Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#52711 - 07/18/02 10:31 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
See, I knew you Spaniards were just as patriotic and nationalistic as we in the US. LET'S TAKE BACK A LITTLE ISLAND AND THEN LEAVE, GUNS A BLAZIN IF NEED BE! (sounds a little franco like). I guess, as a very proud American, I'm tired of the pot calling the kettle black. Now, you just need an anthem with words.
Remember, make believe spanish pacifists, MOST Morrocan people are good hard working people and the Spanish economy needs them!
Many people on this site sound very very racist!!!!!!!

#52712 - 07/19/02 02:35 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
jads Offline

Loc: Madrid
Toddy
Patriot=Franquista??????
¿¿¿¿De que vas tio!!!

#52713 - 07/19/02 03:53 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Uh, the difference is we're not taking it too seriously...

#52714 - 07/19/02 09:47 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Franco? Who was he? :p When I was born he was already death... Do not confuse things toddy.

What we have here is nothing about patriotism nor about who has the control of a desert island, but a free democratic country fighting to defend its rights against a dictatorship ruled by an absolutist king which do not respect international diplomatic rules.

There are 250,000 moroccians working legally in Spain, and 1,500,000 moroccians which pass through Spain coming from other european countries, going back to their country. Absolutely no problem with them. It is their government which want to tense the situation, not them (at least not yet).

Besides, Asterault and the others were only joking... (and they are not spaniards, but just live here...).

Fernando

#52715 - 07/19/02 11:38 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Here is a little tongue-in-cheek humorous website about the Perejil Island Conflict .

Some of you might find it offensive eek (advanced warning) but I thought the likes of Asterault and Calibasco would get a chuckle out of it!

wink

#52716 - 07/19/02 12:40 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Thank you for that hilarious site! I recommend the "Imágenes" link...Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my pants. laugh

That reminds me of an old poster I saw in Bilbao (and subsequently bought from an HB member): It had the Batman character played by Michael Keaton, but he was called "Pazman" and wore the tricorner of the Guardia Civil...does anyone remember that classic from a decade ago? This site reminded me of it as they had random pictures of leaders and entertainment figures with clever quotes underneath them...

#52717 - 07/19/02 12:50 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
In your theatre soon:

#52718 - 07/19/02 04:58 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Fernando,
do you really live in Spain. There are still a lot of Franco supporters (who would love to go back to those days) AND there is a growing far rightist movement. And is Spain a true democracy if the King must sign certain things?

I guess if it makes you feel good and you can now beat your chests machismo like to take back the little tiny disputed island, then so be it. Just beat away! Ole!

#52719 - 07/19/02 08:11 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well Toddy, that is your opinion, an opinion that I don't agree at all.

First of all you should know that what you call "Franco supporters" (how can anyone support someone who is dead...) have 6,000 votes over 20 million total votes. If that is the growing rightist movement...

Perhaps you call "Franco supporters" to the ruling parting (Partido Popular). In that case I may assure you that the Partido Popular is far, far away to the left than your Democrat Party (which is the main "leftist" party in the States).

"And is Spain a true democracy if the King must sign certain things?"

Yes. We voted in a Constitution what model of country we want, and we decided to have a Parlamentary Monarchy. I don't mind if it is the King or a Republic's President who sign things. What I mind is that we have the ability to decide our rulers (and the King has no executive power). That is democracy. If Spain is not a democracy for its King then, what are United KINGDOM, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweeden,...?

Morocco is not a democracy because the King has absolute power. He has the executive power (decides in every issue of the country), he has the legislative power (because he dedices which is the ruling party), and has also control of the judicial power. So moroccians are not able to decide which their rulers are. That is the reason Morocco is a dictatorship.

"I guess if it makes you feel good and you can now beat your chests machismo like to take back the little tiny disputed island, then so be it. Just beat away! Ole!"

Don't you think that is a child statement?

No, I don't really care for that island. I don't mind if the Morocco government wants to negotiate is sobeirgnity with our government. What I do care is that they take it by arms invading it and the next second they say they are going to do the same with Ceuta and Melilla, two spanish cities in which the 99% of its population wants to be spanish (40% of which are muslims, jews or hinduists).

It seems as if UK may reconquer the Fackland Islands, or the USA may attack Irak, but we can't protect our population because that is to be very macho...

Do you even know what the moroccian arguments are for claiming those territories? They are near to them. With the same argue line, Alaska or Greenland should be canadian, French Guyana should be venezolan, and Hawaii a posession of some pitty pacific country.

So please, think twice before stating such things...

Fernando

#52720 - 07/19/02 11:19 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Please don't drag the US into the situation in reference to Parsley Island, or even sit there and throw out inuendo that the US was an aggressor against Iraq. The US acted in defense of a nation that was over-run by the Iraqis, and with a mandate from the UN, along with assistance from Muslim nations. There is no comparison, and to say we should surrender Alaska & Hawaii is as absurd. It doesn't have anything to do with a football field sized piece of rock that's in the Gibraltar area. Hell! There hasn't been anyone on the island for forty years.

As I indicated in a thread a few months back, it was only a matter of time until Morocco took a stance that Mellila & Ceuta belonged to them, not Spain. The situation over Gibraltar has only strengthened their position in making this claim. If Spain feels they have the right to "demand" that the Rock be turned over to them, the Moroccans feel they have the right to "demand" that Mellila & Ceuta be turned over to them as well. It's local politics, and has nothing to do with dragging up the Falkland Islands, or any other situation from the past. Deal with what is happening now.

As for Spain's "close relationship" with Muslim nations, you can say "adios!" to it. If you step on the toes of one Muslim nation, you make a certain amount of enemies in each of those states, and you can count on them backing Morocco in the end.

Wolf (Who hates to say, "I told you so!," but I did.)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2133 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments