MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#52691 - 07/12/02 01:29 PM Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
In what seems an unprovoked attack a group of morrocian troopers invaded yesterday a very small desert spanish island near Ceuta.

The excuse is that they need it to control the migration fluxes that passes the Estrecho and to control terrorism in Gibraltar. This is obviously false, since the island is barely 200 metres from the moroccian coast (and they could place a base in their territory). But they know that by claiming those reasons they could soft the american and british reactions.

That island is not protected by the NATO agreements, so NATO has stated that the conflict is a bilateral issue.

None of the press of the dictatorial state of Morocco has reflected the conflict. In the case Spain reacts military, the moroccian population will think that Spain attacked first.

They have done it now, before the summer, because they know that a military response will harm the tourism in Spain.

So the situation is that if the spanish government does nothing, Morocco has conquered a spanish territory, and they could do the same in Ceuta, Melilla or the Canarian Islands next. If the government responds militaryly, they know the conflict could scalate, and that the NATO and EU will not support the action. Since Morocco says every time they can that they are fighting Al Qaeda terrorism in Gibraltar and their territory, the US has an excelent relationship (as good as the US has modified its point of view regarding the referendum of the Occidental Sahara). Morocco has kicked spanish fishermen from the traditional fish places, and has given permissions to both France and the USA to extract oil and phosphates in their territory.

Also, they have by now introduced legally or ilegally half a million moroccians in spanish territory.

With this perspective the spanish government has only answered Morocco what they want our relationship to be, and to maintain the last status quo of two friendly countries.

We will see how this ends frown

Fernando

#52692 - 07/13/02 06:24 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
As Fernando points out, this situation is getting alot of press here in Spain and has the Spanish authorities concerned although the EU is considering it a matter between Spain and Morrocco for the moment.

I did a little digging around on CNN´s European site and came up with the following article:

Spain-Morocco Conflict

Certainly something to keep an eye on.

#52693 - 07/14/02 06:39 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
The story was on the front page of The Guardian here in the UK yesterday. They pointed out that this could not have been done without the consent of the Moroccan king, whose wedding celebrations are underway this weekend I think. The story mentioned that so far the King has not carried out the democratic reforms he promised upon taking the throne and this has come as a disappointment to many Morrocans. We'll just have to see how this develops and I think its a time for cool heads all round.

#52694 - 07/14/02 12:37 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
I havn't seen anything about this incident in the papers here in the U.S., nor on the TV news. I think that the news is too consumed with the stock market, the drought(at least in my area of NC), and worldcom. The first time I heard of this was this morning on yahoo España. ...that's my two cents...
PFitz

#52695 - 07/14/02 04:59 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I saw a blurb about this in today's Chicago Tribune, but nothing else.

If Bricamb is correct about Morraccans disatisfaction with political reform, then this begins to smell like the Argintine invasion of Falkland Islands in 1982. Cause an international crisis to stifle dissent at home.

If push really comes to shove here (unlikely), you can bet the US will back its NATO ally, Spain.

#52696 - 07/14/02 10:11 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
possibly kurt, but if Morocoo is claiming that it is contuining to fight Al Qeada terrorism(helping the US with the war on terroism)and has set up a good relationship with the US, I could see the US supporting Morocco. It's interesting, I could possibly see it go either way.
PFitz

#52697 - 07/15/02 04:33 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
This has been in the New York Times from the start and is on CNN as well.

Morocco is posturing, and this stems from their young and by all accounts foolish king, who is endangering his country's well being. Of course Spain will not attack Morocco, but they might suspend their aid (and the EU might also) and eject some of the Moroccan seasonal workers here, whos remittances are valuable for their economy.

Who's signing up? We'll fight them in the air... on the ground... laugh

#52698 - 07/15/02 11:28 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Nuke Rabat! Nuke Rabat! And take back the Spanish Sahara while you're at it! ¡Bastardos marroquíes! How dare they overrun an uninhabited island...and with a huge military force of 24! rolleyes This to me is a lot like the invasion of Americans that go to Cancún every spring and raise the American flag there. The Moroccans will soon understand why Perejil is uninhabited and leave...even if it takes the Spanish military to "show" them why it's uninhabited.

CaliBasco [Who has neither been to nor plans to go to Morocco...unless they serve La Casera there]

#52699 - 07/16/02 06:26 AM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
July 11, 2002, a day which will live in infamy, the goats of Perejil Island were suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Kingdom of Morocco. Well, actually 12 blokes in a rowboat, but who's counting?

War! The goats must be freed!

#52700 - 07/16/02 05:11 PM Re: Morocco invades the Perejil's Island
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As mentioned - the NY Times and CNN have been covering the Perejil (aka Parsley) situation quite completely.

Asterault - your sense of humour seems to be developing a bit of distinctive Wolfishness wink !!!

I was laughing out loud at a couple of your comments.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments