Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#52649 - 08/06/02 11:26 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Dreamz Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
[censored], what a fuss about the topic if gays or straights should have their own prides... Maybe in the good old days where the old queens 'n hags are talking about the idea was to show your pride, leting the big mean world know who you are... Nowadays there's still something left of that spirit, though I don't think it's the main thought... Spaniards, and especially those in Madrid, will take every oppertunity to celebrate anything, to have an awesome party!

Unfortunately, I wasn't there (but hey, I saw the Amsterdam gay parade, jejeje) but my friends have made a video so I won't miss that much (I can't even believe my own words here...) Next year better!!!

#52650 - 08/06/02 07:10 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
I just want to say a quick 'brindis' to SRedw for his mature and logical approach to the whole thing. you are a compliment to the gay cause.

Also, Calibasco, i think you are responsible for possibly the most hilarious posts on this message board! you rool!

how can the 'gay pride parade' post NOT engage the political aspect..?

i am also glad to have missed that parade. i have total respect for individuals that are gay. i don't need to be reminded that they exist. heterosexuals exist too, right?

i have a problem with anyone that flaunts their sexuality in public, male, female, slut, gigolo, pimp, whatever. if two men want to hold hands, big deal. same with two women. if they want to peck each other on the cheek, big deal. just don't go tonsil hockey on us in public, gay or hetero. involved demonstrations of either are equally tacky.

so how does this parade support or promote equal rights? i'm sure it does nothing but perpetuate stupid stereotypes that many gay people would like to be rid of.

whatever the result, i do believe that many people want the gay community to feel like they are equal but don't think a parade is the best way to demonstrate it. i have gay friends that do agree (ok, two gay friends that agree).

awaiting the onslaught...

andrew
:wq

#52651 - 08/07/02 10:59 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

Andrew,

Thank you also for such a mature response. I think that people who have to flaunt their sexuality should get a hotel room. Now, you can imagine the number of gays who think that I am crazy because of the way that I think. In Madrid, I saw many men who flaunted openly that they were gay and it was such a shame to see. It made me cringe because I don't know of any woman who acts or walks in that manner. I've asked many of my female friends why they don't walk like that and they said that it makes their back hurt.

All in all, I am comfortable with my sexuality and feel that it isn't a major part of who I am to determine my way of living life.

I found that Madrid was more open about being gay. When I move back in January, I will still miss the GAY PRIDE PARADE because I choose not to be a part of it.

Shawn

#52652 - 08/08/02 03:21 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Shawn,

trust me, i understand the barrage of contention that would/does come your way when you stand tall to your argument. i suppose it's that way with many of the age old debates; politics, abortion, religeon, etc...

i think the parade supporters are probably in the majority, but with good examples like yourself, and a couple of dear friends of my own, maybe more respect can be created in this harsh world.

¡viva españa!

andrew
:wq

#52653 - 08/09/02 02:35 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

Andrew,

Thanks once again. This thread stillhas a long way to go, but at leat there are level-headed people on this message board.

Shawn

#52654 - 08/11/02 09:11 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I think Shawn & Andrew addressed the issue very well. Taking pride in who we are as an individual, regardless of lifestyle, politics, race, nationality, or religion, can be done with dignity and grace. It sends a message to everyone that we're not all that different after all.

Wolf

#52655 - 08/11/02 04:05 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Indeed, "Pride" is no longer serving the purpose it once did.

Unfortunately, those who feel threatened (in the US it's usually the Christian Fundamentalists) by the concept of full equality for homosexuals use select images from these celebrations to justify their regressive dogma.

Being that most “homophobia,” or negative views towards gay men and women, is based on misunderstanding - and not irrational hate - a more sophisticated way to educate would be helpful. Many people are starting to realize these "Pride" celebrations may not be accomplishing their intended goal.

Regardless, important for heterosexuals to understand "Pride" still functions as a mechanism for many gay men and women to articulate themselves as legitimate members of society. To stand up, in full view of the world, and let it be known who they really are … not conforming to old societal standards.

Unfortunately, particular images are often misinterpreted and used by religious zealots to justify their belief gay men and women should remain second-class citizens. And it's not hard to understand how this tactic is mildly successful when most decent people (straight or gay) have no tolerance for public displays of sexuality.

In my opinion, it's time to move on and find better ways to educate the world on why gay men and women should be treated with respect and dignity, and afforded equal treatment in the eyes of the law.

#52656 - 08/11/02 04:12 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
Taking pride in who we are as an individual, regardless of lifestyle, politics, race, nationality, or religion, can be done with dignity and grace.
Exactly ... there are more sophisticated ways to demonstrate equality. As it stands, Pride celebrations usually alienate most individuals who are indifferent on the matter, and cast gay men and women as crass, promiscuous, and deviant. Obviously this is not true, but when the world only sees scantily dressed individuals parading down Main Street ... well, it sends the wrong message.

#52657 - 08/11/02 05:42 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
If you can cheer gored bulls gladiator Ole style, why not cheer some proud gays no matter their dress.

All I can say is OLE [censored]!

Live and let live smile

#52658 - 08/11/02 06:23 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Dear toddy:
As far as I am concerned, the Spanish slang word "[censored]" is a derogatory term for "gay". If you're gay, then maybe you can comfortably say such things but know that I still don't appreciate the term. If you're not gay, then I suggest you try a little harder to be more PC here in our forum. Thank you.

Sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1670 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments