Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#52639 - 07/04/02 12:30 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Yes there really is. And no there's no particular need for protests of a similar nature for heterosexuals unless you feel your rights purely as a heterosexual are being denied. Secondly, heterosexuals don't need to shout out "I'm straight" since you're generally presumed straight until proved otherwise, or they find your collection of Judy Garland records. Visibility is an important step in the gay rights movement. When the government realises how many of us there are and that we can't all fit back into our closets, maybe they'll think of all those votes they have to court.

#52640 - 07/04/02 02:38 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
barry: Couldn't agree with you more. Many, many people (straight and gay) think these events only showcase the extremes. In many ways, yes, the drag queens and leather crews are the most visible. If one were to look deeper, though, they'd realize that to many people the celebrations still represent the continued fight for equality, liberty, and respect - to be proud of one's self, and not ashamed.

Besides, having a good time is healthy!

#52641 - 07/04/02 08:38 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

Eli,

I don't ever see myself exchange vows with another man in a ceremony. That's just not me at all. I don't even want to live with my better half, if I ever find one. I value my personal space highly and don't want anyone to interfere with that at this point in my life. I am on a mission in life right now, one which does not allow me to be sidetracked by falling in love and making a life with someone else. If that means that I will be alone for the rest of my life, well so be it. I want to realize my dreams and aspirations in life first before beginning a relationship. I refuse to give into the way society says that we need to be in a relationship with someone.

As far as marriage being legal, it's not my cup of tea at all and I REFUSE to do it. If other people want to, let them. I won't try to stop any gay couple from getting married at all. I just don't want to spend the rest of my life with someone in that way. I just don't believe that marriage is the ultimate way to show your love for someone.

Hope that answers your question and if you have more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Shawn

#52642 - 07/05/02 09:44 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
JJP, your following comment

Quote:
"... predicting that Spain will afford equal rights to gays before the United States. Most nations in the EU already extend immigration benefits to same-sex relationships. Many Americans ... look to Europe and the UK with a mixture of envy and inspiration"
is so true. And I think this applies to all facets of life, not just the gay rights issues. Europe, in general, is far more open-minded and tolerant socially than the U.S. despite enclaves of strong liberalism in this country.

#52643 - 07/05/02 12:19 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

Quote:
Europe, in general, is far more open-minded and tolerant socially than the U.S.
Unfortunately, this is very true.

#52644 - 07/05/02 04:34 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Unfortunately for who??!! Only joking. I gather you mean for US citizens. Anyway, good luck catching up. I'm looking forward to our first Madridman board gay wedding. If I ever get round to it, you're all invited. I'll post the Hermes wedding list...

#52645 - 07/05/02 05:54 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Why a gay pride parade? Why don't they have "straight pride" parades? Because EVERYDAY is straight pride day. We constantly see heterosexuals kissing and holding hands in public, on TV, movies, etc. Gay pride parades are an opportunity for a sexual minority to have their voice in a world that doesn't always welcome it.

Siento que este asunto no tenga nada que ver con Madrid

#52646 - 07/10/02 05:39 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

To all of those who want to say that this post doesn't have anything to do with Madrid, go back and read the first post and you will see that it does have everything to do with Spain.

Homosexuality is everywhere and if it's a subject that you're not comfortable talking about, please don't participate in the forum.

Thanks,

Shawn

#52647 - 07/10/02 08:17 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

It's my understanding most participants on this thread have been quite open-minded. The only negative remarks have been in regards to the "extremes" of Pride.

#52648 - 07/11/02 08:47 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
Barry, I totally agree that gay people are treated unfairly and as second class citizens. One of my friends is too ashamed to tell his family and friends about his homosexuality, because he is afraid of how they would react. I don't believe there should be any need to feel afraid, because I say that it is LOVE that is a natural thing and whether it be between two members of the same or opposite sex, it is a beautiful thing.
I stand by my feelings about gay pride day, but maybe that's because I'm orig. from a quiet village and know no different than subtlety. However, I would not rule out attending a parade in the future, after all I should really find out what its all about. If it attracts so many people.....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1533 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments