Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#52629 - 07/03/02 08:43 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Well I was on the parade, as were most of my friends, gay and straight alike. Pehaps the use of the word Pride should be looked into. But remember that's a term coined in the US and adopted, maybe unthinkingly, by other gay communities around the world. Of course I'm not particulary proud to be gay, after all it didn't involve much effort on my part, but then again people often use the word erroneously – proud to be American or a New Yorker, for example when this was most likely an accident of birth. The pride as in Gay Pride refers to being proud to express your orientation publically when many sectors of society are less than tolerant. That does take some effort, I think.
Nevertheless, the use of the word pride is dated and smacks of the 70s. This does not undermine the need for such marches. Remember, authorities rarely, if ever, give rights to those who demand them without a struggle. The women's suffrage or civil rights movements come to mind.
So there certainly is a need to take to the streets to fight for equal rights. And that's what the march in Madrid was about.
Rights for same-sex couples, whether you wish to avail of them or not, is hardly something to object to, is it?
Finally, I support anyone's right to dress how they want.

#52630 - 07/03/02 10:22 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

I am not against man dressing as a woman, it's not just my cup of tea and I , personally, don't consider anyone in drag entertainment. Remember, this is my own way of thinking and many will disagree with me, and that's the beauty of life.

As I have stated before, for me, there is no pride in being gay. Why?

What I would look for gay "pride" day to be is a series of conferences to help educate the public about issues that concern us and to push some important agendas to the forefront, but alas, it will never be.

Let's see how this discussion turns out.

Shawn

#52631 - 07/03/02 10:31 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

You cannot talk to me about a struggle. I am African-American and there is no way to compare the struggle of gays to the struggle of any other major group. Many people try and make this comparison and it is on two totally different scales.

Shawn

#52632 - 07/03/02 11:43 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Only 25 years ago, one could go to prison for a sexual act in Spain. Less than 10 years have passed since one could be jailed for gay sex in my native Ireland. We've come a long way since then of course, but mostly thanks to people fighting against repressive legislation. That for me is a struggle. Admittedly there are degrees of struggle, but I never entered into that. I merely said that it's important for all people to fight for what they believe should be their rights.
Bringing the debate back to Spain, I do think the gay /lesbian community has a realistic list of demands on the agenda, and until the government recognises at least these very real concerns, people should continue to lobby, whether it be behind the scenes with politicians, or out on the streets. And in varying states of undress, drag or fetish gear. Rights are for everybody, not just those who conform to the sartorial norm

#52633 - 07/03/02 04:19 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Barry - your post of 8:30am stated the issue perfectly. smile

And as far as dressing in whatever and as whatever, tradition in the Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco has an anything goes attitude for all persuasions - and that race is over a 25 years old.

And now - back to Spain .... wink

#52634 - 07/03/02 07:49 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
SRedw Offline

A very interesting thread indeed. I do agree with you for standing up for your rights and struggling. I don't have a problem with that at all. Race, unfortunately, still rears its ugly head in the US and that WILL NEVER GET OLD.

I am just a gay person that doesn't agree with everything that gays fight for in society. I don't care about maritial rights for gays, because I have no interest in marrying another man. Once again, that's just me.

No matter how hard you try to keep this topic just on Spain, it will not, for Spain is just a tiny speck in the universe, just like all countries we are born in. One will always use his / her home country to help solidify or disagree with a point made about another country.

It doesn't surprise me that just 25 years ago, people were thrown in jail for being gay. Many worse things have happened to people in the past. When the human mind starts to decide what's right and what's wrong and wicked, hateful people get into power, just watch out. We have seen this before and it certainly isn't about to stop now.

We also have to realize that many people who are against homosexuality base everything solely on the bible. Bit as we know, the bible was translated and many things get lost in translation or the translator could've even put his on spin on things. Who knows? But what we do know is the here and now and what people say is evil about homosexuality.

For me, it is natural to be with another man and if people don't want to be bothered with me because of it, to hell with them. I have been doing a lot of things on my own and rarely depend on the acceptance of other people to validate what I do in this life. I am a loner and enjoy my alone time.

Who knows? One day I may meet someone, but until that day comes, I will bask in the glow of my solitude, travel and visit Spain again.

Shawn

#52635 - 07/03/02 11:24 PM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Like many other posters here, I find myself at odds over "Gay Pride." On one hand I agree that anyone has the right to celebrate themselves...on the other, I think Gay Pride is cast about (sensationalized) to others in a manner that disparages us.

In my travels and interactions with many different people, though, I've been reassured that individuals truly accept their fellow humans. It is only the most hateful that conjure such inhumanity.

What many in the world don't understand, though, is the struggle that persists. Personally, I am being forced to leave my home country. My Mexican partner (of three years!) can no longer extend his tech visa, and will have to move back to Mexico. Because I can not sponsor residence for him, we either split or I move south to Guadalajara. I am moving to Mexico.

I feel the need to fight my nation's conservative immigration laws. Conversely, this move will give me the opportunity to become fluent in Spanish, and allow me to experience the grace and hospitality of Mexicans.

How does this fit in with Spain??? I can tie it all together by predicting that Spain will afford equal rights to gays before the United States. Most nations in the EU already extend immigration benefits to same-sex relationships. Many Americans (the whole continent) look to Europe and the UK with a mixture of envy and inspiration.

#52636 - 07/04/02 11:42 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
eli Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
SRedW:

I can completely respect your opinion on all of this, but I can't help but wonder how you can say that you don't care about marriage being legal, that you have to desire to be married to a man. Don't you think that maybe one day you might find that person and want to be married? And don't you think it would be nice to have a choice?

ladoque: right on.

#52637 - 07/04/02 11:44 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
eli Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
SRedW:

I can completely respect your opinion on all of this, but I can't help but wonder how you can say that you don't care about marriage being legal, that you have to desire to be married to a man. Don't you think that maybe one day you might find that person and want to be married? And don't you think it would be nice to have a choice?

ladoque: right on.

#52638 - 07/04/02 11:59 AM Re: Madrid:Gay parade/Chueca 'barrio'
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
Is there REALLY any point in a gay pride day? Its like saying "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm Gay!" Why not have a hetrosexual pride day, or maybe even a bisexual pride day, because that's how ridiculous it is! Gay people say they want to be accepted into normal society, yet they are alienating themselves by having these festivities.
I have a lot of gay friends, and they don't go yelling about their sexuality to all and sundry!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1853 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments