Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52599 - 06/28/02 08:57 AM Jokes about Catalans?
mikeobiku Offline

I have a Catalan friend and he thinks that Catalans are the best people in the world.

What kind of jokes do people from Madrid use about Barcelona? How can I make that guy upset?

Thanks in advance!!

#52600 - 06/28/02 09:57 PM Re: Jokes about Catalans?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
How do you get a Catalan to speak Castellano?

Overcharge him a peseta.

#52601 - 06/29/02 01:03 PM Re: Jokes about Catalans?
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Jokes are based on regional stereotypes, not very politically correct.
About Catalans, the stereotype is that there're very interested in money, are thrifty and cheap, so 99% of the jokes are about this.
I'm not implying all Catalans are like that but it's just their stereotypes, as all regions of Spain have one.

#52602 - 07/01/02 11:17 AM Re: Jokes about Catalans?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Take any ethnic joke and replace the [ethnic group] with "catalán"...and watch the laughs flow!

CaliBasco [Who doesn't know any ethinicty-specific jokes, but loves to interchange the ones he knows with ANY group]

P.S. One I always use is a visual joke: Ask "How does a [catalán] tie his shoes?" then put one leg on a chair, bend over, and reach down to tie the shoe that's on your other leg...and watch the laughs flow [again]! laugh laugh laugh laugh

#52603 - 07/01/02 01:38 PM Re: Jokes about Catalans?
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Aww, c'mon Calibasco, you can't just haphazardly interchange stereotypes...not all the jokes will work for the Catalans...

Seriously, I don't consider Catalans an ethnic group, but rather a linguistic/cultural community, so it's more acceptable to make jokes, the same way there are jokes about all the regions of Spain. And, hey, my grandparents were from Galicia, which seemed to get the brunt of it in terms of the jokes...

So, here's one (maybe it loses something in translation?):
A Catalan needs a hammer to drive in a nail. He tells his son to run over to the neighbor's house and borrow one. Little Pau comes running back and tells his dad that the neighbor didn't want to lend them a hammer, as that would wear it out, and hammers don't grow on trees, you know.
Dad responds, "What a damn cheapskate good for nothing neighbor we've got! OK, Pau, go to my toolbox and get our hammer."

thank you, ladies and gentlemen...I'll be here all week... :p

#52604 - 07/01/02 03:38 PM Re: Jokes about Catalans?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Cooter: Watch me! I've found that it really doesn't matter in Spain who is the butt of the joke...if they're dumb jokes, people laugh, period! laugh

You're right about Gallegos, though. What a bunch of dummies! They deserve to have jokes told about them. wink Actually in Spain it's the chistes de Lepe that seem to be the dummy jokes.

CaliBasco [Who made the crack about gallegos jokingly, but can't wait until he sees the can of worms that others who don't know me will open in defense of our Celtic friends of the northwest]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2020 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments