Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#52559 - 06/14/02 07:24 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
Note that LAB is calling for a strike on the 19th as well. This is probably likely to affect (especially) the north (especially the Basque region, including Navarra).

#52560 - 06/14/02 07:43 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have confirmed that Iberia pilots, Sepla air controllers and Renfe personel is not going to second the strike.

Fernando

#52561 - 06/14/02 07:53 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
Interesting, though I am skeptical. They usually strike at the drop of a sombrero.

#52562 - 06/17/02 07:40 AM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
jmp110372 Offline

#52563 - 06/17/02 05:22 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for all the great info! I talked to a cab driver this morning and he said "todo el pais" should not be working, so you know cabbies will be striking for sure. On the news it said there will be minimal transportation services(25-35% less). The driver also said they will do another strike on the 17th and the 18th of (I think) next month (my spanish isnīt great). From what I could understand, he said that there are many workers that arenīt as activist oriented, like mentioned above, but the second strike in July should be longer to show them they mean business.
Here in madrid I saw maintenance workers taking down huelga signs from bus stops. My flight leaves just the day before on the 19th, so (hopefully) I wonīt get stuck in the middle of the strike. Although, it would be interesting to see how the huelga does effect spain and their workers. Coming from the states where strikes seem to rarely happen it was impressive seeing the solidarity of the bus drivers in Barcelona. If any one is in Spain the 20th Iīd love to hear your accounts or experiences with the huelga.

Missing Spain already!!

EEEK jmp110372! I just read the CNN article. Looks like Weds. is going to be an interesting travel day after all. Does anyone have any info on British Airways!

#52564 - 06/19/02 03:32 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Just thought that I would share. I am on the email distribution list for the Expat Exchange and got this following message about travel warnings to Spain regarding the upcoming strike...

>>>>>Travel Warning: Spain<<<<<<

Full Warning:
http://www.expatexchange.com/dev/sasnetworks.cfm?networkID=212

This Public Announcement alerts Americans to the potential for disruption caused by general strikes planned for Spain June 18-21, 2002 and anti-globalization demonstrations scheduled for June 21-22, 2002.

Three major strikes are being planned for the third week of June 2002. The two largest employee unions in Spain, Union General de Trabajadores (UGT) and Comision de Obrerores (CC.OO.) have called for a general strike for all of Spain on Thursday, June 20, 2002 to coincide with the European Council Summit in Seville. It is anticipated that many segments of the Spanish labor force will participate, including international and domestic airline employees. The Basque provinces have decided to honor the strike on June 19, 2002. In addition, anti-globalization demonstrations are expected to occur on June 21 and 22, 2002, in Seville.

While demonstrations may focus in Seville, nationwide participation has been called for in the general strikes and may cause disruptions throughout Spain, including air travel.

#52565 - 06/19/02 06:19 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Ugh, they started the strike here today (19th) in the Basque country. Itīs such a pain. I didnīt realize how lucky we are in the US to not suffer too much from strikes.

#52566 - 06/20/02 03:24 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Now that today, Thursday, is almost done in Spain, could some Spaniards (or others) please give us a local update as to the situation/feelings of the strike? Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52567 - 06/20/02 04:35 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
Espe3 Offline

I was speaking to my boyfriend this morning about it (he is in Murcia). He said that there were many people who did want to go to work and couldn't because of the Piquetes ( a group of people that get together that support the strike and make it impossible or hard for people to go, and will even cause damage or physical harm to prevent people from working) have made it hard... like there were some parking garages where they had put caulking in the locks so people couldn't get in.

Also, people are very upset about the policeman that died. From what my boyfriend says, although people aren't happy about some of the changes, the majority don't think its a reason to strike and that the strike is a bit frivilous. But if it seems like lots of people supported it, its more appearance than fact, as I said before, they wanted to work, but for different reasons, couldn't. But appearances mean alot... so who knows if it'll work or not!

If he says anything new tonight when I speak with him, I'll post more.

#52568 - 06/20/02 05:04 PM Re: Huelga! General Strike starting June 20th
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Similarly, a lot of people wanted to strike but were threatened by their bosses...
I'm in favour of the strike. It's a bit soon to know how successful the strike was. Not surprisingly, the two sides seem to have spent the day on different planets with the government claiming only 12% of workers stopped working and the unions 90%. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, with a high participation in industry and a lower one in the service sector.
Walking around Madrid today I did get the impression that more shops and bars were closed than were open, and there was a Sunday-like atmosphere.
The march this evening to Sol was one of the biggest I've been on. It's hard to guage when you're on the ground, but there were perhaps a couple of hundred thousand. A figures war will no doubt erupt tomorrow.
I'll keep you posted. I have to get back to some activism now...!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2595 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments