Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52537 - 06/13/02 01:56 PM Spanish Phone Etiquette
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I've recently been telephoning hotels in Spain for information and I have noticed that the reception staff, at the end of the conversation, never say "goodbye" they just slam the phone down. This may seem petty to some but to my British ears this non-response to my Adios seems a bit harsh - even rude... is this standard practice in Spanish telephone etiquette? Maybe they just didn't like the sound of my voice!

#52538 - 06/13/02 02:05 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
Espe3 Offline

Yes, it may be a bit petty, if you're calling Hostels instead of Hotels, well, you can't expect total undivided attention to your call... Its not standard, usually there is some kind of goodbye, whether it be ciao, hasta luego or SOMETHING! I don't know why you could be encountering such a problem on what seems to be a regular basis for you. Maybe its an issue with your Spanish? Or are you speaking in English? They may not be familiar with how other people from other countries speak on the phone! I know it was confusing when I was taking french and my professor was telling us the different ways to use Merci and what else had to be added or not to mean different things!
Hasta luego!

#52539 - 06/13/02 04:14 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
richardmadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Strange.. I usually get "Adios, muchas gracias".

#52540 - 07/27/02 09:07 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
when i call my friends in Spain, they often say "hasta luego" or "bye". But these are people that I know, so it may be a different situation

#52541 - 07/27/02 11:20 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Interesting! When I called to confirm my reservations, most persons I spoke with said goodbye. The only exception was at the Hotel Los Peregrinos in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, there when I said "Mil gracias por la informacion, adios." (Many thanks for the information, thanks.) The woman said, "Vale" and hung up.

I remember my granny (who was from Vigo, MSRIP) using "vale" and I thought that was like saying "No problem" Am I wrong? rolleyes

#52542 - 07/31/02 02:45 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Vale Booklady.

#52543 - 07/31/02 11:22 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
In May when I called my four star hotel in Spain from the United States, they just hung up.......leaving me to say goodbye to a "click".
I also thought it was rude.

#52544 - 08/01/02 12:34 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I have found that here in Euskadi, a lot of times people will say... Vale, Venga, agur, adios, luego- or ANY combination rolleyes
Another thing I thought was kind of funny when I first got here how the phone is typically answered...si, digame, dime, RARELY, hola.

I have found that "vale" has MANY different meanings...ok, good, no problem, whatever- it seems to kind of be used as a filler, or transition word.

Another one that really confused me at first..."venga", it isnt always used as a verb.
When I asked my host family, they said it could mean anything... my family will even sometimes use it as a form of "adios".
smile Kelly

#52545 - 08/06/02 12:21 AM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Maybe they are telling you that you ARE the weakest link!. jk
I've never been hung up on w/o hearing some kind of goodbye. Maybe you have one of those new phones that save you money by saving you time? ie. petty little goodbyes. ( you save one second with each phone call! Where can I get a phone like that? Sign me up!)

#52546 - 08/06/02 04:12 PM Re: Spanish Phone Etiquette
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Take it personal. Since I'm such a nice guy all the time, I've never had the aforementioned "hang up". They probably are incensed that you cannot speak Spanish as they would like or maybe just don't like Brits. Either way, if you were a nicer person, you may get better results.

CaliBasco [Who never offends anyone, just check my ETA posts out!] :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1677 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments