MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52423 - 06/10/02 10:57 AM Re: Barcelona is terrible
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I OBJECT! mad Your honor, I move to strike rash generalizations like this one posted by Fernando:

eek
Quote:
It is true that the people of the south of Spain are more charming and friendly than the ones from the north.
confused

Who says "it is true"? confused You? confused I find fault with that line of thinking, and have found the people everywhere I go in the north just as warm and receptive to me as anywhere else in Spain I've been.

That FACT has only been confirmed by my most recent trip. I had locals walking along with us pointing out the way to go, inviting us for tapas, drinks, etc. Remember that I'm GENERALIZING in the geographical sense...this happened everywhere we went, and not just in the pilgrim albergues and pilgrimage places.

Shame on those who think the north is "cold" and "less charming or friendly". On second thought, keep telling everyone these lies...then the north will be more unspoiled and wonderful for people like me who appreciate it!!! :p

#52424 - 06/10/02 02:28 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
richarmadrid, I love that book by robert Hughes. It was wonderful!! Unfortunately I read it after I returned from Spain. Can't wait to get to Barcelona again now that I have a better historical/architectural sense.

#52425 - 06/11/02 10:24 AM Re: Barcelona is terrible
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Bricamb, I don´t know about Cataluña, but I know that in the Basque Country nationalists are friendly just like everyone in general. It´s not that they are only concerned only about their little "own little world", but more a struggle for recognition. Regional Languages were repressed under Franco and so now people have strong feelings about things like that.

#52426 - 06/11/02 01:08 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
miche_dup1 Offline

About certain people looking at you and then obviously going for their bags, belongings and kids as if you are going to 'snatch' their stuff,
well a lady did that to me in Madrid and it just made me laugh! I luuuuuuv Madrid and even though i've been conned by bar men, coaxed into ordering things i don't want, cheated with bills 10 x what i should be paying i still Luuuuuuuuuuuv Spain.(no one gets away with this! not with me!)
As for the Northerners being colder than Southerners - I just don't know! While in Andalucian towns searching for olive oil I found that some people would run into their homes and bolt the doors and then peek through windows! and some people stare and cross to the other side of the road, and continue to stare! laugh (all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned) But then a lady at an olive oil factory was majestic in welcoming us and was so joking and friendly, she was just exposed more to foreigners, that's all it is at the end of the day. .... but Andalucia is a gem!
As for the northern parts i've had no problems, but many of my Spanish friends from Madrid would certainly act differently and cautiously while in Basque regions and Barcelona, but only because they would be treated unfairly, once their accent would be established. rolleyes .
So at the end of the day we are all just sharing our opinions and experiences, and these are ALL valid, I think my sweeeping generalisation comment would be; nothing wrong with opinions and always arrive at a place with an open mind smile

..by a very suspicious looking, not to be trusted desperado type olive oil in guitar case Londoner.
Whose next?

#52427 - 06/11/02 01:10 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
miche_dup1 Offline

By the way
everyone is entitled to my opinion! oops everyone is entitled to their opinion! wink

#52428 - 06/11/02 02:59 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Try coming up North to Yorkshire miche! Sure you'll be treated with suspicion here! That accent of yours simply will not be tolerated. eek

You, know, mad woman weilds olive oil bottle in unconcerned manner - doesn't realise consequences of said action . . . speaks in southern namby tones . . . . eek

Sorry, off topic MM, so back to it - yes miche, I'm entitled to your opinion. rolleyes

Jo

#52429 - 06/11/02 05:28 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
miche_dup1 Offline

Hey Jo!
You guys are the ones with the funny accents-not us Londoners wink .....cor blimey! :p tee hee
Luv Miche

#52430 - 06/13/02 07:58 PM Re: Barcelona is terrible
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
All of you Brits have odd accents. Everyone knows the "King's English" is spoken in California, dude. :p wink

#52431 - 06/14/02 01:21 AM Re: Barcelona is terrible
Mama Chula Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Calibasco said:
Everyone knows the "King's English" is spoken in California, dude.

...fer shure, Cali!

Saludos dude,
Mama Chula
"former surfer girl" from a loooooong time ago! rolleyes

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1690 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments