Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52394 - 06/03/02 02:40 PM euro vs peseta
RayRay Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I know the majority of Europe uses the euro now. Shall I carry some pesetas, just in case? I was planning on exchanging some US currency into both euro and pesetas. The major tourist cities in Spain, I assume, use the euro everywhere. Are the small towns the same way, or do they still use pesetas?

#52395 - 06/03/02 03:05 PM Re: euro vs peseta
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Everything is in euros now in Spain. The last day for using pesetas was February 28th, from that day you can't do anything with them, except going to the bank and change them into euros.

#52396 - 06/03/02 03:22 PM Re: euro vs peseta
RayRay Offline

Thanks Castiza. laugh Do you happen to know if Greece still uses their currency along with the euro? I went their last year, and I used their currency instead of the euro.

#52397 - 06/03/02 04:34 PM Re: euro vs peseta
Espe3 Offline

RayRay,
The euro was not available for public use until Jan. 1 of this year. Up until now, banks and the stock market had already introduced the Euro to active use, but it wasn't really "real money" so to speak. This is why all last year, there were still no euros to be found.

Anywhere you travel, Spain, Greece, any of these places... if someone gives you the old national currency, they are making your life very difficult, as you will not be able to use it anywhere, except the bank, and that will be to exchange them. Even now, at least in spain, you can't go to any bank to exchange- the time limit has passed for that, you now have to go to one of the national banks to exchange the $. Also NO bank will give you pesetas, dracmas, francs, marcs or any of the previously used currency for any of the countries part of the EU. So really, your plan isn't even an option. Euros it is! smile And it won't matter if you tell the bank you're going to Spain, or wherever, they'll give you euros, and won't worry about them being country specific. (Depending on where the euro originated from, the front will have a different face than the others, each country was allowed to make them a little special for them.) But they are used in all countries, and have the same value. It will be cool to see when you purchase something in spain and they give you euros back and one is from germany and another from france! smile Definately stop to check them out!

Good luck! And don't ask about getting actual pesetas or dracmas, or people might look at you like you're growing a 3rd eye! (Unless of course, your asking and want a coin or bill of the old money for a collection! I know I saved a couple of coins! smile )

#52398 - 06/03/02 05:50 PM Re: euro vs peseta
RayRay Offline

I think that pretty much straightens out my money concerns. Having one currency in my wallet will make my life much easier. Thanks for the details Espe3. laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2384 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments