Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#52363 - 06/06/02 07:55 AM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
toroloco Offline

my opinion is that Madrid is very clean. I usually stay in el barrio Salamanca. that area is very clean and pleasant. the rest of Madrid is exceptionally clean. i used to live in the Pacific Northwest and i realize that some from these less developed, newer areas of the world, are shocked by the appearance of the rest of the world.
thanks for your opinion. laugh

#52364 - 06/06/02 11:32 AM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I'm glad someone mentioned Paris poopy, because it is the same problem over there!
I think Madrid is no less/no more dirty than some other European cities, and i'm sorry that is the only thing you can remember about it!
As far as the bars' floors are concerned, mi esposo says "the more papers and shrimp heads on the floor, the better the bar!" You gotta love the shrimp heads, Wolf, don't forget to suck the juice out of the heads before chucking them, that's the best part! eek I agree with you, on the shrimp heads, at our restaurant, i always explain to the Americans the the gambas a la plancha we serve have the heads, 90% will cancel that order, we (Americans as a whole) just don't like our food staring back at us!

p.s. everytime I smell deisel from a bus, I think of Madrid! rolleyes

#52365 - 06/06/02 12:55 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Now the new buses run on natural gas, and the diesel buses are getting fewer!

#52366 - 06/06/02 01:20 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There's an interesting article/interview on Madridiario.es entitled "Las calles de Madrid están mucho más limpias que hace unos años" ("The streets of Madrid are much cleaner than a few years ago"). Here's part of the article, but you can read the rest (In Spanish, of course) HERE :

Entrevista

Julio Martín Pérez: Barrendero del distrito de Salamanca

"Las calles de Madrid están mucho más limpias que hace unos años"
Madrid.- Ana Narbón Fotos: Javier Prieto

Ser barrendero no es la típica profesión que, de pequeño, se idolatra con la frase: 'yo, de mayor, quiero ser barrendero', pero, sin embargo, es un trabajo que realizan cientos de personas en la capital de España con la cabeza bien alta, ya que sin su labor sería imposible mantener una gran urbe como Madrid sin restos de suciedad. MDO ha querido conocer de cerca en qué consiste el trabajo diario de un operario de la limpieza que dedica su vida laboral a limpiar lo que el resto de los ciudadanos ensucian.

¿Desde cuándo lleva trabajando como barrendero?
El año 94 decidí probar en la profesión de barrendero. No tiene nada que ver con lo que hacía antes, ya que he sido fotógrafo profesional durante media vida mía -ahora tengo 56 años-; luego fuí montador de electrónica en la empresa Philips durante 16 años, hasta que cerraron la fábrica y entones me quedé sin trabajo. A partir de ahí fue cuando me hice barrendero de Madrid.
...read the rest of the article, with photos, HERE .

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52367 - 06/12/02 08:20 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
You're right Wolf, anything can be called "art" or "culture" or "pretty" or "clean."

The urbanization processes that are taking place are not under control in Madrid and are resulting in a rising crime rate and dirtier alleys(yes, I know they do clean the major streets at night).
I think it is culturally dangerous to accept this process as world-view. I think that Madrid(and the rest of Spain) could learn a lot from Barcelona on many fronts; starting with how to keep a city clean.

#52368 - 06/13/02 07:17 AM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
miche_dup1 Offline

Has anyone been to London!
Well, Picadilly, King street, Regent's Street for example. If we choose to focus on dirt rather than whats around us then LOndon streets are 'filthy'! But London is great!
What I hate most is the gum that people just spit out which then forms a permanent plaque-like disease on the lovely paving of London add to that gallons of spit and phlegm(a favourite pass time where people are in competition to see whose has the most clinging factor, yes they spit on walls too! eek )to that add the constant grease and grim, yuk - it is actually a health risk and a reason why carpets in the house is not a favourable choice. I think spain, including Madrid, hasn't lost the human touch to their cities, the streets are cleaned with care and pride compared to London, oh and errr late at night i have to hop scotch over streams of pee and drunkards, (who pee and sleep at the same time),this/they don't always get hosed down! and....here people definAtely don't scoop the poop instead owners smile reassuringly at their pet as if to say 'good job'and move on.
obviously this doesn't deter tourists, who like me LOVE LONDON. laugh

#52369 - 06/13/02 07:44 AM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Remember to say hello next time you step over me,miche rolleyes

#52370 - 06/13/02 01:39 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
miche_dup1 Offline

Spike, i'm to be found under Waterloo Bridge in my cardboard box, i'll treat you to someone's left over beer, least i think it's beer, and we can share the cigarette butts :p

#52371 - 06/13/02 04:21 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Move over, miche!

Is there space me? We need some practice incase our room falls through in Madrid! wink

Oops, sorry spike1, didn't see little old you lying there too! eek

Only drink it if it's clear and colourless miche! Warm Larios is fine by me. Not interested in the cigarette buts though!

Back to the subject - actually, Huddersfield is pretty damn filthy sometimes. The subterranean areas are comletely rat infested and the bin men that visit me leave a nasty trail of rubbish down our lovely lane. frown Give me Madrid any day.

Jo

#52372 - 06/14/02 07:12 PM Re: Is Madrid dirty? or am I exageratting?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
On a related note, and also at www.madridiario.es there is a follow up article entitled: "Los años de Madrid están mucho más limpios que unas calles"

CaliBasco [Who makes sure that his ano is always cleaner than the calle]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments