Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52322 - 05/09/02 06:07 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Sorry I forgot, by resources I meant natural resources,Spain has practicaly no petrol or energy sources, metals, minerals, wood, water is scarce.....

It's only a humble opinion but I'd love to agree with you that the situation was similar, but in natural resources there is just no comparison possible. Regarding technology, we have not had the ability to generate the technology, again no comparison. But Spain's situation is not good comparing with other EU countries in basic science, R&D,.....

All those aspects give some economies a competitive edge that our's just doesn't have, and it's compensated in other ways, specially in the balance of the services.

I was only sharing a thought, that is really a common place among the economists here. I never meant the post to be agresive in any way. Sorry I will not do it again.

#52323 - 05/09/02 08:25 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Hola,

I appreciate all the responses that people have given..that is great when a post generates interest!

Someone wrote that "How many Americans work an 8 hour day?" Since I'm civil service, I work 8-4:30 and even though I"m getting laid off, I intend to stay in this...

Everyone always tells me "you should be a spanish teacher" or a translator.....but for me, I do not believe that working is something that provides a great amount of fulfillment....I would rather have a life outside of work....I do other activities to keep my spanish going like keeping a journal, watching univision, and going to conversation groups.

Anyway, I digress. But while many Americans do work more than 8 hours a day, many do not....Sorry I'm not trying to be critical, just putting out there what I know.

Brien

#52324 - 05/09/02 10:12 PM Re: Time off in Spain
SRedw Offline

I am an exception to the rule. I work just 5 hours a day. I teach on the college level and love it. I don't work hard. I hardly work, but I get the job done. I don't let anything in this life stress me and I don't complain about my job. I am on this earth to enjoy life and not let anything grate against my last nerve.

NO MORE DRAMA IN MY LIFE.

Shawn

#52325 - 05/10/02 08:39 AM Re: Time off in Spain
Miguelito Offline

Although the legal situation in Spain is as the previous posters said, there are, unfortounately, some workers who can't enjoy them. There are a lot of precarious jobs where day make you a 24 hours contract, or a work contract, or they even pass you from one firm to another, but working on the same place, paying you the holidays. As the salary is not big, it's not too much money, but if you want to keep the job, you must do it. mad

#52326 - 05/10/02 09:39 AM Re: Time off in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Nativo, I don't think you offended anyone smile . The beauty of the board is it gives us such a wonderful opportunity to learn others' perceptions and views -it gives us a much greater understanding of eachother, etc.

Brian, I wasn't saying ALL Americans work long hours - just that many do. Honestly - I've found that is mostly because they haven't a clue about how to organize their time & priorities - and/or their job forces them to spend sooooo much time in meetings - they have to work extra hours to get the core job done. Is this - just possibly - gross mismanagement? rolleyes

#52327 - 05/10/02 10:18 AM Re: Time off in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Nativo,
Please don't feel you offended me... I was just confused and your explanation made me understand what you meant, and you are right. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2452 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments