MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52312 - 05/08/02 06:49 PM Time off in Spain
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Hola,

In general, what is the average amount of time that Spaniards receive off for each year? Is there a standard amount or does it vary with each job as it does here in the states. I am currently working in a civil service job at the University of Minnesota...unfortunately I'm getting laid off...but I will probably stay working in civil service because you get a lot more time off than does the average person working for Corporation X

En general, cuantos dias de vacaciones reciben los espanoles cada ano? Hay una quantidad especifica o lo depende en el tipo de trabajo como en los EEUU. Ahora trabajo en un trabajo de servicio civil en la Universidad de Minnesota....desafortunadamente, mi trabajo va a terminar...pero pienso que voy a continuar trabajar en el servicio civil porque una persona recibe mas dias de vacaciones de que recibe la persona tipica que trabaja para Corporacion X.

Sorry, just wanted to practice writing spanish.

Gracias,

Brien

#52313 - 05/08/02 08:07 PM Re: Time off in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, Brien, I am sorry to hear you're losing your job here at the U! Best of luck tracking down something wonderful, with lots of vacation time!!!

Tara smile

#52314 - 05/08/02 08:37 PM Re: Time off in Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Brien,

Here's the info (in Spanglish, since you seem to want to practise....)

In general, we get either 23-24 'días laborables', or 30 'días naturales' off. Plus, there're usually 1-2 days for what's called 'asuntos propios'.

#52315 - 05/09/02 04:35 AM Re: Time off in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
In addition to what PIM posted, there seems to be some sort of Festival or National holiday here every 2-3 weeks!! laugh For example, in Madrid:

National Holidays

Jan 1 Año Nuevo
Mar 29 Good Friday
May 1 Labor Day
August 14 Asunción de la Virgen
Oct 12 National Holiday (Columbus Day for Americans)
Nov 1 All Saints Day
Dec 6 Spanish Constitution Day
Dec 25 Christmas

Elective holidays for Madrid:

Jan 7 Monday after Epiphany
Mar 19 St. Joseph´s Day (also Fathers´ Day)
Mar 20 Holy Thursday

Holidays for the Autonomous Community of Madrid:

May 2 Fiesta de la Comunidad de Madrid

Holidays just for the City of Madrid:
May 15 San Isidro

Whew!! Lots of partying going on here!! laugh

#52316 - 05/09/02 05:48 AM Re: Time off in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I think a month's vacation is pretty common, not just in Spain but throughout western Europe. One not so pleasant feature: it's not the employee's discretion. Many offices just close their doors for the month of August and everyone gets their vacation at that time. eek

Thursday and Friday of Semana Santa and the Monday following Easter are holidays for many impresas. It's not unusual for people to take all of Semana Santa off and go to the shore or the mountains. rolleyes

#52317 - 05/09/02 08:45 AM Re: Time off in Spain
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
The legal minimum is I think, 30 days plus 15 for national and local holidays.

#52318 - 05/09/02 02:06 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Nativo Offline

Barry, I don't fully agree. From legal perspective, vacation time is specified by convenio (either sector or company) and if I recall correctly, they define a "generation rule" that is every X days worked you earn 1vacation days (working day). In practice most people earn around 22-24 vacation days (to apply to working days only) that makes around a month but if applied skillfully (does this word exist?)you can have a lot more time.

Plus to this time convenios generally state also one or two puentes. Public employees enjoy much, much better conditions that these.

Nevertheless, we need to put that in context. It may seem generous from US perspectives but we need to consider two facts:
- Spanish vacations and conditions are nothing compared to Germany, France or Italy. The have more national holidays and more vacation time allowed.
- Unfortunately, working long hours is the norm specially in some sectors, in IT working days of 10-12 hours a day are just "the way it is". When a country with no resources and no technology is growing faster than its environment there is only one explanation, productivity. Despite the stereotype we work harder and for a lot less money than the other europeans

#52319 - 05/09/02 02:13 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Thanks for reminding me that I only have 10 days a year eek frown mad rolleyes

"When a country with no resources and no technology... " Nativo, what do you mean with NO RESOURCES and NO TECHNOLOGY???? I was working in Spain and I don't see the difference between the technology available in Spain and the one available in US confused and resources are pretty much the same confused

#52320 - 05/09/02 02:34 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Nuria - if I may add one more comment to yours - how many Americans work an 8 hour day? Not very many! frown The 10 hour+ days that Nativo mentioned are common in the US - still without all those wonderful days Chica listed plus August!

#52321 - 05/09/02 06:04 PM Re: Time off in Spain
Nativo Offline

By "no technology" I meant technology developed in the country. Unfortunately, using, buying or licensing technology from others don't add up much to the progress of the country. It's our old curse "que inventen otros".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2437 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments