Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52141 - 04/08/02 11:28 AM Semana Santa
chibispacekase Offline

Loc: California
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the cultural celebration of Semana Santa, what region of spain is most famous for their celebrations, from which region do the festivities come, what are the dates of Semana Santa, and what the processions are like during Semana Santa? And I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could find 2 pictures of religious statues one might see during a procession?
I anyone could help me I would be forever grateful! THANK YOU!!!!
!SpaceKase!

#52142 - 04/09/02 12:08 PM Re: Semana Santa
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Is someone putting a report together???? laugh As is evidenced by prior posters on this board, we won't do your research for you, but we'll surely point you in the right direction:

Search this board as there is ample information in prior forums on this topic. You may want to also search the web with these four cities as starting points:

Sevilla
Zamora
Valladolid
Medina del Campo

I'm certain you'll find the two pictures you're looking for there as well. Good luck on your assignment...a little hunting will get you what you want.

#52143 - 04/10/02 11:12 PM Re: Semana Santa
chibispacekase Offline

Thanks...no offense or anything, but I am not doing a project. I am actually going to Spain over the summer and I am trying to get some info. from the experts here.

#52144 - 04/11/02 05:51 AM Re: Semana Santa
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Chibispacekase writes:
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the cultural celebration of Semana Santa, what region of spain is most famous for their celebrations, what are the dates of Semana Santa, and what the processions are like during Semana Santa?
Semana Santa, or 'Holy Week' as it is called in English is the week leading up to Easter Sunday. It is more a religious observance than a 'cultural celebration' (as you describe it). The dates for Semana Santa vary, just like they do on the religious calendar where you are; and there are no 'festivities' per se. Holy Thursday and Good Friday processions happen all over Spain - the most colorful may be in Andalucia. We saw that of la Virgen de la Macarena in Sevilla a few years ago.
The statues reside in their Churches and are only taken out and processed around the neighborhood for the Semana Santa processions.

#52145 - 04/11/02 06:23 PM Re: Semana Santa
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
AT Telepolis.com you'll find a "monográfico" on Semana Santa (available in Spanish only). It has lots of links to websites and resources about Semana Santa in Spain and in some other locations.

#52146 - 04/11/02 06:28 PM Re: Semana Santa
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
No offense taken... smile

Also glad to see another Californiano on the board, too... Hopefully you've been able to look around the board and see some of the information already here for you.

#52147 - 04/11/02 06:44 PM Re: Semana Santa
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
La Pasion Digital @ http://www.lapasion.org (Sevilla/Andalucía) is THE site in Spanish for Semana Santa information. I've been viewing their website for years. Lots of information and photos for you.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52148 - 04/12/02 12:10 AM Re: Semana Santa
chibispacekase Offline

WOW thank you all so much for your help. It really means a lot to me! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments