MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52101 - 03/08/02 12:13 PM The Euro?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
First of all, I HATE looking at the country currency section of the Sunday newspaper and seeing almost everything in Euros. It just doesn't seem right. That said, please tell me how it relates to our (U.S.) currency? Presently I look at it and it has no meaning to me.

#52102 - 03/08/02 04:22 PM Re: The Euro?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I miss all the different currencies too. However, it probably will be easier using euro's.

Currently the euro equal $ 1.14. In other words, it costs us about .87 to buy 1 euro. The way I view it is after tax/tips/ATM/conversion fees it may be they are close to a 1:1 ratio. That's a little conservative but I'd rather think the cost is a little bit more than less.

#52103 - 03/08/02 05:39 PM Re: The Euro?
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I can tell you from experience living here that the Euro is much nicer than the Peseta when trying to compare with dollars. It's definitely about a 1:1 ratio. And even if it isn't exact, at least it's cheaper so it's more of a pleasant surprise than a shock later.

But as for hating not having the different currencies, I think it's important to remember that Europe is not a museum. Things change. Having the Euro means seamless integration of economies and less graft and is better for both Europeans and travellers like. Ever been charged $100 for a $10 taxi fare in Athens because you just arrived and aren't exactly sure of the currency yet? I have. Ever have a pocketfull of change that becomes scrap metal when you cross a border because exchange places don't take coins? That too. Ever been stuck and had to change money at a hotel in the middle of nowhere with obscene rates? Yep. All these things disapear with the Euro and thank goodness.

As for the locals, most people I know here aren't too upset about the change to Euros. Change is change and some people can't adapt... but it seems like in the last week or so that I've been in the stores, there's a lot less complaining by the older folk at the register who can't get used to the new system. And my wife still needs big numbers changed into pesetas before it sinks in, but the smaller numbers are starting to make sense now without translation. From what I've seen on television, a good number of Germans really miss their Marks, but the Italians, for instance, have been more than happy to change the Lira in after decades of insane inflation. Prices and salaries are now comparable across all of Europe (which is prompting cries to do something about Spanish salaries). So, it may not be as romantic as Francs and Drachmas, but the Euro is better for Europe and Europeans as a whole, so I wouldn't pine too much for the past.

As for the money itself, I think the bills are quite fine. Well done. But the coins are a pain in the butt! They all looked fine on the pre-launch posters, but they're not done well at all. Seriously - there are 8 coins and they are too similar to tell apart! They come in 3 sets: the 1, 2, and 5 euro cent coints are bronze, the 10, 20, and 50 euro cent coins are brass and the €1 and €2 euro coins are multi colored. The first 3 coins are impossible to tell apart because they are essentially the same size (and WHY on earth anyone needs a 2 cent coin is beyond me). The 50 cent and €1 Euro coins are the same size which is another pain. And finally the €1 and €2 Euro coins are the same color, except in reverse. Maybe people are a lot more faster to adapt than me, but I ALWAYS have to flip the coins over to figure out what I have in my hand. And in the dark in the back of a cab, for example, it's a nightmare!

But hey, I'll get used to it like 300 million other Europeans...

-Russ

P.S. This might be a bit over the top to say, but the one country that really doesn't like the Euro are the Swedes who don't even use it... Their country looks A LOT like limp male genetalia on the coins. I swear, I'm not making this up.

#52104 - 03/08/02 06:45 PM Re: The Euro?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
L-I-M,

You brought up some interesting points. Apparently in the design of the Euro, nobody thought about the visually impaired. It's a problem almost every where, including the States, since we still haven't realized that legally blind people still buy things at stores, and do it on their own.

When coins look too much alike, are the same size, and the paper money doesn't offer differentiation, it just isolates people more. It's sad that happens, but it does, all the time.

I'm not certain about your description of the Swedish coins, but I would imagine you're referring to the fact it shows the country itself on coins. I won't comment on that.

I agree with your statement about it being easier for visitors when there's only one type of currency available. It will help everyone who is currency challenged. It certainly should reduce the problems related to rip-offs, and since it is so close to a 1:1 ratio with the dollar, it certainly makes it less difficult for Americans that travel.

I too like the paper money. They are a work of art. Very nice.

Wolf

#52105 - 03/09/02 06:49 PM Re: The Euro?
LostInMadrid Offline

Ahh... here's an article about Sweden on the Euro coin (with photo). Not that the Sun is a particularly reputable newspaper, but I can tell you the photo hasn't been messed with. Here\'s the official Euro coin site too... so you can compare. ;-)

-Russ

#52106 - 03/09/02 07:47 PM Re: The Euro?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
LostinMadrid, checked your link... hmm. not quite Freud's idea of a phallic image (sleeping pose/vs "alert). funnny

#52107 - 03/09/02 09:55 PM Re: The Euro?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
L-I-M,

I stand corrected. The Euro has been designed for the sight impaired. According to the link you gave us, they actually worked with the sight impaired on the design.

I also see your point on Sweden. Gawd! They must be really mad at the Norwegians for not joining the Union - rolleyes That would have given the Union and them a lot more support - laugh

Wolf (Who has nothing more to say on this subject, even though I reserve the right to think about all the one-liners that would be aprepo - eek )

#52108 - 03/11/02 11:15 PM Re: The Euro?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
hi wolf and everyone else. i have disappeared again, but my fond memories of you guys always brings me back. oh an my thoughts on the euro, well... i think that it's sad that each country has lost something that was very cultural. I loved going to Italy and having Lira, I loved going to Spain and having pesetas... I understand that it helps the EU, but, if it ain't broke, why fix it. the only thing guaranteed in life is change... can't wait till the pound transfers over! hey, did madridman finally move to spain. i noticed that he is still there!

roses.

#52109 - 03/12/02 01:36 PM Re: The Euro?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Pesos in Spain? eek I think there has been two centuries since we last had pesos as our currency in Spain... what we had was pesetas rolleyes

The pros of having the euro as our currency are varied, as well as the cons. But I really don't mind to loose the peseta. I don't see it as a cultural active but more as a vehicle and instrument of the economy.

When I was in the USA I was surprised on how little functional de dollar is. The coke machines, for example, have to accept bills of one dollar. The coin with the largest value we had with the peseta was 500 pesetas (2,7 dollars), and now 2 euros (1,8 dollars). I think the reason is that the americans apreciate the currency system as something that must not be changed.

One of the things I hate of the euro is that some american products are prohibitive frown I have stop to buy certain things I like very much because of the insane parity.

On the other side, european items do not fluctuate in cost, and traveling to other european countries is easier.

Fernando

#52110 - 03/15/02 11:04 PM Re: The Euro?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
eek how could i say that? i've been in buenos aires too much... forgive me. Pesetas, pesetas, pesetas! okay, i won't ever make that mistake again.

fernando, you make some good points. there are definitely pros and cons, but in the end... change is what happens in life... years from now, people will say pesetas... we haven't had pesetas in spain for centuries! wink

roses

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments