Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52081 - 02/27/02 05:05 PM Re: How are the roads in Spain compared to the United States
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hey Zzeus11...how'd you get my real name? :p

I'll add my vote of approval to what's been said. One more thing, though, after traveling on plenty of "backroads" in Spain: Note that trucks will assist you in passing, as they will turn on their left blinker when it's "okay" to pass and their right blinker when it's "not okay" to pass. This helps when you're driving in one of those "cars too small to go that fast" that jllawson speaks of, as they're also "too small to see around a truck".

After driving on the two-way traffic west-east Asturias Nacional, I needed help passing...which many cars, including myself, did on the mountain switchbacks. I think my passengers wet themselves on multiple occasions...

And Fernando, we have four lanes on the city streets in my hometown...and I don't like it! mad (I hate feeling like I'm on the M-30 when I'm driving to get some milk at the local "Hiper".)

#52082 - 02/27/02 05:34 PM Re: How are the roads in Spain compared to the United States
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

My wife has found a great place to sit, when I drive through mountains. She tucks herself neatly up under the dash board, and closes her eyes. I guess you might get the impression it scares the bejeezers out of her - eek

Of course she's always yelling things like, "You're driving too fast!," and "When we get out of here, I'm going to saw your legs off at the knees!" An idle threat (so far.). Especially since I've slowed down by that point to a speed that semi trucks pass me on the upgrade - rolleyes

Every time we take the bus from Madrid to Bilbao, and return, she spends her time telling me, in a low voice, how she's so damned mad at the driver that when we hit the mid point and stop, she's going to make sure that guy will never be able to have kids - mad I just try to calm her down, and tell her we're going to be fine, and she ain't buying a word of it.

By the time we hit the stop, I'm ready for a triple-triple anything, just to get what's left of my jangled nerves settled down enough that I can make the rest of the trip.

Anyway, from what I've seen, Spain's highways aren't quite up to the caliber of Minnesota and Wisconsin, except they have about 15 million less pot-holes per mile than our two fair states have.

Wolf (Whose wife hasn't done anything bad to a bus driver. Not yet anyway! - laugh )

#52083 - 02/28/02 09:57 AM Re: How are the roads in Spain compared to the United States
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi all!

I've read your posts and now I'm going to give you my point of view. I'm from the north of Spain and now that I'm in Madrid I think that driving in this city is not very difficult. It's true that you cannot drive utterly asleep and you must drive with your eyes wide open, but you should do it always, in every village / town / road because you are sitting on a weapon that kill.

In Madrid (the city), drivers cross their cars before you, change from a lane to other fast but for me this is more an advantage than a problem because if you try to do the same they'll let you do it! laugh

In all the other cities where I've driven, as nobody drives wrong, when you need to do a odd manoeuvring with your car they won't let you and they'll become angry mad but here, in Madrid, as everybody needs to do one or two odd manoeuvring every day, if you do it they let you without becoming angry. laugh

That is what I've noticed since I've come to Madrid. The only think that I hate are the traffic jams but the guilty of traffic jams are not the drivers but our Mayor Álvarez del Manzano. mad mad

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments