Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52059 - 02/22/02 01:24 AM Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
cantamal Offline

Hi all,

Just got back from another two weeks in Spain. I've been going for visits about every five years and like Madrid, but am starting to get past the party stage of my life.

What I would really like to do next time is head off to do some fly-fishing outside madrid. Can anyone recommend a spot?

Any stories would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cantamal

#52060 - 02/22/02 09:19 PM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Cantamal! Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip throughout Spain in the other forums.

It's my impression that Spain isn't really "into" fishing of any kind other than the commercial kind of course. For pleasure, I've never met or heard of anyone doing this. Not sure about the laws/licenses (if any) about fishing in Spain in freshwater bodies either. But this is a good topic to bring up.

Does ANYONE go fishing for pleasure in Spain?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52061 - 02/23/02 11:40 AM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I can't seem to find my notes, but last year when I was planning my trip to Spain, I found several sites that had fishing opportunities. Clubs, commercial sites, etc. Unfortuantely, all were in Spanish. I was looking for a casual place to take my grandaughters fishing and didn't find that. (Just as well, we were too busy in the three weeks that we were there anyway.) With all the streams, rivers and lakes in the Guadarrama Mtns, I have to believe there is a lot of sport fishing going on.

ernie

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: ebetancourt ]

#52062 - 02/23/02 02:58 PM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
From what I've read the best fishing is in Asturias and Galacia.The season starts in March though June is the best time and the Narcea was mentioned as especially good for fly fishing for salmon and trout.There's evidently a lottery on some rivers for the best spots, though some are also reserved for tourists. The lakes of the upper Pyrenees are also good though often not easily accessible (sounds wonderful!)

#52063 - 02/24/02 04:29 AM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

youre right karenwishhart the best fishing area is galicia and asturias. ive fished in my fathers hometown ortigueira on my last visit there 2 years ago. it was i he summer.the fishes were delicious and it was fun.too bad alcala de henares were i also have family connection is too too far from the sea.another great fishing for pleasure spot is euskadi.just rumors never been there though. wink

#52064 - 02/24/02 07:58 AM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I also found a list of fishing sites w/phone # for Spanish Fishing Fed.

web page

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#52065 - 02/24/02 10:24 PM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
This site has information about fresh and saltwater fishing, locations, species availble, etc.
http://www.granpesca.com/

ernie

#52066 - 02/25/02 12:52 PM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
hola cantamal pescaor,

I think I recall a similar post not too long ago about fly fishing???

Ditto on Asturias and Galicia. I fished for sea bass in Galicia there last Sept. I know that my fisherman friend has fished in freshwater, but I'm not sure where and if it was on fly.

You might look into some outdoor travel outfitter who could orient you on fishing in Spain. If you do find anything, please let us know!

I have a chapter on fishing in Galicia on my website (see signature below) with some photos. I saw many local folk fishing just about anywhere there was water in Asturias and Galicia, but none of it was on fly. I visited a gorgeous park in Bergantinos with beautiful streams (it used to be an old mill), which my fisherman friend said had trout further upstream. (That's not on the site though.)

Churrito

sidenote: Hemingway has a chapter on fishing for trout in The Sun Also Rises -- not sure what area that was in -- near Pamplona?

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#52067 - 02/26/02 11:46 AM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
Cantamar: I would like for you to share with me any good flyfishing info you get(email jllawson1@msn.com). I spend most of my time in Andalucia and have yet to find other than warm water fishing. The guide books all mention Rio Frio; having been there I can tell you that I don't care to fish in cement trout ponds and what river(?) have you ever fished that you could step across every 25 feet(this is NOT FLYFISHING).. next trip I'm off to the mountains above Granada and am told there is some real trout fishing...

#52068 - 03/03/04 05:54 PM Re: Anybody like to fly- fish out there?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Just wanted to add an additional question to this thread:

I have a student who will be traveling with our group in two weeks who loves to fly fish. He wants to know if there are a) any one-week fishing licenses [like in California] and b) any fly fishing areas around Madrid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

CaliBasco
Not CaliBASSco wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments