Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52050 - 02/19/02 11:09 PM regional linguistic differences & characteristics
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hello everybody
i knowthis topic is new on this thread.but i am interested on this topic.
i would like to know the different character traits of spaniards of different regions.in particular i would about the main cultural rgions of castilla,euskadi,galicia,and catalunya.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#52051 - 02/20/02 06:22 AM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
fmiketheman writes:
Quote:
i would like to know the different character traits of spaniards of different regions.in particular i would about the main cultural rgions of castilla,euskadi,galicia,and catalunya.
IMHO you are ignoring several of Spain's 'cultural regions.' A more global approach might be to list Spain's Autonomous Communities and attempt to compare/contrast the 'character traits' of people in each of the Autonomous Communities of Spain as they relate to others: their major industry and how that contributes. For example: Dairy farmers of Cantabria, Vintners of la Rioja, Fishermen of Galizia & Sheep Herders of the Basque Provinces. Character traits may be strongly based on where one lives and what one does for a living. rolleyes

#52052 - 02/20/02 06:30 AM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Do you want the politically correct version or not? laugh

#52053 - 02/20/02 02:14 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
fmiketheman Offline

sorry about my big error in doing this thread frown what i meant is not that some regions of spain are more "main cultural region".i meant just to say certain culturl regions going by linguisti dialects.
eddie dont get me wrong but i happen to lie every region of spain. especially galicia. which is my origin on my fathers side.i am cuban. oh andte regions i wanted to know about are castilla euskadi,galicia,and catalunya.they each spaea a different language from the other.and about the poltical correctness i would like political correct one.

#52054 - 02/20/02 02:47 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's okay, fmiketheman. I am going to re-word your subject line....

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52055 - 02/20/02 03:15 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Here we go,remembering past forum adventures this topic is skating ice...at least. I would just say that in my opinion Spain is a multicultural nation, I do think it can be a controversial issue specially these days, so I suggest to handle the subject with outmost respect and common sense.

#52056 - 02/20/02 05:57 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
fmiketheman Offline

what i meant was regional stereotypes.name me some rgional stereotypes.like fo example whats the character of the castilias,navarros,galegos,andaluz,etc.in particular the regions ive meantioned at the begining of the thread. :o cool

#52057 - 02/20/02 05:59 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi!

First of all there is something that has caught my attention: "castilla, euskadi, galicia, and catalunya", why? Because you have mixed the names of this four regions in 3 different languages wink

The names in spanish (castilian) are: Castilla, País Vasco, Galicia and Cataluña.

In their respective languages: Castilla, Euskadi (or Euzkadi), Galicia and Catalunya.

The names in english: Castilia, Basque Country, Galicia and Catalonia.

Said this, I consider my country one of the richest ones in culture differences. Maybe I'm not the best person to talk about how different a catalonian is from a basque, but I may comment it from my point of view.

If you wanted to summon the main cultures of Spain I would say that you have just numbered some of them, perhaps the most known abroad. Almost every province (and there are 56 provinces) have a distinct way of being, customs, typical recipes and so on.

Moreover, inside each provinces the people are different (this is mainly because we are a very mountaineous country). From one valley to another, from one island to other, we are almost as different as a hawaian from a floridan. There are a handful of languages and dozens of dialects, accents and arcanisms.

In gastronomy, the south has it's own dishes, very different from ones of the north. Even in Andalusia it is different what they eat in Huelva, Cádiz and Málaga (and these three provinces are rather near).

It is unfair to generalise, but I may take some stereotypes to define the 4 regions:
Castilians are spartan people, galicians are rural, yet very friendly, basques are somewhat "obstinated", brute, they are delighted by a good meal, and they normally welcome everybody (in small villages they are very very friendly), and catalonians are hard-workers, yet somewhat "egoist" in monetarian issues.

Take in mind that cities are far from these stereotypes. People from Madrid are not really typical castilians, nor people from Barcelona are typical catalonians.

Best regards.

Fernando

#52058 - 02/20/02 06:49 PM Re: regional linguistic differences & characteristics
fmiketheman Offline

thanks alot fernando.my question is finally satisfied after all the misunderstanding of my topic.thank you all in general. smile laugh cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments