Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51905 - 12/19/01 10:34 PM VIPS - Pros and Cons... a tertulia
Hoyo de Manzanares Offline

Loc: Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
While reading MM98's posting, I couldn't help but note some interesting comments on the chain of stores called "VIPS." They are, as someone stated, strange. Part 7-11, part Friendly's. They are american in some respects, but only in Spain can you get "arroz cubano" in the same store where you can buy cola cao and hello kitty stuff.

For those of you who feel strongly about Spain's identity eroding, what do you think about VIPS?

VIPS - Pro or Con?

#51906 - 12/20/01 07:08 AM Re: VIPS - Pros and Cons... a tertulia
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Definitely pro!

VIPS is a spanish brand part of a spanish company owned by a spanish businessman.

I have one near home. I like it because: It is opened from early in the morning to very late at night (1 o'clock in the morning). I like it because whenever I want to buy press they have it. I like it because if you need a present or something to eat very urgently you can go there and you will find something for sure.

As a restaurant I like it for its breakfasts (for example the andaluz, with two toasts with tomato and olive oil) and for its varied kinds of food. They have american dishes, cuban, mexican, chinese,...and of course spanish (croquetas for example).

To have and know other cultures is not to erode ourself wink We have plenty of other spanish restaurants, including fast food as Pan's & Company (bocadillos) and Caņas y tapas (all kind of spanish tapas).

Hell, when I go outside to eat in a restaurant I normally go to eat something different, for example american food at Foster's Hollywood (those burgers rock!).

Fernando

#51907 - 12/21/01 06:49 AM Re: VIPS - Pros and Cons... a tertulia
Miguelito Offline

AS a shop to buy a present or something quickly, although it's more expensive I find it useful sometimes, but as a restaurant I hate it, in fact I hate any chain of restaurant, they are expensive for what they give and quality isn't good enough, I can find better food and cheaper in other bars or restaurants, and I prefer places with a personal touch.
I also hate blockbuster (a video library, I think it's an american chain). It's have been a great competence for familiar video-clubs, and the service was worst for my point of view.

#51908 - 01/04/02 09:06 PM Re: VIPS - Pros and Cons... a tertulia
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
VIPs....VIPs always brings back fond memories for me of my very first love affair with Spain during a trip here with my high school Spanish class 17 some odd years ago. I still (somewhere in my parentsī attic in the USA) have a menu and other VIPs memorabilia. Please note, however, that the love affair was with Spain not VIPs.

I agree with Fernando. I like the Andaluz breakfast...but am not impressed with anything "American" there. I was disappointed to learn that the owner of VIPs also successfuly acquired the only TGIF (Thank God Itīs Friday) franchise in Spain... an American chain restaurant.

With regards to exposure to other cultures, I think Spaniards can do way better by going to those ethnic restuarants rather than dining in VIPs for a "taste of Mexican, Italian or Oriental". By the way, what is Oriental food anyway? Is it similar to what European food is? I had to throw that in being part Filipino and hate being identified as Oriental. wink

VIPs, like any other chain/franchise restaurant (be it Spanish, American, English etc), I could take it or leave it. I prefer the authentic food in homestyle restaurants. My husband, on the other hand (a real madrileņo), really really likes VIPs, McDonalds and Fosters of Hollywood (which by the way is not an American chain).

In the US I am a HUGE fan of Blockbuster, particularly due to its large selection of foreign films, but find my time better spent here exploring Spain (or the Madridman Message Board wink )

Oh, Fernando, by the way, the next time you are in Fosters, please donīt order the Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Itīs terrible! The next time you are in Philadelphia, I will make sure that my family takes you to have an authentic one, as well as a real backyard barbecue where you can enjoy a REAL American hamburger!! smile

#51909 - 01/04/02 09:19 PM Re: VIPS - Pros and Cons... a tertulia
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I fully agree with you Chica smile

Look, being an spaniard, I can have spanish typical food in my own house. That is the reason when I go out to eat I try different things. VIPS have some good things (my preferred ones being Louisiana's Salad and Quesadillas) even if they are not truly typical of their countries of origin.

Foster's Hollywood is great for me. Much better than McDonald's or Burger King and still reasonable cheap. Of one thing I'm sure: If I were a forgeiner I would better try spanish homestyle restaurants than these chains. Here in any american restaurant you may find the same as in the USA, but more expensive and not as well made (doy you know that we even have one Big Boy in Madrid?).

Thanks for the invitation wink I'm sure someday I will return back to the USA. Then it will be me who would ask the people here about the trip smile

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1745 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments