Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51840 - 12/14/01 08:03 PM Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Starting today December 15th, banks in Spain have started to sell small Euro coins packages so that people can get familiar with them. These "packages" consist of a 43 coins summing 2000 pesetas (12.02 euros).

Note that although saving's banks are closed on Saturdays, banks are opened during the morning.

For those of you interested in what are they look like, have a look at the official site . There you'll see the design of the Euro banknotes and the Euro coins .

There is something maybe you don't know about the Euro coins.

Quote:
The front of each coin has a common design for the 12 countries in the euro area. The reverse side displays different designs for each country, created
by their own national artists. All coins can be used anywhere in the euro area

By the way, although today is not the official start of the Euro, I'll remember it anyway because it's also my birthday rolleyes smile

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#51841 - 12/14/01 10:06 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Happy Birthday, Antonio! May your wishes come true.

Wolf

#51842 - 12/15/01 08:00 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
A historic moment - moving towards one economic system.

My roommate who is from Madrid (via Asturias) said she's heard reports of stores taking advantage of the "change-over." Nothing criminal or too devious, but "padding" (slightly increasing) the new converted amounts on some goods.

Is this true, or widespread?

I'm also interested in the culture aspects. Spain has such a strong national identity - is there any regret on loosing the Peseta?

#51843 - 12/15/01 09:12 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
All commerces are doing it in fact :-(

Example if something would cost 5,43 € they don't hesitate to round it to 5,5€ or more. Thus, there are small things which are going to rise their prices up to 60% (think of something that costs 5 ptas, they will charge you 5 euro cents). This is going to be very bad to the inflaction (is that the word?).

I think that noone regrets loosing the peseta. Yes, it is a pitty since it has been our beloved peseta for centuries, but what the hell, the euro have some great advantages. Today I tried to get some euros, but the bank clerk didn't want to give them yet mad Of course I have complaint to him for it. Maybe on monday...

Fernando

#51844 - 12/15/01 09:21 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

That's true. Although the government is saying all the time the Euro will only mean a currency change but nothing else, it's true that some people are taking advantage of it to round their prices.

You can see how politicians lie when they ask people not to rise their prices and they decide to increase the Metrobús (ten trips ticket for subway and buses) by more than 9% mad so that the new price is 5 euros.

As for the national identity, patriotism is not as strong as in the USA but there are people who regret it and others - like me - who thinks it's going to be a great thing for the European economy.

Just think how much money European companies are loosing just due to the commission they pay when exchanging money among the different currencies. And the money European tourists will save (they don't have to exchange money) or even non-European tourists who will be able to exchange their money once and travel all around the 12 countries who have joined the Euro.

#51845 - 12/15/01 09:52 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
Antonio, muchas felicidades.

I do agree with Antonio and Fernando. I don’t think spain has such a strong national identity and most of the people don’t regret on loosing the Peseta if this is on behalf of our economy system and I think that having the euro will gave us more economy estability and other benefits.

The worse of all will be the first few months in which we will have to live with two different currencies in our pockets and we will have to use the calculator a lot. Also it won’t be easy to deal with cents, as we are not used to them. In any case, I hope we will forgot all this in a short time period.

#51846 - 12/15/01 11:52 PM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

You didn't manage to get Euros today?. Uhm... I guess you were not perseverant enough. I went this morning to the nearest bank BBVA but they told me they will start on Monday. Then, I went to a Santander Central Hispano branch and I did get my Euros!!!. smile

#51847 - 12/16/01 12:44 AM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Yes I was perseverant!

These are the banks in which I searched:
-Caixa Galicia: closed
-Barclays Bank: closed
-Ibercaja: closed
-Banco Atlántico: closed
-BBVA: closed
-Bankinter: closed
-BSCH: at leat one opened! I get in: "sorry, we don't have euros yet, we just received 7 bags" (that is false, they have to have by law at least one for each customer).
-Another BBVA: opened! 20 minutes in a row and then they tell me that they only give euros to their customers! bastards! :P what if I don't have an account in any bank? I can't have the national currency?

Grrrr, this bank staff are sooooooo stupid... (I told them that I could just open an account, take my euros and then close the account, and all would be acording their rules).

Fernando

#51848 - 12/16/01 02:48 AM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Spaniards,

If I bring Euro denominated travler's cheques at the end of December into Spain, will merchants except them before January 1. I am sure this has already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find the previous query.

Mil Gracias,
Shawn

P.S. Happy Birthday Pim! Your additions to the board have been tremendous. I hope your party was fantastic.

P.S. Nicole did you just celebrate a B-day as well? May your year be full of "champagne wishes and caviar dreams"

#51849 - 12/16/01 03:03 AM Re: Here it comes.... the Euro!!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Shawn, I can't think of any reason for not accepting them. We already have bills in euros for example.

It's my opinion...

Fernando

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2633 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments