Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51824 - 12/13/01 08:20 PM Sister Cities
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
While living in Spain some time ago, I spent about 4½ months in Avilés, located in Asturias. In the ayuntamiento (city hall) there is information and an exhibit that explains how Avilés and St. Augustine, FL (oldest continually inhabited city in the U.S., founded 1519) are sister cities. If I remember correctly (it's been 12 years), the mariner who landed/founded/settled St. Augustine was asturiano, and more specifically, from Avilés. When I was there in '89, they were celebrating the 470th anniversary of the founding of St. Augustine. (Kind of funny when by comparison St. Augustine is 'only' 470 yrs. old...)

My question is, for those here who may have some time to kill before our next trip to Spain, do you know of any other similar sister-city arrangements in other parts of the country? It might be nice to go a little more locally to soak up some hispano-american history?

The search is on!!! Post now!!!

#51825 - 12/13/01 10:54 PM Re: Sister Cities
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm not exactly sure they're sister cities, but Toledo, Spain and Toledo, Ohio, USA have some kind of "agreement" it seems. They have a street in Toledo, Spain called "Calle de Toledo de Ohio". I have a photo of it!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51826 - 12/13/01 11:20 PM Re: Sister Cities
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Great idea Calibasco!

I did a quick google search and found http://www.sister-cities.org . It is true that Toledo, Ohio is Toledo, Castilla La Mancha's sibling. It is also interesting that Columbus, Ohio is Sevilla's sister. Perhaps, MadridMan should show his municipal pride by changing to SevillaMan? Sadly, Los Angeles has no Spanish siter-city frown , the city has many sister-cities, including the ever popular- Tehran, Iran. I am curious what benefits this offers each city, more research is in store.

Lacking a Spanish sibling in LA,
Shawn mad

#51827 - 12/13/01 11:41 PM Re: Sister Cities
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WHAT??!! Sevilla and Columbus, Ohio are sister cities??!! How come NO ONE knows that here?? I suppose they just don't care. Hmph! rolleyes Thanks for the web link, Shawn!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51828 - 12/14/01 04:34 PM Re: Sister Cities
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My hometown of Albuquerque has many sister cities, one of which is Gijon, Espana!
That's all I know on the subject. smile

#51829 - 12/14/01 11:43 PM Re: Sister Cities
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
MadridMan: I've got a similar photo...of the tiles showing Toledo de Ohio in Toledo, Spain. As a former Ohio resident, I found it interesting.

#51830 - 12/25/01 10:12 AM Re: Sister Cities
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I read a sign at the beach yesterday that says Miami's sister city is Tenerife. smile

#51831 - 12/25/01 12:13 PM Re: Sister Cities
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Woo hoo! Baltimore, Maryland's sister city is Cadiz. I would never have guessed that. I'm going to have to look and see if there is a plaque or something to commemorate this downtown. And maybe I'll make it to Cadiz in February to do the same in Espana

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments