Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51753 - 12/05/01 10:28 PM Spain-how often to visit?
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
hello everyone,

happy holidays and all that other stuff and happy birthday to Madridman.

I miss Spain a lot, especially now that I haven't been there since august 2000. Could it really be that long ago? Yikes! Anyhow, I am not paying back college loans, doing that "job" thing (lame), and thinking about how to get back to Spain (not thinking that I ever want a career). Anyhow, this is my question, I would love to plan a Spring Trip to Spain for like 2 weeks. However, I am a little hesitant because part of my reason for saving is because i would like to end up living in Spain for like a year...so what to do.....is that the impossible dream? Should I just plan on going for the two weeks and returning to my office or keep the money going into the bank. I would love to hear all sides of this story...good, bad, and indifferent.

Thanks!

Brien

#51754 - 12/06/01 05:57 AM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Brien wrote:
<< I am ... doing that "job" thing (lame), and thinking about how to get back to Spain ... Anyhow, this is my question, I would love to plan a Spring Trip to Spain for like 2 weeks. However, I ... would like to end up living in Spain for like a year...so what to do.....is that the impossible dream? >>

The 'job thing' probably won't allow you to visit Spain for more than 2 or 3-weeks at a time; so I would have to say: work with what you've got. Try to optimize your Spain time by going in late Winter or Spring when air fares are more reasonable. Spain is nicest in Spring (March thru early June). cool

As for your dreams of spending a year there: Play the 'PowerBall' lottery. When you're in Spain, buy a Christmas lottery (el Gordo). rolleyes
¡Suerte!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#51755 - 12/06/01 02:33 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Brien,

You can optimize your time like was mentioned above by going in the off season, or if you really want to stay there for a year, just put in your time in the trenches in the U.S. at "that job thing", save some cash and go! It really isn't that unobtainable of a dream, i managed to live there for a year on only around $8000 US, and I think i lived fairly well, granted I was in Granada and that is about as cheap as it gets for Spain. Depending on your lifestyle here in the U.S., it shouldn't be too dificult to save up that much cash and go. You might have to make some sacrafices once you are there, but hey - when it comes down to it, you'll be in Spain - and who could complain about that!

LCQ

#51756 - 12/06/01 09:11 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
Brien Offline

thanks eddie and loma con queso...good advice for me...so far i have about 4000 in the bank. I love Spain and I love Spanish. I have studied Spanish nearly 10 years and speak it very well! Not to be egotistical. I love Spain and the people and everything.

do you guys ever feel like you don't "connect" with people here? I do all the time. In fact, when I was in Spain, Americans were way cooler....because they loved Spain too.

At least you guys now live in Gateway cities to Madrid....very cool!

#51757 - 12/06/01 11:41 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Brien, I'm with you! I love Spain and feel like I 'connect' better there, I guess one way to look at it is SPAIN is our hobby/obsession and people here just don't get how great it is there!

I say save up as much as you can, but it doesn't hurt to take a little out in the mean time & use it on one of those super-cheap fares to get there to visit in the mean time!! Set a goal and go for it! (I wish I did that earlier, it only gets harder the longer you're out of college...)

-GG

#51758 - 12/06/01 11:49 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Brien, I feel for you as I have been on both sides of the situation. I dropped out of college in my junior year as I knew I was heading for a career that I was not truly in love with and took off w/a $1000 (this was quite a few years ago) and a rt ticket good for a year (which turned out to be extendable). I had no language skills and lived in hostals and cheap college dorms in summer,took a job as a chambermaid where I got food and lodging etc etc etc and ended up gone for almost five years and had found my way into the fashion business which has ended up my career today. Everyone loves to say "oh but it's different now". I know it's more expensive and you don't want to be a bumb (i never begged borrowed or, God-forbid,stole) but I believe if you are frugle and enterprising and you do have language skills you can do it and you'll never regret it.You have your formal education and so now's the time to take off and just get some irreplaceable lessons and experiences in life.Live your dream.Believe me,I've worked for many years and have only just gotten to take my first 2 week vacation!!

#51759 - 12/07/01 10:05 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
However much time you may manage to spend in Spain, I strongly suggest you take some language classes while you're there if you haven't thought about this already. I did so for three weeks in Madrid during October and feel it really enriched my experience while hopefully also improving my Spanish-language speaking skills. I stayed in the apartment of a Spanish lady who doesn't speak a word of English which was another great experience. Like you, I can't wait to go back.

#51760 - 12/20/01 06:05 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
Brien Offline

arthur,

thanks for the advice...and thanks everyone else for the advice as well. My Spanish is great...I have studied it for over 10 years....i am thinking about getting my TEFL Certificate and eventually doing some teaching in Spain. I have thought about just packing it up and moving there and posting signs for English Lessons but I am not sure how many clients I would get. A girl I knew did that for a year and supported herself. Then again, she is of Latin American descent and is very good looking as well. Anyhow, just going off on a tangent.

Anyway, better get my ass in gear because they say the longer you get away from college, the harder it is to move on and move away!

Anyone want to go with me?

Brien

#51761 - 12/21/01 05:00 AM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
nevado Offline

If your goal is to teach English then I would just go ahead and move there. It's much harder if you have the fantasy of getting other professional jobs. English teaching is everywhere and there is never a shortage of jobs. If you have thousands of dollars saved you could live there several months without even working (unless you are a big spender). If I were you, I'd save as much as I could until late August/early September, sell as much of your stuff as you can and take the plunge. Most hiring is done around that time but you'll be in fierce competition for an apartment (along with all of the students returning to Madrid). During the summer months it's not that easy getting jobs and most of them go to those who've been there a while.
Private classes really start kicking in around late September early October. Get yourself settled with a phone number either from your apartment of cell phone and get your ads out there. Also, it's cheaper to take your TEFL course there so you could do that while your settling down and getting private clients.

#51762 - 01/05/02 02:59 PM Re: Spain-how often to visit?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hey Brien --

I agree with Nevado...the likelihood of you finding a professional job here is slim without the right "enchufe" or being part of the Opus Dei.

I quit my professional job and moved here (for different reason...I married a Spaniard). As well connected as I am in the US (international connections), and even with enchufes here in Spain, it has been a long road to haul to obtain a "professional" job here. I have settled in and am teaching English, and in fact, like the much more laid back and stress free lifestyle than was my harried professional life in Philadelphia.

Wasn´t it Don Quijote who dreamed the impossible dream? If your dream is being here in Spain, then just go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! If anything, it will certainly be a life enriching experience!!

Good luck!
Rebecca

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Chica ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments