MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#51738 - 12/03/01 06:43 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
pim,

Thanks for all your information and culture on Spanish Christmas. I'll be in Madrid from December 20th to the 28th for my friends' wedding. So excited. We'll be staying near the Prado and wondering what two out-of-towners could do on Christmas Day. If you can, in your next post please include ideas for non-family oriented plans. I've been told by some that Madrid stays close to the family (mostly in the home) on Christmas Day. Do you have any suggestions on what to do this day. Beyond Plaza Mayor, any neighborhoods have outdoor Christmas traditions??? Thanks!

Jason

#51739 - 12/03/01 09:15 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow! Thank-you for the great and detailed responses! It's funny how my parents brought some traditions from Spain, and then altered them a little because of all the time they've been in Canada. And I almost forgot how the whole "red underwear" tradition started amongst my friends! wink
Thanks again, and if anyone has more traditions based on the different regions of Spain, please share! I asked my parents for any specific to Galicia, but it all seems to be the same as what was posted above.
And MadridMan, you are SO lucky to be spending the holidays in Spain.... someday I will as well... frown

#51740 - 12/04/01 08:02 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
Miguelito Offline

There is a typical cake for the Epifany. It's called Roscón de Reyes and it has a gift inside. The one who gets the gift has to pay the roscon the next year, obviously nobody will remember the next year who got the gift and there will be a funny argue about who has to pay it this year.

#51741 - 12/10/01 09:51 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
OK here's the final part of the series "Christmas in Spain".

I forgot to mention one of Madrid's own traditions; on December 31st there's the 'Maraton(=marathon) de San Silvestre', San Silvestre being that day's patron saint. It starts early in the morning and the participants run past many of Madrid's landmarks. How can they do this and still endure partying all night?, it's a mistery, but a long siesta might have something to do with it.... wink

Well, while all this "more grown-up activities" take place, the children are busy writing their letters to 'Los Reyes Magos'(Three Wise Men) which most actually send!
On the afternoon-evening of January 5th 'Los Reyes' arrive in every town, they show up at every parade in each major city, and so the look on the children's little faces is worth watching when they spot their favourite one, Melchor, Gaspar or Baltasar.
Then, for once, children do their best to behave themselves and go to bed early; but first they must make some preparations....They usually leave little treats for the three kings(milk, wine, cookies, turron, etc, it depends on what the parents feel like eating really!), and some food for their camels. When I was little we always left them birdseeds!, and were convinced that was proper food for them.
Anyway, the kids spend the night nervously thinking they can hear the visitors enter through the windows! And early in the morning they run to get their presents beside the X-mas tree or 'Belen'. It's a busy morning because then it's time to do a tour around their grandparents, aunts, uncles, & cousins' houses, to get whatever presents the kings have left for them there.
That day there's also a "festive" meal and everyone eats the typical 'Roscon de Reyes' for dessert which does have a little "surprise" hidden inside, in the whipped cream usually. Now, an average Roscon tends to be....average; but if you can find a good Roscon in some 'pasteleria' it is d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.
That night, some young people go out and party hard like it's a lesser New Year's Eve.
The 6th of January is another National Holiday, like December 25th and January 1st. The ones who decide to not go out that evening have their last chance at stuffing themselves with all the leftovers from three weeks of Roscon, cider, turkey, etc....before getting back to normal the next day!

Warning! This is not the right time to come here and expect to lose weight folks! Over the last four days, we've had the 'puente de la Constitucion'(long weekend), and in many families we've started with the turron, etc....and have ALREADY gained some weight, ha,ha!

And don't be surprised to hear many Spaniards stating that they dislike Las Navidades, this is because, it's a time for family fun more than anything else, and people that have lost some of their family members, miss them more than ever and feel sad. frown

I think this is about it! smile

JJP, sorry I don't have any ideas for you other than make sure you go see some of the nicest and more elaborate Belenes across town, maybe doing the little escapade to Segovia, do some cheering at the marathon, go shopping around calle Serrano, or the Callao area....

Sorry I don't know what you mean by 'proper'(about the Segovia trip), if you mean appropiate, it sure is, you just need a safe 'medio de transporte', because the road may have some icy patches. smile

paloma

#51742 - 12/11/01 08:06 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
Miguelito Offline

About San Silvestre Vallecana, it's only 10 kms (the first 7 kms going down) and it usually beguins at 18:00, it's very nice and funny to run it and not so tired, altough you don't have time to do a siesta before dinner. The street is crowded with people watching and clapping and you feel so good with all those people breathing you.
I strongly recomend it, just be careful with the cold after running.

#51743 - 12/11/01 08:42 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
pim Offline

Ooops!, I guess the fact that I've spent so few "December 31st.s" in Madrid shows....
I'm usually in Zaragoza(or London) that day, but it seems like this year I'll be around; don't have to work though!!! smile

pim

#51744 - 12/13/01 08:25 PM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
The fondest Christmas/New Year's memories I have from the two I've been privileged to pass in Spain are these:

5: Polvorones
4: Turrón smile
3: Petardos [readily available and much more fun than the lightweight US version known as "snaps"] laugh
2: Castaños cool
1: Las uvas [de Nochevieja]

#51745 - 12/19/01 10:26 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
pim Offline

I just remembered that a Dutch guy I used to date always told me that children in The Netherlands believe Santa Claus(San Nicolas) was Spanish and lived in Madrid!!!
Did you know that? I swear I've never run into him yet!(not the real one, anyway)

BTW, yesterday I went to the Plaza Mayor to check all the X-mas stands there. I confess I don't remember ever doing that as an adult, so last time I must have been four years old! I had a blast, specially because I was accompanied by my two-year-old half-British niece smile. We did run into Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, and Donald Duck, which I didn't find exactly traditional, but of course Chloe was delighted!!!

#51746 - 12/19/01 11:45 AM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Pim, some dutch friends have told me the same thing about San Nicolas' origins. I may be wrong but I think they celebrate it on December 5th.
Another dutch tradition (altough it has nothing to do with Christmas) is that when they want to scare their children, they say: Que viene el duque de Alba! which is their equivalent to our "Hombre del saco". Sorry I don't know the American equivalent.
It's funny, I was in the Plaza Mayor yesterday too!

#51747 - 01/06/02 03:53 PM Re: Christmas Traditions in Spain
pim Offline

Oooh! It's so sad. Today is the last day of 'Navidad' in Spain. This morning the 'Loteria del Niño' took place, and all the children found their presents left by 'Los Reyes Magos' during the night.
Has any of you been so naughty that he/she's gotten 'carbón dulce'(sweet coal)?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1791 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments