Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5168 - 02/02/03 08:33 PM Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
sonoma Offline

Loc: California
I hope someone might be able to help me with some advice on hotels in Madrid. I made a reservation at the Tryp Capitol, but I read a comment that said this hotel is very noisy. Is that true? Also, how close is the nearest parking to this hotel? I understand the hotel doesn't have its own parking, so you have to use the public parking lot. Does anyone know how much that might cost?

I am also considering trying to get a hotel using Priceline. Others have reported getting either the Hotel Suecia or the Holiday Inn Madrid when they used Priceline. Any comments
about either of these hotels? Does either one have parking available at the hotel? I read some complaints about the Suecia being somewhat worn out; is that true?

Thanks for any comments!

#5169 - 02/02/03 09:13 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello Sonoma,
I have stayed at the Suecia on December 2001,over a year ago, and I have posted several times about the Suecia. I recommended the use of Bancotel vouchers which are very reasonable, at the time I went it was under $45 dollars per night for the room, now I believe they are $50.00 each. As such when looking at the Suecia from this perspective, it was a great bargain. First, I did not deem it run down, I'm from Florida and can tell a run down property from one that has been refurbished as this one certainly has. On the other hand you will not find the ameneties of the Husa Princesa, either, but then you would have to pay 2 Bancotel vouchers or more for that privilege. Second,I found the Suecia's location to be convenient,within walking distance of all the monuments, and the area to be very safe.

It is comparable to most hotels in the $100 -$150/night here in the U.S. i.e. Clarion,doubletree, etc.

It has been around for quite some time, it is not a new property,but it has been nicely restored. I believe that Hemingway stayed there, or so they claim.

Hope this review helps you in making your decision.

#5170 - 02/03/03 08:42 AM Re: Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
GoMadrid Offline

For the best hotel rates in Madrid, go to www.hotelsspain.com. I have stayed in two hotels on or near the Gran Via. The Mayorazgo, which is acceptable, and the Emperador which is great. Both are quiet.

The idea about Banchotel coupons is a good one, because there are many excellent hotels that participate in that program. But it might be a little difficult to get them from the EEUU. If you have a credit card, www.hotelsspain.com can fix you up. You can even go visit them when you are in Madrid if you want. They are right behind the Hotel Emperador.

Good luck!

Lee

#5171 - 02/03/03 01:28 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
sonoma Offline

Thanks for your suggestions. I looked into the Bancotel vouchers, but they require a minimum purchase of 5 vouchers, and I only need to book one night's lodging. I have already made arrangements and paid for the rest of my stay in Spain separately, so I don't want to buy a bunch of vouchers that I won't be using.

I did check on www.hotelsspain.com, but their rates are much higher than what I'm looking for; my current reservation at the Tryp Capitol is at 57 EUR per night. I would be willing to pay up to maybe 85 EUR or so, but the lowest rate on hotelsspain was 115 EUR for the night when I will be in Madrid.

#5172 - 02/03/03 04:43 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
GoMadrid Offline

Sonoma:

I am sorry, but I completely tuned out to the parking part of your post.

I do know of a hotel that will be cheaper than the Tryp by a few Euros, and there is parking just down the street. It is also quiet.

It is the Hotel Mora on Paseo del Prado, not too far from the Atocha Railroad Station and El Brillante, one of MadridMan's party stops.

You can book directly with the hotel, and confirm about the parking, and rates for both. It is a little farther from Sol etc. But the Atocha Metro is right nearby.

Buena suerte

Lee

#5173 - 02/03/03 06:11 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Tryp Capitol, Suecia, Holiday Inn
Marianpo Offline

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Sonoma:
Just check out other messages in this section and you will find plenty of recommendations for inexpensive hotesl and "hostals," which are not hostels but simply hotels. Also, try the QDQ.com site, go to Madrid fotos, and you will be able to check out the address you are considering and its environs, including maps with parking lots clearly indicated. This info courtesy of MadridMan.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments