Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#51596 - 10/12/01 10:02 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Heard on CNN the other day that NATO has either planes or ships helping patrol the US eastern seaboard. Fernando's quote is more than timely - "Just remember you all that you are not alone. For the good times and the bad times you have a duty to protect your brothers in Europe,and you will find ourselves shoulder by shoulder when you need us."

#51597 - 10/12/01 12:49 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Topic: "Spanish tourist industry hurt?"

I know that when/if *I* get approved for the leave and the airfare isn't $1,200 R/T from Columbus, Ohio to Madrid that my USDollars will be going into the Spanish (and "American") tourism industry. I imagine European travelers will still be likely to visit Spain even during this difficult time. It's those from North American which will be a bit less likely to travel anywhere overseas for the next few months. Shame, really.

When in Spain, I plan to buy shoes, a belt or two, stay in a few hotels or hostels, buy champagne and grapes for New Years Eve, a number of meals, and MANY tapas and drinks. Mmmm.. That's how MY money will help Spanish tourist industry.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51598 - 10/13/01 11:59 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

:o Okay - back on to the original topic of this thread!
I agree with you MM - I, too, will be spending my not-so-extra-cash on an airline ticket, hostels, great food and wine - and, of course, on shoes, purses, etc. Nothing is about to deter my love for Spain nor my intention to spend a month there again ASAP.
As so many have said - we are one world, in many ways one economy .... and, oh boy, will I do my part!
BTW - I know you are planning on flying during the close-out dates - but is there any way you can hedge it by one day either side and get quite substancial savings? $1200+ just seems way to high!

#51599 - 10/16/01 11:59 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Well, no one is more p.o.-ed than my Santiago riding-mate that the ASTA conference was cancelled. He was planning to go to peddle some HP Jornadas and other computer gadgets at the expo, and now has been rerouted. I was hoping he could do some recon for our trip in April...WHICH WILL GO FORWARD AS PLANNED, NO THANKS TO YOU MR. TERRORIST JERKS!!! mad

I'm with you Puna, I'm ready to spend...and I'm not changing my life plans for some idiots who don't value life or any kind of fun or diversion. I'll proudly be wearing my US flag on my packs, my US Postal Service YELLOW jersey (thank you Lance Armstrong...) and happily making my way to Compostela as a pilgrim.

For the same respectful reasons that the US will suspend bombing during Ramadan, I know that any person who professes a belief in God, call him Krishna, Allah, Jesus, or Bob, will respect my pilgrimage. I know I'll be safe, happy and will arrive in Compostela in one piece (and in one peace).

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#51600 - 10/17/01 08:51 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Puna y CaliBasco,
You guys could not have said it better!
CaliBasco, I plan to wear my God Bless America T Shirt all the time I'm in Spain in December. I think that it is important that our European friends note that Americans are not cowed by the threats of a bunch of cowardly terrorists!

#51601 - 10/17/01 02:48 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

CaliBasco - are you planning on walking or biking the Santiago de Compostela trek? I recall both methods were mentioned a while back (a long while back!) I know there are more than a few of us who have thought about doing it - and will be looking forward to hearing about your experiences - from the planning stages onward.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#51602 - 10/17/01 03:14 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Just a quick note as I haven't had time to read all of the "posts." My husband and I just spent three weeks in Spain...returned on the 14th. Trip was delayed because of the terrorist attacks but we successfully rescheduled and left CA on September 23rd. We had an absolutely WONDERFUL time! I had forgotten how much I LOVE that country, how incredibly beautiful it is and how much I/we had missed it. The Spanish way of life suits us perfectly. I can't wait to go back!!

We saw very few American tourists, even in Segovia, Toledo and Madrid. And "up north" in La Rioja, Euskadi and Cantabria--few tourists period. We did meet an Australian, Canadian, Mexican, two Argentines and an American family--all in Madrid. There seemed to be quite a few Spaniards "touring" their country.

I have so much I want to add about lodging, restaurants, etc...will get to those topics eventually--as soon as I get caught up around here!

#51603 - 10/18/01 08:32 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I totally agree with those of you who plan on making your trips to Spain. My wife and I are planning on it, but not until next year, having put off what was to be a fall trip this year.

If our traveling in small groups, like family, makes us vulnerable, we are just as vulnerable here in the States as well.

Now... on a brighter note... I'd like to travel with CaliBasco on his trek, but my health won't allow it. So, instead, I will cheer him on all the way to the end, knowing he'll find computers enroute, to let us know how his journey is going, and giving us comprehensive information about each town and village he visits, along with a complete "Michelin Rating" of the food in various restaurants, and prices... laugh

Wolf (Who likes Calibasco's poignant posts!)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1736 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments