MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51516 - 08/10/01 07:53 AM Social Dating
funkspeed Offline

Loc: London
Hi,

I'm considering moving to live in Spain and wanted some advise on two things :

Is there a similar a similar site more specifically for Barcelona ?

Secoundly I'm single again and what is interested in how poor Spanish speakers get on with meeting people in Madrid/Barcelona.
Do English speakers have any chance of meeting cool people to go out with. Do girls there get serious quickly or is it like any other big city environment. This ISN'T a 'how do I get laid question' - I'm genuinely interested in spending quality time with local people and would like to know what to expect.

FS

#51517 - 08/10/01 10:54 AM Re: Social Dating
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
There are two factors that I like to keep in mind when discussing post-adolescent Spaniard behavior:

1) Spanish couples date an inordinately long time. It's not uncommon for a couple to "go together" for 8-10 years before tying the knot. Although I haven't asked anyone specifically, I'd wager to say that the premarital relations are somewhat commonplace.

2) Most post-adolescents who are not away at college still live with their families. Therefore, for many, the only place to be intimate is in a club, on a metro or, more commonly, in the park...where the "spider" is as common as the dirt paths leading to the benches. [If you don't know what the "spider" is, you've never been to the Retiro in the afternoon.]

This accounts for a couple of interesting phenomenae: Getting married and getting started on families much later than other cultures, and closer family ties.

How does this relate to you, you ask? I think you'll do your best to frequent public places with a friend [same gender] and just be brave. I've found that the novelty of "not being from around here" works well to break the ice. Whether you have a personality and something intelligent to say is up to you...and will determine how well you may get to know someone. Spaniards [in my experience, the women] seem "open" enough to carry on what you may consider a normal dating relationship.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1799 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments