MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#51276 - 07/13/01 01:05 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

Movies that are made really don't reflect America, or people from the US or Canada very well. We don't go to movies to see how we live, we go to be entertained, and that's all a movie is... entertainment.

Don't confuse it with us as people, or how we live. It ain't true.

Wolf (Scratching behind his left ear to get rid of those pesky fleas. rolleyes )

#51277 - 07/13/01 05:22 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I just spent a week in Palencia where most everyday myself or part of our soccer team went to a small rest. where a young waiter had proudly told us the first day that he spoke a little English. We developed this huge mutual respect as we both tried out each other's language. He would manage in the course of each meal to use the 20 or 30 words he knew, often totally out of context, and we both ended up learning from each other, having lots of laughs, and feeling pretty proud of ourselves and each other.This is definately one of the treasures I brought home.

#51278 - 07/15/01 10:28 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Of course americans are not as in the movies. What I sayed is that the movies reflex very well which you value (principles), how the places are, and how you society is organized smile
I've been living in the States for a month. I know there are some misunderstandings on how americans are, and we tend to see you as an homogeneus country (which is far from reality).

The States is a country that has catched my attention indeed. I consider that european countries are very different, but comparing any of us with you, you seem alien wink

#51279 - 07/16/01 03:36 AM Re: Being an American in Spain
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Fernando,

I know - or at least hope that you don't seriously think we are all like the movies. It is ridiculuous to even think that movies are an accurate portrayal of
our value systems. Could you imagine what my perception of Spanish society would be if I based it on the people in Torrente 2? Hopefully the mere fact that this web site exists and that so many of us use it should tell you that there are plenty of americans that agree with the ideals and values that are essential to Spanish society.

The U.S. isn't at all what it is portrayed in the movies if you delve a little deeper - except, of course, when the world is threatened by invading aliens and we all jump into our F-14's and follow Will Smith into battle to save the world; but hey there are exceptions to every rule.
smile
LCQ

#51280 - 07/16/01 09:48 AM Re: Being an American in Spain
Wolf Offline

LCQ,

And of course we all keep our F-14s behind closed doors in our garages. smile Wouldn't want anyone to know we have them.

Wolf (Who has a two car, two fighter jet garage - attached) laugh

#51281 - 07/16/01 09:10 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
It always bothers me when I address someone in Spanish but they reply in English. I always figured it was because they wanted to make things easier for me, until my sister said, "You like to practice Spanish. Don't you think they just want to practice their English?" Silly me had never thought of it like that. Also, I think quality of service depends where you go. This time in Salamanca we had fabulous service from waiters and salesladies. Prompt, friendly, courteous... we were very impressed.

#51282 - 07/16/01 10:00 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
So you have an F-14 in your garage? I told you! Like in the movies! wink

Seriously: I really think that through the movies we can get a good picture of your society.

Let me explain it. Of course we don't think you have F-14's in your garage, but, for example, it is annoying to us how the figure of the president is. In aaaaaaaall the pictures where the figure of the president is present he is a hero, that implies that he is like a great father for you, the most respected institution of the USA.

Through the movies we could know that the weapons are quite common in the USA, and that it is rather normal to have one, specially if yoy don't live in a city.

In almost every movie there is a black actor. If it is an action movie the most probable outcome is that he dies in an heroic way, while the white actor survives. What tell me that (and what I've seen in the States)? There is some guilty sense about blacks, it seems you believe you own something to them because all they suffered in the past.

Not to mention that when a latino apears on the screen he is always a narco or the bad guy (fortunately that is changing). I saw in the States that latinos where not welcomed. Some americans told me that mexicans should go back to their country, and that americans should not pay their health treatments. I was also very surprised when someone told me that before meeting any spaniard he thought we were like mexicans (nothing bad attached to being mexican, but we are phisically different).

What I would say, however, is that movies don't really show the good things about the States. I was surprised on how hard-working the americans are (it doesn't surprise me you have a strong economy). Also, I previously thought that you were too conformistic (is that right? I mean that you normally don't protest), and you are not.

One of the worst things I take back from USA was my impressions about your policemen. Not only they were not helpful, they were very bad educated, they shout at us (I'm not talking about once, but three times we encounter one) althought we were tourists.

I tend to think that they are like that because they have to face very dangerous situations, whereas in Spain that doesn't happen (of course we have crime, but not having a significant amount of weapons imply that the majority of the crime is commited with no fire arms at all).

Ahhhhh, I remember how the breakfasts were. You could go to a Big Boy, or even a McDonalds and eat that great tortitas, waffles, fried potatoes, bacon, cheddar, and all those unhealthy but tasteful food smile I really enjoyed it.

#51283 - 07/16/01 10:23 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
The world's reality is the US President is the leader of the only Superpower left. I know this sounds pompous, but it is a reality nonetheless.
It is true, we have had a troubled past and present with ALL the worlds races in terms of race relations and in American assimilation. But, don't fret, because with all those N.Aricans, Ecuadorians, and Chinese immigrants in Spain, you too will have to deal with the same issues we have been dealing with for years in the US.
I already heard that there is a black Spanish group in Spain that is trying to stop the selling of conguitos.
Instead of being an American critic, why don't you do something smart like the Sweedish parliment did. They sent a study group to the US to see how to deal with so many different cultures and races and still have a vibrant (albeit not perfect) nation.
Maybe Spain and the US could learn from each other in different areas; each gaining from the other through a mutual friendship built within a positive framework of discourse. (of course this is from one of those very optimistic Americans) I am and therfore I believe!

#51284 - 07/16/01 10:32 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

You hardly know us, or how we are. You've accepted statements from a few people and turned them into a label for all of us. Not intentionally, but because you haven't been around us, and amongst us, long enough to truly understand us.

Our President, whether we voted for him or not, is our national leader, and we offer respect to him, as such. That's the way it should be. We are the "United" States, not a coalition of countries with their own agendas.

I've heard Spaniards say that the illegal Morrocans should go home. What you hear someone refer to in the U.S. is that the illegal Mexicans should go home. It's the same thing, not a conspiracy against them. In fact over the years they have been allowing many of them to gain U.S. citizenship.

The question of us owning guns is an interesting one. It is our constitutional right to own them. Yet, to someone outside the U.S. it sounds like everyone is running around on the street wearing a gun belt with a .357 magnum in a holster. I personally own six guns. I've had them for years. I hunted for years, and the shotguns and rifle were for that purpose. As for my two handguns, they are registered and legal, just like the majority of all the guns in the U.S. Our problem is with the illegal guns that are out on the street, and are doing what we can, legally, to get the laws changed to add severe penalties for anyone who uses a firearm in commission of a crime. In Spain, there are illegal guns as well. You made it sound like there weren't. We all know they exist, and know they are in the hands of people who wouldn't think twice about using them, and have done so already in some cases.

As for your statement about our movies, I think you're reading a hell of a lot more into things than exists.

Wolf

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: Wolfgang81 ]

#51285 - 07/17/01 08:05 PM Re: Being an American in Spain
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
There are a lot of legal guns also in Spain. As Bush Senior can attest to. A favorite hunting partner of his is the King of Spain. Where do they hunt, in Spain of course.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1698 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments