Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#51210 - 06/14/01 05:05 PM Re: International Health Insurance
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
If you have a blue 'tarjeta de residencia' you will also receive a yellow social security card and full benefits.

#51211 - 06/17/01 03:56 PM Re: International Health Insurance
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Have you tried AAA? I've always been please with what they had to offer.

#51212 - 06/18/01 06:57 PM Re: International Health Insurance
Anessa Offline

Loc: Riverside, CA, U.S.A.
I guess what I really need is emergency medical coverage. Would it be better just to get travel insurance? Does AAA cover you for a year? Do I have to be able to prove that I have a student or residence visa to get emergency or travel insurance for a year?I know that Council Travel provides travel insurance for students and teachers, but does anyone know of emergency-type coverage that would be cheaper than Council Travel? confused

#51213 - 06/18/01 11:18 PM Re: International Health Insurance
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
I'm from Canada and was a student in Connecticut for 2 1/2 years. Every year I would get a health plan with AAA that was above and beyond what I was provided with at the school. I also had coverage on the same plan for traveling to Greece. If I recall, on the one year plan I think you only get a certain number of days or months out of country. Because I was returning home during the summers, I would purchase the year plan and pay the extra for extra days beyond the # days covered by the plan. If I returned home during the time I was covered (like weekends or short holidays) I was reimbursed for those days since i wasn't considered out of the country. They also offered a 24 hr emergency service with this plan. I'll be going to AAA again this Thursday to get my health coverage for my trip to Spain & Portugal next week. Looking this over, I'm not sure I'm clear. But I hope it gives a bit of an idea of my experience. Keep in mind the plan I had probably isn't the only one they offer and your insurance level was based on your previous health history.

#51214 - 06/19/01 03:36 PM Re: International Health Insurance
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Anessa, if I were you I'd go with Sanitas. I had a policy with them for about 12 years, and they're really good. It just makes sense to me to have more than just emergency coverage, and they're not that expensive. I don't want to scare you, but I have noticed that some Americans who go to Spain to live come down with some sort of minor medical problem the first year - usually respiratory, like a cold that won't go away - that clears up eventually. They aren't emergencies, but it is good to see a doctor to get help with something when it becomes a real annoyance. You just don't know what might happen, and poor health can really mess up your plans in a big way.

On the other hand, if you want to get more information on travel insurance, I use TravelGuard, and they seem really good (although I haven't had to file any claims - and hope not to have to!). Their website is at www.travelguard.com and their phone number is 877-216-4885. Their website doesn't have rates for trips over 30 days, and they recommend you call them for those rates. You may want to try calling to see how they compare to the others you have info on.

Good luck!

#51215 - 06/19/01 04:28 PM Re: International Health Insurance
lagurl Offline

Hola!
Travelguard is good, but I just got off the phone with them and they only offer 30 days coverage and then $5/day for everyday after that. A bit expensive...don't you think? Go to www.languagesabroad.com
They offer coverage for up to 2 years and have a $22/week rate or if you are staying for awhile you can get a monthly rate of $72. Give them a try...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments