Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#51158 - 06/21/01 12:07 PM Re: Smoking
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I'm still back at the healthy air in LA!! rolleyes Is that before or after the smog burns off? You are correct Cali, which is worse?? Do we work on the pollution or the cigarette smokers? I guess both go back to corporate America.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Nic ]

#51159 - 06/26/01 08:29 PM Re: Smoking
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
"I didn't inhale..."

I was traveling through Chino, California [cattle country] last evening and had a huge WHIFF of deja vu: I remember living in Bilbao in the late 80s and remarking that there seemed to be an aroma around every corner. Add that to the endless supply of Ducados, Celtas and other pseudo-cigs and you have the makings for quite a methane-mix madness.

If you've been to Madrid on the lower metro lines (5-10), you know the smell....mmmm... eek

#51160 - 06/27/01 03:30 PM Re: Smoking
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I went to madrid last fall and definitely noticed the smoke, as a non-smoker. It hits you hard as soon as you step off the plane. My clothes had the "spain smell" when I got home, but by that time I was really missing spain, and made my friends go to a spanish restaurant the very next day. (Arco de Cuchilleros on Halsted Street, for those in the Chicago area - good paella) I MADE us all sit in the smoking section so that I could reminisce! I actually got nostalgic about the cigarette smoke, it reminded me of being in Spain! a little goofy, I know...

#51161 - 07/04/01 02:45 PM Re: Smoking
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Smoking is everywhere in Spain. I think everyone has made that point clear. What's amazing is how there are still very few places you can't smoke in Spain. It's also not something that is enforced even if it isnt' allowed in some places. I'll never forget my last trip when as soon as I stepped into the terminal, the man next to me lit up.
Also, it is interesting to note that you can also smoke in the hallways of the Reina Sofia. Oh yes and also in Hospital waiting rooms. That one was unexpected.

#51162 - 07/05/01 10:40 AM Re: Smoking
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Ah, yes, no flash photography, but feel free to smoke as many Ducados or Fortunas as your (struggling) heart wishes!!!

Gotta love it!! wink

#51163 - 07/05/01 10:40 PM Re: Smoking
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
That reminds me of a couple of mostly-empty churches where guards, in sneaky whispers, told my husband and me that we could take photos, even with flash, if we wanted. One was so cute...pointing out things to photograph and standing guard near the door to let us know if anyone was coming. He kept putting an arm around me and my husband, ushering us to a new spot. And all the while grinning like a teenager sneaking a puff behind the gym. smile

#51164 - 07/06/01 07:31 AM Re: Smoking
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi!

Well, I'm a spaniard and I hate smoke :-(

Some of my friends smoke, I don't mind if they do it in an opend place, but I ask them to smoke less if the place is closed (the same right not to smoke than to smoke).

When I was in the US I was really annoyed on how extremist had become the anti-tobacco feelings. You even have "free drugs areas" (where noone can smoke, even in the streets). That is very shocking from a spanish point of view.

You can always ask a spaniard calmly not to smoke if you are in a very close room and he will probably cease to smoke. Otherwise, if you do it vehemently he will just laugh at you and continue to smoke. That's because we are not used to those restrictions.

If you hate tobacco smoke don't try discos, they are not as well ventilated and the smoke concentrates in great amounts. I can't stand it, so I go outside frequently to breath some fresh air...

Anyway, be "tolerant" with the smoke in Spain, we just don't see it the same way as you.

#51165 - 07/14/01 03:39 PM Re: Smoking
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I don't smoke. I don't drink coffee. Except in Spain.

Spain is the only place I encounter that magic combination of a fine cuban cigar, an exceptional cup of coffee and a magnificent brandy. Elsewhere you might find one, or even two of those essential ingredients for an after-dinner indulgence. But not having all three is insufficient.

Lacking any one makes it easy not to smoke, or drink coffee, or have an after-dinner brandy. Or to do any of those unhealthy, un-American things.

But in Spain, where it all can come together, why not enjoy and go with the flow?
Cantabene

#51166 - 07/14/01 04:13 PM Re: Smoking
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

Why in the world would anyone ride past Chino? It's like taking a ride near the gates of hell with bald tires, and no spare. God only knows what kind of help you'll get, and the only phone available is behind that doggone gate... eek

I'd rather take an August vacation and spend it in Death Valley divining for water rolleyes

Wolf (Who hopes nobody from Chino is on this board. They couldn't be, they ain't got phones or electricity yet. wink )

#51167 - 07/14/01 05:51 PM Re: Smoking
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I fully agree with you Cantabene. What's life without samll pleasures?.Even though I dont' smoke, I fully suscribe the hedonistic view on coffe and brandy as the perfect opening for conversation after a meal. In fact they complete the lunch experience (if it deserves it).

Life is finding balances between this and the other. And you are supposed to know what you are doing; generally speaking, a couple of coffes a day won't harm, 10 may shorten your life...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2941 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments