MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#51148 - 06/20/01 10:15 AM Re: Smoking
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
The smoking related illnesses I observed in Spain were an alarming number of older men who had apparently had throat cancer - they had the little things in their throat, and had trouble talking, having had much of the voice box removed. I am not sure how correct I am on that - never really wanted to go up to a stranger and ask them "what happened?!" People told me that the dark tobacco smoked in Spain affects your throat more than your lungs, and that is the reason for so many instanced of throat cancer.

anyone know if that is true?

#51149 - 06/20/01 12:40 PM Re: Smoking
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How about those DUCADOS? eek I smoked one about 5 years ago in Spain, and let me tell you, I thought I was going to die right there! I smoke socially, but those cigarettes are pure, NASTY tobacco! To all those light smokers who are looking for an incentive to quit - here it is! Smoke a pack of Ducados and it will surely make you feel like quitting for good! laugh laugh eek

SusiLaGallega

#51150 - 06/20/01 01:36 PM Re: Smoking
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Suzi,

I tried Ducados in 1996 while in Spain. I think the liberal translation for them into English is "camel dung." eek

Wolf (Who was nearly trampled to death when he tried to light up a camel, and couldn't figure which end of the beast you were supposed to hold onto while doing it.) laugh

#51151 - 06/20/01 02:30 PM Re: Smoking
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Ducados are crap! I know what you all are saying. I smoked Fortuna Lights. I thought how bad can a ducado be...try one and find out why they are so cheap!

#51152 - 06/20/01 04:06 PM Re: Smoking
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I think Ducados are so cheap because they are locally grown (aren't they? Canary Islands, maybe??).

VERY unfortunately for me, my ladyfriend has been a smoker of Ducados since she was, like, 16 (now 40 years old). She knows how much I hate it and, at my firm request, doesn't smoke in my apartment or car. Luckily (if there CAN be a positive side to this), she only smokes maybe 5-8 per day (less these two years she has been in the US because of the restrictions, but returning to Madrid in August). She even gave up smoking for 1 year towards the beginning of our relationship because of the ultimatum I gave her. I just couldn't see myself living with or loving a smoker. Well, as I said, she gave it up for a year, but went back to it and that's when I had to make some serious decisions; live with the smoke or lose the woman I love dearly? Decision made - even at the risk to my own health. But in the end, it will likely be the smoking that divides us when she dies of cancer. She says she's prepared for that. But of course, I am not. frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51153 - 06/20/01 04:49 PM Re: Smoking
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I really need to stop working and check this forum more.

Anyone who would like to attend anti-smoking rally this September at Valle de los Caídos (with all the other anti-smoking fascists) is welcome. If you want to come, Brien, you'll need to leave your Fortunas at home. :p

Ducados are crap, yes, but they are not the worst in Spain: See "Celtas", which, loosely translated means "'tis better to inhale sheep methane". Incidentally the mascot for Celtas is also synonymous with "football club from Vigo which exhibits qualities similar to the smell of sheep methane".

The last time I checked, Celtas were a duro cheaper than the "notebook paper and yard grass" packaged under the "Ducados" pseudonym. Makes me glad to be able to breathe the clean Los Angeles air on a daily basis...my lung cancer comes to me free of charge! laugh

#51154 - 06/20/01 06:27 PM Re: Smoking
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Egads - go to Hungary - they have some product marketed as cigarettes there called Symphonia... the novel 1984 and Victory cigs come to mind... though Ducados and the Caporals from France are close.

#51155 - 06/21/01 07:33 AM Re: Smoking
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
i have to say that in reading brien´s response i´m really in agreement with him (and laughed myself silly sitting here reading your responses brien). smoking is still huge in spain, enough so that you don´t have to smoke if you´re a smoker, you can just walk around smelling the air. people smoke everywhere here, even in the metro, on buses, etc., but they also eat a lot of crap (i´m sorry, but frying everything, even in olive oil, is really not all that healthy either and you´d think fatty meat grew on trees here, its like a sidedish of it comes with everything) and just about burst their eardrums with all the ruido they make. You´ll just have to learn how to take it for what it is, just as they would in our country. Incessant, overzealous smoking IS bad, but so are incessantly overzealous non-smokers.

#51156 - 06/21/01 07:59 AM Re: Smoking
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
At least we don't worry ourselves to death about what we eat. Hmm...healthy Mediterranean diet is the oft used phrase that springs to mind....but that must be wrong then, is it?

Anchovy (a.k.a. Crap Eater, who incidentalkly used to smoke 40 plus smuggled Marlboros a day until he stopped overnight three and a half years ago and now wears a halo instead) rolleyes

#51157 - 06/21/01 10:03 AM Re: Smoking
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Sheba,

I like your attitude and thanks for the compliment about my messages...I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if i have any more comments about smoking....well i always do but i think i will move on to another topic!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3023 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments