Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#51128 - 06/07/01 09:08 AM Smoking
dewey Offline

Loc: albany, new york
What is the smoking like in Madrid and the rest of Spain? My wife is very bothered by smoke. Will we find many smokers in restaurants and tapas bars?

#51129 - 06/07/01 09:21 AM Re: Smoking
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi dewey,
It's been 3 years since the last time I was in Spain, but one of the things I remember most is the fact that everyone smoked over there!!! O.k., that is quite an exaggeration, but the truth is, if it is still the same as it was three years ago, smokers are everywhere. My friend just came back from Europe and went to Madrid and Barcelona... the two things she noticed were:
1) EVERYONE and their mother has a cellphone.
2) There are a lot of smokers!
As far as I know, there are no laws against smoking in restaurants in Spain (which is the case here in Toronto), so the best bet for you and your wife would be to eat outside in the patios. At least then you will have some fresh air circulating!

#51130 - 06/07/01 09:23 AM Re: Smoking
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Yes your wife probably will be bothered by smoke. The only restaurants which totally ban smoking are healthy vegetarian ones. You may find no smoking areas in bigger restaurants, but in smaller traditional bars and restaurants, probably not. If you want to enjoy the "real" Spain you'll most likely have to accept it warts, smoke, and all. Or stick to outdoor terrazas.

#51131 - 06/07/01 09:34 AM Re: Smoking
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
From what I understand, the majority of Spaniards still smoke. In fact, the last time we flew by Iberia, to Madrid, from Chicago, there was still a smoking section on the plane. Whether or not that has changed, I don't know, but I do know there are very few places where second hand smoke isn't around. In fact, those restaurants that we found, that had non-smoking sections, actually did very little to ventilate the smoking area... as opposed to what is done in the US. The sections were more of a courtesy than a reality, and on one occasion, when the smoking area had been filled, and there were vacant seats in the non-smoking area, they allowed smokers into the forbidden area, where they puffed away.

Basically the same thing applies on public transportation, like buses, where smokers take up the majority of the space. You'll also run into cabbies who smoke as well.

If you're looking for a smoke free environment, it's certainly not Spain.

Wolf (Still trying to kick the habit, won't smoke in the house.)

#51132 - 06/07/01 09:50 AM Re: Smoking
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Just a quick addendum. Smoking is now forbidden on all transport – from planes to metro to busses – it is still permitted in one or two carriages on trains. It is forbidden in all public buildings as well, and in a month or so will be forbidden in the work place (impossible to enforce, I should add) It isn't allowed in taxi's either, but if you are a smoker you can ask for permission. If the driver's a smoker, he'll be relieved that he can light up too...

#51133 - 06/07/01 09:54 AM Re: Smoking
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I would say that 40-50% of people in Spain smoke. You can't in buses, planes, etc. A new law is being proposed for all offices. As for bars and restaurants, some have non smoking sections.

All in all it's like 1982 or something.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#51134 - 06/07/01 11:58 AM Re: Smoking
Luces de Bohemia Offline

I remember once in Barajas (Madrid Airport) this American woman was complaining about Spain and saying that she was tired of smokers and bla, bla, bla... she was going way to far giving her opinion about "those bastard Spanish smokers" who were spoiling her health. One Spaniard there, told her that if she didn't like smokers not to come back to their country and that it was more unhealthy to weight 300 kilos and eat like a pig (she was a VERY heavy American woman)
So, if she really gets bother by smoke she will have a hard time in Spain, but please don't complain in front of Spaniards, because some of them speak English.

#51135 - 06/07/01 12:06 PM Re: Smoking
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Agree, your wife is going to have a hard time in all of Europe if she is a smoke hater. Frankly, in most parts of the world. Americans seem to be the only people that can get away with being rude to smokers. I have an Uncle that is embarrassing he is so vocal about smokers when he goes to a restaurant. When we were in Madrid last month, I found that only vegetarian restaurants have a petite non smoking section. I beleive that one of the vegetarian restaurants, near the Puerta del sol, someone out there knows the name, is entirely non smoking.

#51136 - 06/07/01 12:44 PM Re: Smoking
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
As for restaurants, the law says those bigger than 20 tables must have a separate non-smoking section. Otherwise, it's up to the restaurant owner to let people smoke or not.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#51137 - 06/07/01 01:42 PM Re: Smoking
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi dewey! I moved your topic here to the "About Spain" forum since it seemed more of a cultural issue than about restaurants/bars (even though the two are completely related).

I was (or actually, wasn't really too..) surprised to see this topic take off as it has with already 8 replies since your original posting earlier this morning. It's a passionate topic for most people either for or against.

Smoking in Spain doesn't really bother me all that much, but probably because my ladyfriend (from Madrid) is a smoker too - not a chain smoker, but of the 5-7 daily variety. I used to be a headstrong ANTI-smoker (I don't and never smoked myself -- I taste better "cured" than "smoked" anyway. Haahahaha..), but found that only made for problems with the people/persons I loved dearly (mainly Spaniards).

I believe there was a thread here a LONG time ago about a friend of a friend, an "American", who went to restaurant in Spain and they threw one of those fake "coughing fits + nasty stare" deals to get the smoker next to her/him to realize their smoke was a bother and to quit, but that smoker gave her/him a "are you a nut?!" look back.

I've often said to people that when they go to Spain to keep their minds open and not be judgemental as all cultures are different, have different views, and perceive things different, standards, etc.. To realize that we're all different, not one better or worse than another, not more or less advanced, no more or less moral, and, well, just different. I just love that we are different. How boring it would be if all other countries/cultures were JUST like my own.

Wow. I've written entirely too much on this cultural issue and I'm not at all pro-smoking (more to the contrary), but have learned to be, well, tolerant or understanding or flexible. We all have our own values and things that make us comfortable. I've said enough. Now for a cup of caffeine-rich coffee. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3008 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments