Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51088 - 05/16/01 04:09 PM Santander vs. San Sebastian
brvalentine Offline

I'm planning to do a 4 or 6 week language study in Spain this summer and I'm trying to decide between Santander and San Sebastian. I've done a lot of internet research and read many guidebooks, but I still don't have much of a feel for the differenct between the two cities.
Can anyone share their experiences in these cities? What are the most significant differences between the two? Pros and cons?

Additionally, I'd love to get recommendations for language schools in either place. I've found a number on the internet but I wanted to hear about personal experiences.

#51089 - 05/16/01 07:31 PM Re: Santander vs. San Sebastian
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi Br: Both cities are nice but I think that if you are going for that amount of time you should DEFINITELY choose San Sebastián. I spent time in both when I was backpacking around Spain years ago and I have gone back to San Sebastián since. I think you should experience the Basque culture and hit SS since Santander is different but still has that general Spain feeling. You really have to experience it for yourself to understand it. Both citiers have beach, sun and fun but personally I found San Sebastián to be more lively and quaint. It has more of a nightlife and a city center. You can always take a weekend and spend it in Santander. Just my 2 pesetas worth. Good luck, Jer... cool

#51090 - 05/17/01 05:19 AM Re: Santander vs. San Sebastian
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There was a similarly entitled 'thread' on one of Madridman's forums (fora?) not too long ago. You might try to look it up and see what people have to say.

As for me, I prefer Santander: Universidad Internaciónal Menendez Pelayo (UIMP) is right on Avda. de los Castros in el Sardinero. It's not a 'fly by night' language school. It's been there at least 50-years. As for night life: last September, we stayed at Hostal Paris in el Sardinero - we were awakened by the crowds leaving the 'discos' every night around 04:00. rolleyes

40-years ago it was the Tuna Universitaria congregating at 'El Chupi' tavern on Avda. de los Castros that kept me awake half the night. Now it's the 'discotecas.'

The people in Cantabria (Santander) speak Castellano very fast. They say Madrileños have a drawl. eek

One vote for Santander!

BTW
I was lucky to be able to renew acquaintances with some 'old' friends on Avda. de los Castros, one of whom was the owner/manager of 'El Chupi,' which, by the way, is the Spanish word for a child's 'pacifier.' :p

[ 05-17-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#51091 - 05/22/01 04:39 PM Re: Santander vs. San Sebastian
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Eddie- You should start a post on cool/unforgettable stories from your student days-gone-by! I remember having a similar tuna experience in Salamanca. They were trucking around the Plaza Mayor at midnight, going strong. It seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same!

Seriously, I would love to hear your comparisons with similar experiences, now 40 years into the future. smile

[ 05-22-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#51092 - 05/23/01 05:35 AM Re: Santander vs. San Sebastian
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Thanks! But things have changed so much! Even the names have changed. La Montaña, the Province that used to be called Santander is now Cantabria. We were there for el día de Cantabria last September. Much tradition has been replaced by modern stuff like discos. A lot of the 'modern' stuff isn't really as nice as the way things were.
I asked Quito, the owner of el Chupi, to find a group of 'Tunos' from the University to sing 'las Mañanitas' to my wife, who was celebrating her birthday (she did the same for me at Plazuela Mariachi in Guadalajara (Jalisco) a few years ago - it brought tears to my eyes). He couldn't deliver.
The last time I saw a Tuna Universitaria was in Santiago de Compostela, 24 July, '99 as the Año Júbilar Xacobeo was drawing to an end. But that was Santiago - where the Tuna Universitaria was born! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1792 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments