Just saw this thread and had to post something. I lived in Andalucia for five years during the sixties and in Madrid almost 8 during the mid-80s til 91. My hair is a true, natural Titian red. Let me tell you, it caused a sensation. I wore it quite long and usually just pulled back with a head band.
I was standing outside the Carmelite school in Puerto de Santa Maria waiting for my oldest child to leave classes for lunch when an older Spanish lady came up and grabbing a piece of my hair held it up so the sunlight could shine through it. She kept asking me "que numero es". I finally figured out she thought I dyed my hair and was asking the Pantene color number.
We were fortunate enough while living in Andalucia to make the acquaintence of many wonderful Spaniards. Everyone from bullfighters to flamenco stars. One of our friends owned a bar/restaurant in Cadiz where flamenco stars hung out. (He had been a dancer with Carmen Amaya). Many a night there would be mano a mano singing and dancing. Many times the improvised lyrics would sing about my hair. Talk about an ego trip!Just another note: less than 4% of the total world population has natural red hair.