Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50897 - 03/18/01 05:48 AM language??? (problem??)
rida Offline

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I will be visiting madrid, seville and granada next week. I have heard that most people do not speak English in these places. Is that true? Since i hardly know a single word of Spanish,will it be difficult to get around?

#50898 - 03/18/01 10:13 AM Re: language??? (problem??)
tomas Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, USA
You will find many people who speak some English - especially younger people in their teens and twenties.

My recommendation - make an effort to know some very basic words - if you make the attempt to speak their language, people in many countries are more than willing to help you out.

Cheers!

Tomas

------------------
"Salud, amor y pesetas - y tiempo para gozarlos" http://home.att.net/~t.macentee

#50899 - 03/21/01 02:37 AM Re: language??? (problem??)
mimi Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I came back from Spain a couple of months ago. I was really surprised at how little most people spoke English. I struggled quite a bit, and I do speak a little bit of spanish and I am fluent in Italian. My suggestion is take a really good little phrase book with you. Mine was invaluable. cheers

#50900 - 03/28/01 12:38 AM Re: language??? (problem??)
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
I agree! Not that I expect everyone to speak English but I went to Spain in 1986 and then again last year and I seem to recall encountering many more people that spoke English the first time I went. I speak passible (although very latin american) Spanish and was quite glad I did as many people in hostals, restaurants and even at the airport spoke no or limited english. Definately get a guidebook. I bought a small Dorling Kindersley Spanish Phrasebook in Madrid and found that it had just about everything you would need.

#50901 - 03/30/01 04:01 PM Re: language??? (problem??)
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
DEFINITELY bring a phrase book, and if you are going to be in Spain for more than a few days, bring a dictionary, too. Most people do not speak English, and some don´t have much patience when it comes to figuring out what you´re saying.

#50902 - 03/30/01 04:30 PM Re: language??? (problem??)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree with the previous posts--learn a bit, even a TINY bit, and offer it with a smile. I have found Spanish people to be very friendly when you try to speak Spanish--well, friendly in general, but particularly helpful when you try.

You really do need to keep your sense of humor, and be willing to listen to some rapid-fire Spanish coming back at you--but remember, there are some important similarities between Spanish and English, and if you pay attention, you can probably figure out more than you would have imagined.

I have found that many Spanish people don't mind chattering away at you in Spanish, perhaps hoping that you'll pick SOMETHING up--and you usually will. My husband speaks NO Spanish (well, stupid made-up Spanish, but I try to ignore that) and understood lots of what went on while we were there.

And enjoy those moments when the little light bulb goes on for both you and the Spanish person with whom you're trying to communicate--I have had some great laughs with shopkeepers once we finally get around to understanding one another.

#50903 - 04/04/01 09:50 AM Re: language??? (problem??)
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
I would definitely suggest you bring a phrasebook. I had a very difficult time being in Spain without one. I would agree with the rest of the posts, if you try to speak a little bit of Spanish, people are more likely to help you. Good Luck.

#50904 - 04/04/01 12:16 PM Re: language??? (problem??)
kbl Offline

Attitude and manners are everything! Be patient and polite and smile warmly (that's easy, you'll be feeling soooo good)and give it your best effort. You might encounter a few overworked, tired and cranky Spaniards who'll answer your smile with a scowl and mumble under their breaths, but by far the majority will be marvelously helpful and pleasant.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1615 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments