MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#50842 - 03/21/01 03:00 AM Re: Colloquialisms
mahou_fan Offline

Loc: la ca usa
oh here's another:

'ajo y agua' = short for 'a joderse y a aguantarse' the best translation i can think of is 'to shut up and put up with...,' 'too bad,' etc...

i should add, 'deal with it..' to the definition..

[This message has been edited by mahou_fan (edited 03-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 03-21-2001).]

#50843 - 03/21/01 06:22 AM Re: Colloquialisms
nevado Offline

Mahou_Fan, I LOVE that one- my husband always says it to me...wonder why? Another favorite is, El que se fue a Sevilla, perdió su silla. Habitat was using that in an ad campaign of theirs a few years ago. Cute!

#50844 - 03/24/01 05:00 PM Re: Colloquialisms
Eniac Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
Lovely topic...I'm amazed at how many of these we use in Puerto Rican slang...although we have expanded on the whole "me cago en ..." idea...heh heh...
--
E

#50845 - 03/24/01 10:35 PM Re: Colloquialisms
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
No te preocupes, Calibasco.
There are a lot of Mexican students at our school - I mean FROM Mexico,not just of Mexican heritage, many don't speak much English yet and they've been the greatest source of "iffy" slang for my students. Whenever one of my students asks me to tell him how to say something marginally "bad", I tell him to make friends with one of the kids from Mexico and learn some Spanish from him. It's actually kind of good for the non-Mexican kids to learn some real street Spanish, that way they feel more confident trying to speak Spanish to those native speakers. I know of one girl who really surprised a young Mexican boy when he said something inappropriate to her in slang - she responded - in Spanish! He never did it again...but they're friends now.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments