MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#50650 - 10/17/00 04:58 PM Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I haven't looked hard, but I haven't seen any chatter about the Camino de Santiago. I'm planning a bike trip on the Camino Francés for 2002. I've lived, studied and traveled extensively in Spain, but really haven't paid attention to the Camino itself. I think I'll do some recon work in 2001 when I visit family, but I was wondering if anyone had some information on the PHYSICAL geography of the road. All of the sites I've found only talk about how long it takes from point A to point B. I'm curious for some real-world info from you!

#50651 - 10/17/00 08:34 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I saw a documentary on it on PBS a few years ago. Maybe you could research their archives to find the sources they used for information - one of the groups they interviewed, I believe was biking it, and trust me, a cycler defintitely wants to know the condition of a road before embarking on a long tour. You could also check out tourist companies that arrange bike or walking tours of the camino.

#50652 - 10/18/00 12:22 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, CaliBasco,

There is a thread under Favorite Places called Santiago de Compostela that's been archived. You'll definitely want to see it, as someone who cycled the Camino posted on it. Do a search (there's a button above to the right), and perhaps, if you add a post to it, you may want to get it going again!

Eddie mentions the book Off the Road by Jack Hitt in that thread. It's one of my favorite books on Spain. Since you have some time till your trip, do try to read it. It's all about the Camino, and is quite entertaining!

BTW, just what is the Camino Frances? Is that the Camino to Santiago that starts in France?

#50653 - 10/18/00 04:29 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

The Camino Francés is the Road to Santiago that starts in Valcarlos (Luzaide) about 5 km from the French border. You can see some pictures of that on my web site. Check my profile. Anyway, the camino in Spain really starts in Roncesvalles where you get your pilgrim's passport stamped. It's called the Camino Francés because most of the roads from different parts of Europe through France meet up in St. Jean Pied-de-Port, just before the Spanish border. Let me know if you find any good resources on the actual physicality of the trail. Thanks!

#50654 - 10/18/00 04:37 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
your link to your site in your profile isn't working correctly CaliBasco?

#50655 - 10/19/00 11:14 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the heads-up...it should be correct now. I forgot the "tilde". I'll have to check yours out when I get a second...

#50656 - 10/20/00 05:13 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

By the way, MissMadrid98, I thought you had a lot to offer on your site. I haven't taken the time to go all out with a Spain site yet. I have a few pics from our recent trip in 1999, and hope to get the drive (and time) to add more soon. Anyway, great site, and I agree with your feelings on El Escorial. It must have been interesting actually living in such a small pueblo while studying.

#50657 - 10/20/00 07:09 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
thanks calibasco for your comments, they are greatly appreciated! Actually today I uplodaed pictures on to my site and have changed a few things around and changed the URL, it is now complete!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

[This message has been edited by missmadrid98 (edited 10-20-2000).]

#50658 - 10/21/00 11:09 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I can't tell you anything about cycling the Camino but here's a URL that might help you http://users.aol.com/Tourism99/index.html
It has a map showing stages (etapas) of the Camino all the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago (copied from an Italian guidebook). In February, '99 I met a group of Bavarian Camino Guides who work out of Pamplona (met one of them again in July, '99 on a return visit there for Santiago).
Happy Trails!

#50659 - 10/31/00 04:50 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I wanted to get back to my original question, as I've exhausted all of the internet resources on the trip to Santiago itself:

How would you describe the phyiscal makeup of the trail? Is it rocky, single-track, soft dirt, packed clay, paved, all of these? If it is all of these, what's the ratio? Has anyone made this trek on bicycle? How's the upkeep on the trail?

Thanks!!!! I'm a little clueless on the trail itself, even though I know the surrounding countrysides fairly well.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3011 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments