Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50632 - 02/07/01 03:07 PM Overview of Spain Experience
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
My Spain Experience with daughter has been memorable and very enjoyable. From Madrid, Cordoba, Granada, Algeciras, La Linea, Cadiz, Seville, all these places have their own magic. I do not know whether we were lucky that my daughter and I were warmly received in all these cities. We did not encounter any rudeness despite that we were so obviously strangers by just our features and color of our skin. Restaurants, bars, clubs and shopping areas, the Spaniards were so hospitable and most often provided service beyond the call of duty. One incident of accommodations was from El Cortes Ingles In Arguelles, Madrid food section. We were buying ingredients to cook for lunch on New Year's eve, I pick an onion from an open bag without realizing that I should have bought from the stand where one could buy single item of vegetables. As we proceeded to the check-out cashier, she in a polite way told folks in line that she is not charging me for the onion since I do not know better as a tourist and the folks on the line were so gracious. Often, I made stupid mistakes but no one was rude instead understanding was extended to me. That was very impressive! We were very lucky not to have experienced pickpockets or robbed! All the hostals we stayed had a very family atmosphere and advice of precautions were given to us. They seemed to be so protected probably we were mother/daughter travelers. Upon my return to the U.S., I adapted some Spanish way of living. On Sundays, I began preparing big meals for lunch and just tapas for dinner. I have invited my son (will soon be 17 next month) during lunch to have a glass of wine with us. In the evenings, after tapas, I have obligated my husband to have evening walks with me. What really impress with the Spanish life is seeing seniors citizens from the cities we visited, very alive, seeing them everywhere from bars, restaurant, parks, metro, bus and the men despite their age - still flirting. The most amazing was in Cadiz, an old man who is half paralyzed still out in a bar with his cain, drinking beer and hear his laughter with friends. That incident touched me so much that we often complain too much and forgetting how enjoy and live life. The only incident that I complained and made a big deal was at a Chinese restaurant in Madrid on my last day. The server gave us a table at the very end of the room and near the restrooms. There was a table for two available but it was used as a service table where they have glasses and other utensils. I told my daughter in Spanish the server that I would like to sit at the service table for the reason I do not like people passing behind me going to the rest room. I told my daughter I do not appreciate to sit at the very back and near the restroom. In all the cities we visited, we were usually the only "darkies" in the restaurant and never had to sit at the very end and near the rest rooms. This incident at a Chinese restaurant in Madrid, made me upset and I made a remark to my daughter that I am shocked to be treated this way in Madrid to think in a Chinese Restaurant. My daughter told me that it is not a "color issue" but non-availability of table for two. Some distractions were created that the manager asked in Spanish what is wrong. So I told my daughter to exactly tell the manager that I do want to eat at the end of the room and near the rest room. The manager apologized and told the server to move the utensil and arrange the service table for us. That incident at the Chinese restaurant was our first dispute in principle. My daughter argued that the reason we were offered that table was no table was available for two; I told my daughter that was not true, it was the color of our skin. Any way, things were worked out, we had the service table and instead of having first plate and second plate, they accommodated my request having all the food be served. Of all the cities we visited, I am like the Cadiz the best for their oceanfront parks, nearness to Seville and Algeciras, not so crowded but not sleepy like Cordoba. My Spain experience has awakened my spirits! Definitely, I SHALL RETURN! To the board, thank you for taking time to post your impression, comments on Spain. We were adventurious with caution and respected and enjoyed each cities' cultures. I have this joke that I just put together and it goes this way: I left my country as a Filipino, returned as an American and will die as a Spaniard!
BESOS!

#50633 - 02/07/01 04:09 PM Re: Overview of Spain Experience
Sol Offline

mclarke-

Thank you for relating your Spanish experiences. I have modified our up-coming visit to include La Linea based upon your description of your visit.

Sol

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1853 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments