Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50619 - 01/31/01 05:24 PM Living in Spain
Ed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
I am investigating retiring in Spain; however there is not too much information about health service, avoiding dual taxation from the US and Spain ...etc...

How do you folks who live there work this out? I'm not too worried about health matter because I'm sure that health insurance is available that I can buy. It's the taxes that bother me. I don't want to squander my retirement paying off two governments.

The language is no problem, just learning the local idioms and perhaps adjusting to a less formal method of speaking spanish. I already know folks there and we can communicate well.

Thanks for any information I get.
Ed. Coronado

#50620 - 01/31/01 11:21 PM Re: Living in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Ed,

I think Spain is a great place to retire to. You're right about the health insurance and the language. They won't be a problem. You would have to pay income taxes to the US (while living in Spain) only if your income is over a certain amount - it was US$70,000 a year last time I was filing for income tax in both countries, which was 4 years ago. I don't know, however, if there is a difference between income from employment and income from retirement.

I've come across a website where you can ask lawyers in Spain questions, and they answer online. It's at http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/ They have an archive of questions, and you may find info there. If not, you could always ask them.

There is a book by David Hampshire called Living and Working in Spain. According to the reviews on amazon.com, it has information on retiring in Spain. May be worth a look.

There are so many retirees in southern Spain, the best thing to do may be to actually go there and talk to people. There are plenty of services available to them there, but they don't seem to be easy to find on the internet. Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 01-31-2001).]

#50621 - 02/01/01 11:31 AM Re: Living in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You can also find "Living and Working In Spain" in the non-fiction section of MadridMan's ALL Spain Market .

My sister gave me this great book (written/published in England) a few years when I made my FIRST UNsuccessful attempt at moving/working to/in Spain. There is a full section on retiring there too. The same author, David Hampshire, has another book called "Buying a Home in Spain", which you can find through the same link above, which you might find useful. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1683 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments