Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50616 - 01/30/01 12:39 AM semana santa (Andalucía)
abrand Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
I'll be in spain for the famed holy week. All the tour books say Sevilla is the place to be. I don't know why but I'm drawn to Cordoba and Granada more than Sevilla, in general. How are the happenings in those two places during that week in April vs. Sevilla? SHould I book now for those dates regardless of where I end up?

I'm trying to fly by the seat of my pants so booking a room to far in advance won't exactly fulfill those wishes. But I guess you do what you must do.

THanks, Amber

#50617 - 02/05/01 11:21 AM Re: semana santa (Andalucía)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
abrand- Congratulations on going to Spain during undoubtedly one of the most interesting, inspiring times. If you're not completely sold on Cordoba and Granada, let me offer a couple of hidden-treasure suggestions:

1) Valladolid has the second largest procession (Sevilla) in the country on Easter weekend. The procession is marked by a float for each station of the cross amongst many others. The crowds are plentiful, but manageable. The ambience is unmistakable, and it seems as if the entire capital is out for the event. Medina del Campo also is renowned for its procession, and is worth a trip.

2) Camuñas, located in the southeastern part of the province of Toledo, has an incredible celebration in association with Corpus Christi. See the following for more information:

Camuñas' celebration: http://www.pecadosydanzantes.com/indice.htm
Corpus history: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04390b.htm

I don't know the exact dates, and I know they're not necessarily the time, but the celebration in Camuñas is WELL worth the trip. It's a small town, and the crowd and auto presented are unforgettable!

Enjoy your trip!

#50618 - 02/05/01 01:57 PM Re: semana santa (Andalucía)
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I was in granada last year for Semana Santa and it was pretty good, but very crowded.

Puerto de Santa Maria, down by Cadiz,is an amazing little city, and the processions there are supposed to be beautiful as well if you are looking for an alternative.

have fun.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments