Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50528 - 12/28/00 10:30 PM what's it like to be gay in madrid?
eight earrings Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY USA
hi everybody!! i hope you are all having a very nice week, and that if you're doing any traveling for New Year's, that you have a safe trip.

i guess i'll preface my post by saying that i identify as a gay woman and that i leave in 12 days for madrid, where i'll be studying for the spring semester (january thru may). i'm wondering if any gay and lesbian or just knowledgeable folk here might be able to offer some insight with regard to gay issues.

here in the states (i live in buffalo) i am basically "out" to the majority of people- all of my classmates, most of my teachers, even my coworkers. all of my friends and some family members know (with the exception of my father). basically i feel very comfortable with my life here. it could always be better acceptance-wise, but i'm definitely making it thru. i feel like i'm well-established or something. anyone who is in my life knows about my girlfriend and the love we share together. it has taken me quite some time to be able to achieve this level of confidence and i am so happy that i have made it this far. i have friends who are still attempting to accept themselves and feel comfortable in these shoes, and i am so grateful that i have been blessed with good friends who have supported me always.

in spain, i will be studying and living in madrid. instead of an apartment or student dorm, i have chosen to live with a family, because i felt i would get a bit more out of the experience that way, being able to participate first-hand in spanish culture instead of watching it from the sidelines somehow. while i am very very excited, at the same time, i am very nervous.

first of all i wonder what the environment is like for queers in spain. if you asked someone what it's like to be gay in buffalo, i'm sure they'd talk about allentown, a specific area within the city that is especially gay-positive. i've read about chueca and i know that it's the gay-positive section of madrid. i've even been to chueca.com (in hopes of finding someone to talk to with regards to the social climate in madrid), but all to no avail. while there are gay-positive places in buffalo, that's not where i live. i'm a suburbian, and the level of acceptance decreases with every step towards suburbia. i'm wondering if that will be the situation in madrid as well.

i have received my housing assignment and i know that my home is near the Metro stop Iglesia, which i guess is near the Trafalgar section of madrid (judging from my little map guide). can anyone tell me anything about the area?

i also wonder how i will broach the subject (or if i should not broach it at all). i have a feeling my senora will ask me if i have a boyfriend or something, because when i first meet people it tends to be an ice-breaking topic or something.

i have spoken with a teacher of mine who warned me about making male friends because they may expect something if they treat me, for example, to dinner or something along those lines. even if i were straight or single i would feel awkward. one can imagine how much more awkward i would feel being happily attached and lesbian. i want to able to make male friends but not have to worry about leading them on somehow. i also want to be able to assert my self-respect without damaging the relationships i am trying to make with my family members and friends.

while i don't have any problem coming out to my american exchange students, i don't know how to feel about coming out to my spanish family and friends. i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that i don't know very many spaniards, and i have no idea what a common reaction would be. my only closer madrilena friend is gay as well. can anyone offer me some advice, if you've been in my shoes?

any reply would be appreciated. i've already been working on the vegetarian aspect, but i haven;t any clue on the queer aspect.

happy (early) new year to everyone here!! i hope you enjoy the wonderful holiday!!

-amy

#50529 - 12/29/00 12:01 PM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,
I don't think you will have problems with most of young people, but maybe old people... My advice is not to say to the señora because that might make her feel uncomfortable, I really don't know. You don't need to have male friends, many Spanish girls go out only with girls. When I was there I usually went to the discos with one or 2 female friends and nobody thought I was lesbian. I would like to tell you that Spain is gay friendly but honestly I don't know if that is true. I guess that you will find people who doesn't care and people who would hate the idea. And anyway you don't have to tell if you don't want to, if the señora ask you if you have a boyfriend say no (which is the truth) and if you don't want to explain why you don't need to.
I hope you have fun!
Nuria

#50530 - 01/03/01 09:18 PM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Hey Eight Earrings,

I wish I could be of more help, but I know that somewhere on this site this question has been raised before. There is a gay/alternative district in Madrid named Chueca, but if I remember correctly, some people hated it, some people thought it "too gay" (whatever that means), and some wouldn't have suggested it to their gay or straight friends.

There is however, a really large alternative scene in Madrid (not as big as Barcelona, but a good size considering) and even a lesbian/gay issues paper. I know this from looking it up in a guidebook to Spain. This one is called: Time Out Madrid Guide.

There is a Centro de la Mujer which operates several lesbian groups. One of its groups meets M-F from 4-8 pm and it is called Colectivo de Feministas Lesbianas de Madrid. Get out!

Now if they just had a group called Colectivo de Feministas Negras de Madrid. Just kidding (thank you, thank you, I'll be here all zee week).

There is also, believe it or not, a lesbian information line at 91 319 16 90,(you'd think being a lesbian is much like being Batman), which gives information on and about everything having to do with the lesbian community in Madrid.

And write down the names of these gay friendly cafes/bars:

Blanco Y Negro, Cruising, Eagle, Cafe Acuarela, Goa After Hours, Heaven, LL Bar,
Cafe Figueroa, Cafe La Troje, La Lupe,
Ciberespacio, Gula Gula Madrid, El Mujito
Sarrasin,La Sastreria, New Leather Bar,
Star's Cafe,XXX Cafe, Priscilla, Refugio,
Rick's, Rommels, Troyans (sounds suspiciously familiar--he,he), Why not?, Strong Center, Tabata, Topxi, Medea, Truco, Escape, Ambient, Urania's, La Rosa, and El Barberillo de Lavapies.

There is a gay/lesbian bookshop: Berkana, and a many gay friendly shops in and around Chueca.

This is all the info I have. I hope this helps and I hope you have a great time and don't worry about telling people or not telling people. People will ask, tell or not tell what you want. But most of all, like everyone keeps wisely saying to me, be yourself.

#50531 - 01/03/01 11:03 PM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
eight earrings Offline

hey sheba, you're fabulous. let me say it again. FABULOUS. thank you very much for the information and for all the places listed... i am now 5 days away and am growing a tiny bit more nervous with each passing day.... thanks for your help.

amy s.

#50532 - 01/04/01 09:06 AM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I think Nuria's advice is very sound no matter what country your in ... sometimes the age of the person you are dealing with as well as their exposure, or lack thereof, to more experiences in life is what determines the attitudes epressed. Go to Spain, enjoy it and don't worry!

#50533 - 01/04/01 01:02 PM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
Bunny Offline

Hi Amy.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing in Madrid! I love to hear of others' experiences.

I don't have much advice on being gay/lesbian in Madrid, but I'm writing about the senora asking you questions. She asked me if I had a boyfriend back home in the USA, since all the others in our house did, and I said no, which was the truth. She then just said, "That's fine, you have plenty of time for that later." And left it alone!

She asked the boys in our house also, and some girls who came to visit once. I think it was just curiosity, because she wasn't trying to give advice or anything.

Then I had other friends who said their senoras were a bit more nosy, like if they stayed out late, they'd wonder where they'd been, etc.

I think the Spanish (at least the ones I met) are a bit more open about telling you what they think and giving "advice" than we are. That was a bit hard for me at first, seeing that I had been living alone for a little while before moving into a group house in Spain.

But you just let it all go in one ear and out of another! (like the lecture i got on bringing too many clothes.)

I guess my point is that most of them don't get too hung up on who you are or aren't dating. And if they ask, it's like them asking why I put so much gel in my hair or eat so little food, etc.

Yes, I did get those exact questions!

Bunny

#50534 - 01/06/01 12:30 AM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
No problem eight earrings. Have a good time and please let us know what you discovered. We could always use good experiences shared with joy and bad ones with zeal. Ahh...I'm so jealous.

#50535 - 01/06/01 01:10 AM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
eight earrings Offline

thanks for the advice, everyone. only 3 days left!! i'm excited!! (and exhausted). i can't fall asleep, because i'm too excited... let's hope i get some rest before i get all that jet lag! hope you are all having a very nice beginning to your weekend.
-amy

#50536 - 01/06/01 10:41 AM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
brianvc Offline

Loc: texas, usa
hey there,

i am sure you will be fine in a massive place like madrid, just like any other large city.
i spent about 3 months in Barcelona, and that certainly was gay friendly, probably one of the gay capitals of the mediterranean.

unfortunately i have never been to madrid, but i am sure it will be mostly the same with the younger people. but spain is a very catholic country, so it won't be like Amsterdam or Stockholm in terms of ease of acceptance.

i am sure you will have a great time there though. in a huge metropolis you can do your own thing and no one cares or notices!!

have fun (I AM JEALOUS!)
brian

#50537 - 01/11/01 09:23 AM Re: what's it like to be gay in madrid?
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
HeLLo all...

While I was living in Madrid and teaching, I met this English bloak who had come from London SPECIFICALLY for the reputation of the gay discos in Madrid. I had not realised this at all until he told me that if you're gay you haven't truly lived until you've gone to (come to) Madrid. Now, I don't know whether this is strictly advise for men or for women as well, but nonetheless, it sounded like he was pretty deep into the "gay" community (whatever that means!). Any how, my advise to you is to be a bit fearless and try meeting people at clubs or discos (Joy Eslava, for one) and then go from there. Good Luck enjoying Madrid!

TRACY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1476 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments