Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50474 - 12/02/00 05:13 PM Americans vs. Spaniards
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I am married to an espanola and have been to Spain twice. The issue that concerns me the most about Spain is a view of Americans that seems to be pervasive within the Spanish culture. I have found many many Spaniards to be Anti-American. In addition, I have found many of these views to be irrational. For example, I have heard many times that Americans are materialistic while all I have seen is Spaniards walking around with La Coste, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hillfiger clothing in Continente, Al Campo, Prica buying and buying. I also saw many many luxury cars and many ads for cars.

#50475 - 12/02/00 06:48 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi toddy,
I think that spaniards have changed our mind a lot about Americans, but we are still getting movies, music and news that show the worst part of Americans. I think the main problem is the image that USA export of itself. It took me to come to live here to see how wrong I was but not many spaniards have the opportunity of coming here and see the wonders of this country. Same case with Spain, the image that we export is "toreros" "San Fermin" "flamenco"... not our business, culture, art... I cannot tell you how many times I have to hear comments about my country that are not true. And I think that that happen with most of the countries.
By the way, where is your wife from? City, I mean.
Besos, Nuria

#50476 - 12/02/00 08:18 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I always felt that a lot of Spaniards had a love/hate relationship with America/ns. I also noticed the use of American products and certain ideas right alongside with overt anti-Amerincan feelings. I have no answer for it, but thought maybe it was just that insecurity about feeling sort of culturally colonized (the French really seem to feel this way). They don't want to like the movies, products but do, and then feel their own culture and ways of doing things threatened.

I noticed that a lot of the Scandinavian contries seemed better able to pick and choose what they like about some of those foreign influences and still remain really comfortable with their own cultures, therefore less hostile (this comes from my experience with Scandinavian friends in Spain in Salamanca and my sister's time living in Norway - so I could be wrong).

Interesting thread

#50477 - 12/02/00 09:06 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Toddy, I think this thread could be found anywhere. You hear "down with America!" in most every country, yet the country is consuming American cultural exports faster than anything.

I think the best approach is patience- be patient in listening to folks explanations of what they think Americans are really like, and be just as patient in explaining that it isn't really what they think- America has as many ups as downs, as many things going for it as it has against it- that it's mostly a matter of perspective.

Being half Brit, half American, I've had to deal with this from both sides of my family for all of my life. When it comes down to it, folks will often admit their beliefs are irrational. But at the same time, you have to understand that folks will continue to hold these irrational beliefs, and that you'll have to just get used to it.

A shame, eh?

#50478 - 12/03/00 09:33 AM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My ladyfriend of 7 years, a woman of (nearly) 40 years old, is from Madrid (most of "the regulars" here about her already) and she too had preconceived notions about how "Americans" were. Most of the time she was wrong about her impressions of us after visiting the USA for the first time. Unfortunately, she was right in many respects as well. She now realizes and loves "Real American" or "Middle America", all the vastness, small towns, and good-hearted people that live outside of the BIG cities of New York and Los Angeles as she had only seen in the movies and TV shows.. AND THEN, when I went to Spain for the first time, nearly everyone was surprised that I was as I am and not like that which they had seen on TV.

Still, now that my ladyfriend has lived in the US (New Mexico) for the last 1.5 years she understands "us" more and realizes that she doesn't like the way of life, but like the people in general. She rolls her eyes when she hears someone saying they have to work on the weekend (overtime) or are so driven with careers and making money or always in a hurry to get home from work in order to sit in front of the TV all night before going to bed. Most of us here could tell hundreds of stories like this.

I agree that there are many in Spain with an anti-America sentiment in their voices, but then they go see and love that new Sylvester Stallone movie or the latest The Simpsons episode. I think there's a BIG difference between being materialistic and stylish. Many Spaniards in the cities (or elsewhere maybe) either can't afford or don't have space enough to store all the things they'd care to accumulate.

The ever-shrinking part of my ethnocentric brain thinks that Spaniards (and other members of the world community) "are just jealous" of our products, availabilitiy of those products, services, wealth, power in the world, and other things. But you know, I think if those Spaniards who actually came to the USA to live for one year they would REALLY appreciate what they have back in Spain.

Many "Americans", including myself, after experiencing some of Spain, learn more about their OWN culture/country as well as about Spain. Comparing and contrasting is always good for the understanding of the world and its peoples. Those who are "throwing stones" or shouting about 'Americans' have probably never been here. And those 'Americans' who are shouting (or talking quietly) negative or stereotypical things about Spain probably have never been there. It's like this all over the world with all countries.

Experiences & Understanding minimizes fear.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50479 - 12/03/00 08:21 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. You have provided me with invaluable insight to a very sensitive issue. As my wife, who is from Burgos, and our daughter who was born here, my only intention is to facilitate a more positive and closer relationship between the United States and Spain. I think we have a shared history and all I yearn for is to share a very iluminado future!

[This message has been edited by toddy (edited 12-03-2000).]

#50480 - 12/03/00 08:28 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
toddy writes, "my only intention is to facilitate a more positive and closer relationship between the United States and Spain."

What do you think I'm trying to do with MadridMan.com ?? hehehee.. Simple enlightenment & enjoyment, my friend!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50481 - 12/04/00 04:34 PM Re: Americans vs. Spaniards
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
MM-

I'm sure that your ladyfriend's preconceived notions of the US were all swept under the rug the day you swept her off her feet...

je je je

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments