Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50466 - 11/22/00 01:30 PM 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Today is the day. 25 years ago today Spain became a monarchy under Juan Carlos I.

You can read LOTS of things online in the Spanish newspapers, particularly in El País, " Un Rey Para Una Democracia ", and also see what has happened in Spain, a timeline, these past 25 years in Guía del Ocio .

Any other tips on where to find info on the internet about the celebrations??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50467 - 11/22/00 06:31 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Not surprising that ETA made its presence felt today.

#50468 - 11/22/00 06:54 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Madridman,

You can read more about the subject at the Spanish teletext (TVE) (page 700). Note that this information will be removed in a few days / weeks.

Try also this report from El Mundo .

By the way, I found the link above at my favourite portal when it comes to news: TELEPOLIS . Every morning they gather all the headlines of the Spanish newspapers and they classify them on different subjects (National, International, Culture, Economy, Internet...). You can even receive those headlines at your e-mail everyday for free!!.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#50469 - 11/22/00 08:05 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
http://ya.com has a pretty nice story about this too...

[also, a little off topic, the p#$a ETA is at it again (as usual i suppose) with the murder of Ernest Lluch... ¡estoy hartisimo
with the p#*ta ETA! please excuse the reference to such bad language, MM...]

#50470 - 11/25/00 10:18 AM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I was living in Madrid in 1970s. While Spain was deciding on whether to reinstate the monarchy and everyone was making up their minds how to vote, Juan Carlos presented the peculiar spectacle of--in effect--running for king--an offce he would assume only if the people voted to have one.

I watched the round-the-clock TV coverage of block-long lines waiting to file past Franco's casket, some to raise their arms in a final Fascist salute while exclaiming Arriba Espana!

Looking at the web sites of the Spanish newspapers with pictures of that year's events, one might gain the impression that Madrid was in turmoil. But it was not. Most incidents of civil disturbance were fairly isolated and quickly contained by police. In Ventas, where I lived, it was business as usual--with little to suggest this major transition for Spain was underway.

It's a credit to the Spaniards that the transition was effected as peacefully as it was. I suspect, however, that memories of the Civil War were still strong enough in the minds of enough of the citizens that they were fearful of repeating anything like it.
Cantabene

#50471 - 11/27/00 03:19 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I just have one thing to say about the King and his family, I absoluty love all of them! Many people think they don't do a thing but they are the best public relation and they are just lovely!

#50472 - 11/27/00 04:46 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Nuria, Agree with you 1000% !!!

#50473 - 11/27/00 07:31 PM Re: 25 Years Of Monarchy in Spain
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I think that Juan Carlos and the government has done so much for modern Spain.

I dont' want to brag or anything, but I actually got the opportunity to meet the King 8 years ago. I was with a large group of American students and he was wonderful to us all. He was humorous and even took a few photos with us.
I hope Spain can enjoy more prosperity in the coming years.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments