Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50426 - 11/20/00 12:31 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
After reading most of the messages describing what they like about Spain, I am counting the days I will be visiting Spain. I have made copies all messages from the board that will guide me when I am in Spain. Although my daughter has been in Spain since July, I am making my own plans of places I would like to do and see. I am 50 years old and my personal guide is 20 years old. I hope I will have enjoy Spain.

Happy Thanksgiving to all wonderful members of this forum.

#50427 - 11/20/00 01:24 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Nicholeye--losing weight in Spain, assuming you have arrived there from the USA, may in part be a result of the difference in hours. Arriving in Spain with its advance in time, one is always too early for meals, and not always hungry at mealtimes, at least at first.

Too, the necessity of being always on the move, or of not have a fridge to raid could be additional factors.

This small theory of mine has gained some credibility upon observing that when returning westward to the USA one is always too late for meals--always hungry, eats too much when mealtime finally arrives, and puts the weight right back on. Could be?
Cantabene

#50428 - 11/20/00 01:43 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I guess I am the odd man out here. I lost wait the first few weeks, all that walking, but then by the end of the year had put on at least 10-15 pounds (all of us girls gained some weight, actually). I drank a lot more than I usually do, and regularly ate bread and pasteles from the pastelerias.

When I travel, I always lose a few pounds due to the constant moving, and precocupation with SEEING stuff. Also, budget travel means not having a lot of extra cash for snacking...

#50429 - 11/27/00 08:21 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Now that I am marinating in nostalgia, I may as well share...

What I loved best about Spain

*Opening my window for a breazy afternoon siesta and listening to my neighbors chattering and cooking

*Sipping a vino tinto in the Plaza Mayor in Salamanca while the sun sets and the lights come up

*Watching dignified older couples walking arm in arm during the afternoon paseo

*Feeling the history of a place from the cobblestones under your feet to the top of the cathedrals.

*Seeing Barcelona for the first time

*Walking in Santiago de Compostela and hearing bagpipes.

*The deliciously cool, shaded streets in Sevilla and Cordoba.

*San Sebastian on a misty and rainy afternoon.

*Driving along and seeing a chunky old castle in the middle of nowhere, inviting that childlike desire to run around and climb in it, playing house.

*Starting an impromptu soccer match by the puente romano with the neighborhood boys(and occassionally, grazing sheep) - then seeing the shock on their faces when when one of my girl friends outplays them.

*The church in Leon that was playing Gregorian chants when my Mom and I went in, and had the most beautiful stained glass windows.

*The way the trees branches grow right into eachother in Burgos, as if they are holding hands.

*Dancing and laughing with my frineds and roomates until we closed the discos down.

*Feeling safe walking home in the quiet streets at five in the morning.

#50430 - 11/27/00 11:38 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Jaime Offline

-Cafe con leche!!! I can't find anything like it here
-bottled cokes with lemon
-getting lost on winding streets and not caring
-dancing in the disco with my brother until my feet bled
-sitting in the Plaza Mayor cafes while drinking a good bottle of rioja and eating bocodillos
-stting in a park for hours and doing nothing
-looking at ancient buildings and feeling smaller for it
-people watching on the street

#50431 - 11/28/00 06:19 AM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
nevado Offline

What I love: TINTO DE VERANO!!!!!!!

Hate: My neighbors banging on the wall everytime I have a "gathering"

#50432 - 11/28/00 05:16 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
what i like:

the nice blind men who sell loto tickets along every street...

the serious, happy, stern, sad, and laughing faces of the spanish...

dislikes:

hmmmmmmmmmmm....

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 11-28-2000).]

#50433 - 12/17/00 11:42 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Now that I am bathing in my tears from all the wonderful memories this list brings, here goes:

-the Plaza Mayor in Salamanca, any time of day. but especially in the early morning walking home from the discotecas when the cleaning men are out and washing the cobblestones
-arroz a la cubana,lentejas, and membrillo
-fanta naranja
-watching the little spanish children who are so incredibly well-dressed run around the Plaza Mayor right before comida.
-the beach in San Sebastian
-the way the entire city goes crazy when Real Madrid wins
-chupiterías
-Leonardo's (Salamanca), the best late-night food spot in the world
-Las Ramblas in Barcelona
-dos besos
-cuarenta y tres
-vale, venga, hasta luego
-chocolate con nata muy espeso
-cheap, fabulous clothes from Zara
-Telepizza
-Corazon de invierno
-Gran Hermano (was anyone else there for that phenomenon?)

Oh and by the way, Nicole, maybe it is the Salamanca air that makes us gain weight not lose it like everyone else -- I gained at least 20 due to chupitos, bocadillos de jamon y queso, helado, and chocolate con nata.

#50434 - 04/15/02 10:59 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hey MM, I know this is an old thread, but since I found this accidently(was searching for something else), I decided to read it, and wanted to bring it back to the home front, since it brought tears to my eyes, and homesickness to my soul. And it's good to know that others feel the same for Spain as I do, and it also makes me feel that it was not just my imagination running wild inside me, so it makes me more sure of my choice to move there(like I really had any doubt doing it eek Never!).I just miss so much the food, the music, the energy of the land, the smell, and of course, the number 1 reason, My Spaniard, who appreciates everything his Country has to offer and wanting to share it all with me....sigh....just wish I was there now... frown ...but like I always say, anything worth having is never easy, but with patience and when the time is right, it will fall so beautifully into place and its appreciated so much more....
smile

#50435 - 04/16/02 01:38 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
LittleWing,

I saw what you wrote and It was Beautiful...brought tears to my eyes...although I have not been to Spain..yet!But reading all of the posts, being on this board, talking with the wonderful and fun people here, has made me more and more excited, and yes, even, privileged to be going to Spain...to be given the chance to experience it firsthand.

I hope to share in all of the wonderful emotions and memories everyone has so graciously shared with the rest of us who have yet to taste Spain.

Thanks,
Wyndyl

I leave for Madrid in 11 days! laugh

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1844 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments