MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#50396 - 11/16/00 09:21 AM What I like and dislike about Spain
coxinga Offline

Loc: East Brunswick, New Jersey, US...
What I like about Spain:

1. Chocolate con Churro at any local café in the morning or anytime I can get it.
2. Sampling pastries in any of a number of pasterias just blocks away in the neighborhood like a child in a candy store.
3. Clementinas
4. Cafe solo
5. Cafe con leche
6. The Paradores
7. Sagrada familia
8. Cochinillo at the Duque in Segovia (I know it's overrated and expensive compared to other Spanish restaurants. But it's no more expensive than a regular run of the mill one in the US. But for a suckling pig? No way!)
9. Fighting for the cook's attention and fending off other customers to get my bocadillo de caramares near the small shop at Plaza Mayor in Madrid.
10. Acueducto(Segovia)
11. Catedral(Segovia)
12. Acazar(Segovia)
13. Jamons and tapas in museo del jamon and other bars.
14. For the price of McDonald's in the US, I can enjoy a full course menu dias in a variety of restaurants in downtown Madrid, complete with appetizer, entree, dessert and vino de casa.
15. Same deal in any country inn.
16. Enjoying free concert performances by the Ecuadorian musical groups near Puerta del Sol in Madrid and Plaza de Catalunya in Barcelona
17. Knowing the pickpockets only got my notebook instead of my wallet. After coolly telling them what they got has no value whatsoever to them, they timidly returned it to me.
18. An ice cold Estrella cervesa
19. Conos (soft ice cream cones) at McDonald's for 50 pesetas (about 25 cents). My son and daughter's favorite. They seem to want to get one whereever we come across a McDonald's.
20. Roasted castanas on the side walk.
21. Ribeira do Miño (a seafood restuarant on Calle de Santa Bridiga in Madrid) for a seafood festival of shrimps, crabs, barnacles (Yes. barnacles) and its very special Ribeira white, which comes in bottle without labels. Plus the Galician drink, Queimada Gallega, which comes in a flaming pot. And get this, all for less than $10 per person. (Thank you, Antonio, for sending us to this place near Hostal Chelo. I know crabs and barnacles are not for everyone. For seafood lovers, you have to go to this restuarant.)

I could go on and on...and this is only after one week in Spain in three cities, Barcelona, Segovia and Madrid.

Is there a reason to not like Spain?

1. I need some advise how to shed 7 pounds of weight gain in just one week in Spain. Or should I abandon my wardrobe?
2. My sneakers still has some residual dog waste left on the sidewalks in the streets of Barcelona and Madrid by the owners who never seem to pick up after their best friend.

coxinga

[Added a link to the Ribeira do Miño restaurant. Please, tell them where you found out about the restaurant]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 11-16-2000).]

#50397 - 11/16/00 12:29 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Loved your post - and don't worry about gaining weight - as long as you walk everywhere and whenever possible - the extra pounds don't seem to appear. Perhaps it has something to do with a change in sleep patterns - but I actually loose weight in Spain - and, believe me, I eat!

I was really surprised by your comment on "residual dog waste" - what a proper and discreet way to phrase it -in Madrid. I am always amazed at the frequency and competency of the street cleaners - early mornings - siesta time - and then again late afternoon/early evenings. Have things changed that much in the past 10 months?

You are right about the number of pets - and all of them seem to be well behaved - did you notice how many are not on leashes and do stay with their owners?

#50398 - 11/16/00 12:33 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
you know the opposite happened to me when i was there for a month, i lost 10 pounds, it must have been all the dancing and walking i did. Also my diet completely changed when i was there, cause i eat differently here in Los Angeles so i am sure that contributes alot to weight loss or gain.

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#50399 - 11/16/00 12:54 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks for your Pros & Cons posting, coxinga! I agree with nearly all of your pros. And like you Puna and missmadrid98, I too usually LOSE weight when in Spain and I must eat at least TWICE as much there than here in the USA. But, as you've said, all that walking, climbing of stairs, STANDING while eating lunch or drinking drinks, ALWAYS on the move will burn fat/calories like crazy! And, try lugging around a 35 pound video camera bag all day too! Now, unfortunately, I'm back to my usual routine of eating light portions, sitting in front of the computer all day and night, and getting little exercise.

Glad you had a wonderful, belt-loosening time in Spain! Now, to make it all complete, the next time you'll have to add an española to your arm. Wah Wah Wah! (said Chachi to Fonzie)

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 11-16-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50400 - 11/16/00 01:47 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
man o man...

i miss all the walking and standing and "work" that it requires to get around all day in madrid...

like you, MM, i too sit on me a$$ in front of computers all day and then go home and do the same... lighter meals and portions are the key... but i just can't cut a caña or two of beer y un vaso de vino cada dia...

what i like about spain:
most things (suppose i could be more descriptive...?)

what i dislike about spain:
smog in madrid (like here in LA)

#50401 - 11/16/00 02:08 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Love this thread!
May I add to the list? No need to ask because I'm doing it anyway!
I agree with everything above, plus:
granizado de límon on a hot summer day.
All the flavors of helado at Palazo on Gran Vía.
Café con leche anywhere
fresh zumo, too.
One can go on and on...did I mention café con leche?

#50402 - 11/16/00 02:09 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I eat about 1000 calories more per day in spain than in the U.S> and only gain a few pounds, which i do not regret. I try to take it easy at cena time, concentrating most of my calories in the day! What I like about Madrid (Galicia is another book!): the excitement of people out, everywhere, always; the concentration of amazing places to see within walking distance; the food and drink, anywhere, most everywhere; the fast, efficient metro; newspapers, cafe, and hours to enjoy! What I don't like: on a hot summer day, being in a neighborhood where you don't know a place to eat and walking and walking and being tired!; the touristy places that rip you off, or try; realizing that your short walk back to the hotel is really a half hour, after your meal, and you are tired and a little drunk (!); staying up til 3, too much wine, and having to get up at 8 for that morning flight!!!

#50403 - 11/16/00 02:46 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
I love the breeze from the Guadarrama mountains.

I love the sound of my churchbell in El Escorial ringing every hour.

I love to stand in front of the Monastery in El Escorial in the middle of the night with the moon shining behind it hearing nothing but the breeze.

I love to have cafe con leche at an outdoor cafe.

I love to watch little kids play soccer.

I love to hear the Spaniards yell at each other while they are driving

I love to sit around in chairs in a bar in sevilla and clap my hands and sing sevillanas over and over again.

I love the fact you can smoke in the bank and the guy giving you your money is smoking too.

I love all the passion and life Spain has to offer. I'm coming home baby, i'm coming home!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

[This message has been edited by missmadrid98 (edited 11-16-2000).]

#50404 - 11/16/00 04:07 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh man. I just got all choked up

#50405 - 11/16/00 04:19 PM Re: What I like and dislike about Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Things I love about Spain, part 2: flying over the meseta and landing under that clear blue sky in Barajas; watching a hotly contested soccer match at the local bar; no drinking age (for all practical purposes), says my son!!; the fact that people do NOT smile at you all the time (SMILE! say the gringos); Spanish women's style; going back to a bar or restaurant 2 times and being treated as a regular; the enthusiasm of people for their towns. Ah, Spain! good thing i am going in less than 2 months...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1636 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments