MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#50390 - 11/16/00 06:57 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
ditto. I have been to Peru a couple of times and never needed any shots, although the hepatitus one is a really good idea, just in general. Actually, a couple of years ago, they wouldn't give my sister a tranfusion because possibility of Hep. in Wisconsin, she was so sick it could have killed her. And, a friend of ours got hepatitus in Spain from Paella, they think.

I did eat fruits and vegetables while in Peru, but usually only things where you could peel off the outer layer, after washing it (I bought some delicious stuff in Aguas Calientes - the biggest avacados I have ever seen in my life - as big as my head!!). I would not recommend salads in restaurants. You have to be a little more careful with things that grow in the ground. I only ate salads at home, when I had soaked the lettuce in a big pot of water and a capfull of bleach.

If you head up to Cusco, take it a little slowly. I wouldn't suggest any alchohol at least the first night, because the altitude can make you really nauseous. My boyfriend was fine, but I got really light-headed and nauseous if I tried to walk uphill too fast the first few days.

#50391 - 11/16/00 09:05 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
you're exactly right nicole. anything with a hard peelable skin should be fairly safe. as you said though, due take care with things grown in the ground.

#50392 - 11/17/00 05:47 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Watch out for those pickled boqerones they give you as a tapa. I used to get the trots every time I went to Spain until I identified them as the cause. I haven't eaten them since (a long long time ago) and have never again had a problem.
Cantabene

#50393 - 11/17/00 07:04 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Wierd about the pickled boquerones, because they come from a container; the vinagre/oil is a classic ANTI-bacteria, etc. Maybe it's just you! I eat them by the tons and no trots. Churros con chocolate the first few days, tho, are, well, let us say, a relaxant.

#50394 - 11/18/00 09:04 AM Re: Shots, Immunizations
sevilla Offline

It is funny, when you go to Spain you don't need shots but when you come to live to USA you need like 9. I asked to my doctor if Americans are afraid of catching something from me and he said, no, it is for your own protection, you never know what you can find there... I guess he was joking.

#50395 - 11/18/00 01:45 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
rgf:
Someone offered to me the explanation that the problem may arise when the boquerones are permitted to become contaminated or stale before being pickled.
Cantabene

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2576 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments