Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50271 - 09/19/00 06:24 AM Update on white socks, etc.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
On my trip to Spain last week, we saw some unexpected things:

In Sevilla, at Mass at La Magdalena, we saw several (Spanish) men wearing shorts at Mass and even women with sleeveless dresses. The temperatures in Andalucia were in the 100's and Shorts were very common wear.

When we got back to Madrid, our host had on 'cargo' shorts. We wore shorts to dinner at El Pato Mudo, at the Tryp Diana in Barajas.
I told Carlos that if they said anything I would show my US Passport and claim Tourist dispensation.

In reply to my question, our host's very fashionable daughter (PhD Speech Therapist) said that white socks were now acceptable with 'Mocasines' or 'Plataformas.' It's the Michael Jackson look: tight fitting slacks to just above the ankles and white or grey (or gold - like Michael Jackson) socks.

#50272 - 09/21/00 07:29 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
WDJunior Offline

Hi Eddie!
Big, big WRONG here! White socks with mocasines are not acceptable in Spain and deffinitely not "trendy" right now.
There have always been some guys who thought they should wear white socks with mocasines, but you sure can´t say they were THE HIPPEST DUDES in town
I guess your "hosts very fashionable daughter" was probably just kidding...
One thing I know is that I´m not going to wear golden socks and mocasines when I get to Madrid next month
Saludos

#50273 - 09/21/00 11:19 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
No, Carolina wasn't kidding when (referring to the white socks thing) she said: Eso ya ha pasado. I'm not saying that white socks are 'trendy;' I am repeating what was told to me by a family member when I asked about the subject. I am referring to Madrid last week: Domingo, 10 septiembre 2000, not last year or six months ago.

Wear whatever you like when you go to Madrid next month; but look around - I did so at Barajas airport Sunday, 17 Sep and Monday, 18 Sep and saw quite a few young people with the Michael Jackson 'high water' slacks and light colored socks.

#50274 - 09/21/00 06:11 PM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
I haven't heard anything about that "Michael Jackson's look". White socks aren't trendy, I'd wear them only with sneakers when playing sports and wear mocasines only with dark socks (black if possible). I agree with WDJunior, it must be a joke. BTW, Michael Jackson is also quite "out" at this moment.

#50275 - 09/22/00 01:36 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
WDJunior Offline

Dear Eddie!
Maybe the people you saw at Barajas on september 17/18th were on their way to a "Jacko" lookalike competition or some sort of "Michael Jackson Revival Party"
Un saludo (con calcetines negros)

#50276 - 09/24/00 09:33 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
It is true, I am here in Spain right now. I can spot my fellow North Americans with ease. I just look at their feet. I have seen a few exceptions to this rule of no white socks and sneakers, but very few. Trust me, there are countless numbers of great shoe stores here in Madrid to expand your footware selections. Leave your Nikes at home!

#50277 - 09/24/00 11:23 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I won't even attempt touring Madrid onfoot for hours and hours in anything other than tennis shoes REGARDLESS of how they look. BUT, at least I won't wear my Nikes or other popular USA brand of sneakers. I'm wearing my worn and non-flashy Addidas shoes, also popular in Europe with the soccer/fútbol crowd. NOT that my brown hair, video camera, and 35mm camera WON'T give me away as a tourist. hehehe..

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50278 - 10/03/00 07:11 PM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I agree with Shawn. If you are sick of the "American stereotype" that spaniards have then please do a favor and leave your tennis shoes at home. Spaniards have not let their common fashion sense degenerate like us yankees and many don't appreciate it either. Of course they will never tell you that.

Leche

#50279 - 10/04/00 10:13 AM Re: Update on white socks, etc.
brianvc Offline

Loc: texas, usa
i know americans are known for looking really casual. i was recently living in slovenia, by the italian border (trieste). and a slovenian girl was asking me why americans are so casual.

you see, slovenians often think they must emulate italians to be western.

i told her americans who show up in trieste are on vacation for one thing. the other thing is americans dont culturally (generally speaking) need to show wealth and status as much as europeans. this is probably most true with the middle classes. but americans dress down on vacation.

as far as spain goes, why does ever guy under 25 feel some cultural *need* to wear a tracksuit? and why do they wear those awful pants with the huge pockets on the legs? are these "cargo" pants?

the answer is different people wear different things at different times in different places.

but on a side note, i personally would never wear blue jeans with tennis shoes! :0
hahah, guess its just me.

brian

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments