Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
Topic Options
#50084 - 08/20/00 03:11 AM Black in Spain
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
I have yet to visit Spain or any European country for that matter, but I am eager to start next summer on my first trip (study abroad). I am especially excited about my trip to Madrid after reading all of your recent topics.

One thing I hadn't noticed, and which I am not surprised at, is the lack of information about black people traveling in Spain. (I live in Minnesota so not dealing with a lack of information about black people is normal, trust me).

I wonder how black people are perceived in Madrid. Are they considered, as in most places, "part of the social problems"?

Will I also have to contend with "special treatment" as well when I travel there?

I bring this up because I remember reading somewhere that many European cities regard black foreigners as potential criminals and prostitutes and that they are often prone to frequent ID stops (what we call LWB out here [living while black].

This is something that I worry about first when thinking of my trip abroad because I cannot unpack my color or "blend in" in any way.

I worry about it because as many of you know, in this country, let alone in other countries, people "disappear" or are seriously injured for being the wrong color.

But most of all I worry about it because I know that as a thirty year old woman who has grown up around subtle and not so subtle racism all my life, it would kill my soul to finally be in a place I have dreamed of being in and to have something happen based on the color of my skin. I think it has been one of the reasons why I have been so hesistant to travel all my life.

Right now I am reading James Baldwin to gather strength for this new part of my life. Still I wonder if I am just blowing this all out of proportion.

What have any of you noticed about this issue in your travels through Spain?

[Sheba, I have taken out the borders in your cut-and-pasted posting to save space]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-20-2000).]

#50085 - 08/20/00 03:54 AM Re: Black in Spain
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
I just returned from studying in Spain, and I was with a very diverse group of people. Many of my classmates were Asian, Indian, and Black, and Spaniards definitely noticed the difference, but not necessarily in a derogatory way. Spanish men tend to stare openly anyway, I think that is just a cultural difference, but my friends said that they felt like they were being stared at a lot. None of them ever felt in danger or discriminated against, as far as I know, but they did feel like Spaniards noticed the difference.

You will have a wonderful experience abroad, I am so jealous and I wish I was going with you!

#50086 - 08/20/00 08:37 AM Re: Black in Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I am a professor of Latin American literature, with a specialization in Afro-Hispanic lit. I travel to Spain lots, on my own, and with students. In Spain, you will see some Africans, especially from Guinea Ecuatorial where Spanish is spoken. You'll also see some afro-cubanos and dominicanos, though not a lot. UNLIKE France, Spain does not have a massive cultural bias against blacks under the preceptions you mentioned. But, as the previous post says, Spanish people love to STARE at everyone, especially anyone 'different' (which can mean different from the person staring: blond, black, short dress, head covered: whatever!!). So you should NOT think the staring is because you are Black. My African-American students have reported NO problems at all owing to race. Young women alone get approached by men, but Spanish men go away if you ignore them. And it isn't massively pervasive. As you also know, Spain has a major cultural influence from the moros (Moors) who dominated the southern half of Ibe

#50087 - 08/20/00 08:58 AM Re: Black in Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

(ran outta room there!) Iberian peninsula from 711-1492. Please tell us how your trip was after you go, and ask any questions this group might know before you go. rgf

#50088 - 08/20/00 11:49 AM Re: Black in Spain
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Only in 1992 did I see one anti black message sprayed on a wall in Madrid. I have seen HUNDREDS of anti American messages, some the size of billboards.

Sometimes the billboard size messages have a signature, for example Partido Comunista.

One anti black and hundreds of anti American... I guess the term "Spanish red neck" covers them both. (joke here)

Are you reading Richard Wright's book PAGAN SPAIN? He profoundly reflects on his blackness while giving a beautiful tour of Spain. His story is told in 1950's Spain. The book is currently published by HarperPerennial.

Black or white, I think you are safer in Spain than on the city streets of our country. Of course, always be on guard and hold on to your money. Thievery is big there. Stay with a group or a friend until you decide how you feel.

In 1992 my aunt in I spent the day traveling with three black women from the USA. We met them at our hotel. The color issue never came up in our conversation and we had a delightful day sightseeing and dining together.

I would bet that you have a good experience and that you don't perceive an anti skin color bias.

Buena suerte, hermana.

#50089 - 08/20/00 02:43 PM Re: Black in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sheba, everyone here brings up some very interesting remarks like rgf's "Spanish men openly stare at everyone out of the ordinary" and this is oh-so-true. You may even perceive a kind of scowl on their faces, but don't take it as being derogatory, but just their way. I'm SURE they look at their wives in the same way at times.

And Sofia! YES! You beat me to it!! I too was going to suggest Richard Wright's book Pagan Spain ( CLICK HERE for book cover image ). I finished this book last year and found it fantastic to see 1950s Spain through his eyes, being a black man from the US (but was at that time living in Paris). I just looked up the book at Amazon.com and found it was out-of-print, but I'm sure you, being a bookstore manager, can find it either in YOUR store, your local library, or at the used book (Half-Price Book) shop in your area like where I found mine.

And don't think there are no blacks in Spain! There are MANY! In fact, many Africans emigrate (both legally and illegally) to Spain everyday! Most of them stay in the south, but some move northward. However, the distinguishing feature between you and that of an African would be your clothing, I'm sure. Someone told me (or maybe I read it in Richard Wright's book) that they were noticed in Spain not because they were black, but because they were "American" and perceived as a tourist (for the language, clothing, etcetera).

So relax! Enjoy Spain and all its riches!!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-20-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50090 - 08/21/00 11:10 AM Re: Black in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Sheba, many people said this already but it is very true that people will stare at you and even if you stare at them they won't stop. Honestly I didn't know any black person when I was living there but it is not because we are racist is because there is not many. Black people are okay and you will be okay there. And PLEASE don't feel bad if they stare at you, it is just our way.
Have fun!
Nuria

#50091 - 08/22/00 01:50 PM Re: Black in Spain
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Perhaps Nuria and Antonio might have some insight into this issue of Spaniards and their staring at people. This may be way off base, but it is just a theory-
Do you think that, perhaps, many Spaniards stare at people who may be just a tad different from the masses b/c Spain was isolated under Franco for so long? Just an idea. It really is amazing though- all the stares if someone may be speaking differently, wearing something "different" or if they are tall or fat. Anyone willing to dig into the Spanish psyche for this one? I, myself, have been wondering about this for many years.
Jen

#50092 - 08/22/00 03:01 PM Re: Black in Spain
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Here's my theory. North Americans have a puritanical basis for everything, so they are acculturated NOT to stare (even though they'll ask you the nosiest questions... go figger!). Meditteranean types (italianos, etc) are more open about staring because the body isn't considered to-be-hidden, to be ashamed of. Just a theory. Nothing to do w/ Franquismo, that's for sure!

#50093 - 08/22/00 03:31 PM Re: Black in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I remember when I was a little girl and my mother said : "It is very rude to stare at people" So I thought, why?, everybody do it. We are curious, we like new things and different things and we like to see what is in front of us. Here people look to other place if I look at them or if they are looking at me and I look at them they go away. I don't look at anybody here and nobody look at me, it feels weird, like I don't exist but sometimes it is better if nobody notice you.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments