Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50069 - 08/15/00 11:39 AM Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I need to get everyone's opinion on this one. I have the opportunity to take about a week off and visit Madrid in late December. It would involve leaving around the 27th and returning around the 5th of January.
Here is my question. Is this time of the year a good time to be in Madrid?
I've never been to Spain that late in the year and was wanting to hear suggestions and thoughts. What will the weather be like? What would be some good things to do in Madrid in the winter?
I've also heard there is a huge celebration in Puerta del Sol during New Year's Eve. Has anyone been there?
Is the city extremely crowded then? Any suggesstions on places to stay?

Thanks for your help.

#50070 - 08/15/00 01:14 PM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Cold, cold, cold! Take the week off, but go to Malaga instead! See you there!

!Viva el Sur!

#50071 - 08/15/00 05:21 PM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I second el Boqueron's suggestion. Madrid is quite cold and damp then, and the chance of fog is high. Flights arriving in and leaving from Barajas airport get all messed up by the fog and airport closings around that time. (For some strange reason the fog hangs around longer west of the city. It can be sunny and beautiful in the city, and the airport will have dense fog!)

You would be there in the middle of Navidades, which is over after Epiphany, January 6. Christmas is celebrated for 2 full weeks, from Dec. 24 to Jan. 6. Lots of people take off a few days then, and there are lots of family get-togethers. They also spend time buying presents to give on the night of the 5th, and shopping areas are packed. It also gets dark very early. You could visit the big Christmas market in the Plaza Mayor, and maybe catch a concert or play, and of course the museums are always there. It's kind of a wierd time in Madrid. You won't see any outdoor cafés, and people hurry when outside to get out of the cold.

New Year's Eve in the Puerta del Sol is something like Times Square in New York, but smaller. A lighted ball comes down at midnight. I haven't been (I hate crowds - I watch it on TV), but a bunch of my relatives, of all ages, went the year I was married ( I was married on the 29th of Dec. and they stuck around for a few days), and they really enjoyed it.

Still, as much as I love Madrid, I'd go south!

#50072 - 08/15/00 09:05 PM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
unless you can get a direct flight to the south, you kinda have to go thru madrid anyway. Stay a few nights and then grab the AVE to Sevilla or hop back on a plane. I was in Madrid around Jan 12th and loved it-- sun, cold, but so MADRID at that time of year! rgf

#50073 - 08/16/00 12:44 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
As a person who feels stuck here in the states, Spain at ANY time of the year sounds wonderful to me. Having lived there for many years, I experienced Spain in all of it's seasons. Christmas is a wonderful time in Spain because they are a largely Catholic country, and they enjoy the Christmas holidays to the fullest! The fog hangs around the airport because there are a lot of fields surrounding the airport, and it is slightly lower ground. But I've been delayed far more often in Atlanta than Madrid either leaving or arrriving. I say go! Enjoy the grapes!

#50074 - 08/16/00 10:51 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
replay Offline

Loc: Madrid
Good chance for enjoying an authentic Christmas week, Madrid in Christmas is really special, the downtown is ever plenty of people enjoying with the ambient, the music, the typical Christmas market of "la Plaza Mayor", where you can see a lot of stands offering "belenes", christmas trees, jokes and curiosities.

About "belenes", "belén" is a representation of the village where Jesus born, and you will can see spectacular belenes in many places, go to the Palacio Real and see the oldest one, don´t miss the Zoologico de la Casa de Campo, it also has a beautiful and big "belén", by the way, Plaza Mayor has another one.

Sometimes Madrid surprises us with a fashion white day, if you see a good snowfall, visit Retiro Park, it´s cool (and cold) !!!

About the snow: if you like a snowy day, go to the mountains, in only one hour of train you will arrive in a beautiful village called Cercedilla, using the same local trains go to C9 line and get up to Navacerrada resort, try to ski in easy skiways or look the cool views (be careful, in the tops the temperature are ever under 0º).

More...yes, all the typical things of Madrid are there, visit museums, markets, streets, monuments and parks...

And don´t forget to enjoy the midnight bells at 31th of December, eat 12 grapes in the moment you hear the first bell, this in La Puerta del Sol.

If you like more information, you can ask it to me...about the weather, normally cold or too cold, depending of your procedence, sometimes snows (but not ever) and the humidity is high, probably you will see fog (or you will see nothing)

Bye!!

#50075 - 08/16/00 11:03 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
muy bien dicho, rubia...!

i think that madrid is great at that time of year... it gets very cold at night (like freezing for several hours) and then can warm up to as high as 60 or 70F (como mucho) during the day, depending on what air currents are like... but in general madrid is cool and clammy in the winter... you might even see some snow!

but i don't mind this at night, it force you to bundle up and wear heavy jackets and sweaters, gloves, hat, and maybe a scarf... no doubt where you stay will have a radiator (or look for calefaccion central), and so you just enjoy it best you can. this is why you buy roasted castañas from the street vendors, and why you drink warmed up wine or coffee or tea.

what's more, "cristmas" time is very nice around madrid... noche vieja at puerta del sol is like being in the times square of new york (well, sort of.. i never been..) and you can eat the twelve grapes for the twelve gongs of the bell, but hurry because you only have one minute to stuff down 12 grapes!

and the parade of the three kings... it's really nice, and there is a big crowd of people at parque del retiro... great bar hopping and museums nearby... a caña of Mahou or sidra to warm you up... or a pull from a porron of wine and soda... or make a chorizo sandwich before walking out to the street and just walk along eating it... i love madrid in the winter!!

go to madrid this winter!! it's very unique!! now i'm crying because i miss it so...

madrid, seis meses de invierno, seis meses de infierno.

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 08-16-2000).]

#50076 - 08/16/00 11:13 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT POSTINGS/IDEAS, replay and real_megia! This is some insightful stuff. Thanks!

replay had on his webisite photos of Christmastime in Madrid last year (or was it the year before?). Replay, if you still have those photos can you provide links to those images? They're really nice of Gran Vía and Calle de Preciados.

Another website that has lots of photos of noche vieja (New Year's Eve) for Madrid is Steven Erat's Madrid: New Year's Eve <entering> 1999 & other Madrid photos for that trip of his.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50077 - 08/16/00 11:19 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
Sean Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
I was in Madrid December 30th to January 12th 1999. It was very cold, but what I did enjoy was the celebration in Puerta del Sol. It was New Years Eve 1999 and it was great. The celebration is pretty cool. I spent part of the evening at a friend’s apartment only a couple blocks from Puerta del Sol then we went out later. My friends were actually all from Ecuador, so we incorporated their traditions, along with the Spanish and my own American traditions on New Years Eve. It was a great experience.

Although it was very cold during my visit, I enjoyed walking through the streets without all the tourists. We went to the Palicio Real and checked out the nativity scene inside. I really didn’t do much of the touristy stuff, just enjoyed being with my girlfriend and her classmates. I took day trips to Toledo, and Avila, and except for the local day trippers, we had the towns to ourselves.

I personally would recommend Madrid anytime. If you can handle the cold weather, it’s a great time to be there, even an Irish guy like myself can fit in with the locals.

……I did escape the cold some and spent some time in the South as well, although it wasn’t all that warm there either, though you could lose the jacket.

#50078 - 08/17/00 01:02 AM Re: Spain in Late December - Suggestions?
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Oh real_megia! Reading your post made me sad and happy at the same time. I forgot about chestnuts from street vendors, and warm cider! Not to mention a few shots of Silver Bullet to warm the.... heart!
I was sick one holiday season ,and experienced the healing properties of a Sol Y Sombra!
The holidays are a great opportunity to purchase the wool garments that you couldn't touch in the states. The food is always wonderful, and the nightlife is hot no matter what time of the year. I enjoy the grape thing, but I can never manage all 12.
Gosh, I really wish I had the $700 for me and my companion by the middle of the month, all this talk has made me homesick, unfortunately the kids braces have to come first... Maybe my ship will come in! Soon...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments