Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50062 - 07/27/00 08:55 PM Madridman's Ladyfriend: que piensas tu?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
OK, we're all curious. In between the nuzzles (and bites of imagined cochinillo from the Duque's place), do ask your Ladyfriend what SHE thinks of your messageboard. Does she read it? Does she agree with your opinions (other than who the cutest woman in Spain is). Is she amazed that hundreds of people LOVE Madrid and Spain enough to want to talk about it every day?
MadridMan, you better be flipping a nice onion-laced tortilla as we speak... and opening a bottle of decent tinto to celebrate.

#50063 - 07/27/00 09:45 PM Re: Madridman's Ladyfriend: que piensas tu?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My ladyfriend says, "I think the message board is great and am happy that so many people want to talk about Madrid and Spain. I wish more people would know Spain better."

My ladyfriend, whom oh-so-generously made a delicious tortilla patata for us for lunch (and salad, olives, french<!> bread, and white wine from Spain <Marques de Caceres> ), had never seen my message board before today as she doesn't have internet access in Madrid. She, as I am still, is amazed that so many people visit MadridMan's Yankee Home Page and the number of emails I get everyday.

We spoke earlier today about Nuria's posted question in this forum about American's impression of Spain and Spaniards. She (the ladyfriend) thinks that most Americans see Spain as a country that lives on paella and flamenco and whose population leads a flock of sheep through the streets. hehehee..

Does she agree with my opinions? I think yes, in general. She's always telling me, however, that I'm not objective when it comes to Madrid and Spain. She's probably right. Seems I see Spain through rose-colored glasses. Keep in mind that I learn much about Spain through her and her family's experiences. Between her and reading TONS of books about Spain's years during the Spanish Civil War has given me a good perspective of what Spain has endured and (generally speaking) why they are as they are today. She loves her country and her city and a passion like her's is contagious.

Like you, rgf, I too can and want to speak about Spain everyday. Go figure! Do you think I could get away from it if I wanted to? Sure. Just don't turn on the computer. Hehheee.. Still, Spain is all around me with a bursting "library" of books on Spain, posters of Spain over my computer desk, Madrid keychains and stickers all about, postcards of Spain covering my refrigerator, and the pewter "figurines" of Don Quijote/Sancho Panza and la Puerta de Acalá next to my monitor. Strange as it would seem for a yanqui/yankee, Spain is in my blood.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50064 - 07/27/00 09:55 PM Re: Madridman's Ladyfriend: que piensas tu?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
MadridMan, so glad to know you feasted on tortilla de patata, ensalada y vino blanco. I had rioja clarete tonight along with gambas al ajillo!

As for Nuria's question.... gringos do mix up Spain with Spanish-America and the Caribbean. They also have a stereotyped image of Southern Spain (flamenco, Roma culture, etc). I think the interest in Santiago de Compostela (thanks?? to Shirley McLain's wacko book on El Camino) might shift eyes northward... mis tierras!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments