Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#50055 - 10/05/00 10:55 AM Re: Spaniards???
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
You're proving my point. You don't get that feeling from everyone but you can still feel it all over Europe. There is an underlying feeling that Americans are pompous, overinflated, rude jerks. Look at the movies we export to them! Everything about our "culture" just expresses that we are the biggest and baddest, ect. Did you see the opening ceremonies at the Olympics? Please, spare me! With the over zealous patrioticness of some of our countrymen many many europeans (and yes Spaniards are included here) just look at us as a whole and think...."oh, geez, please." What I'm saying is that this "reputation" is rightly deserved because there are so many stupid Americans roaming the world thinking they own everything and stomping on anything that's different. Have you ever been to Torrejon de Ardoz? It's a satellite suberb on the outskirts of Madrid. There was a US Air Force base there for many years. I lived in this city and believe me when I say that many Spaniards cringed at the audacity of some of these military folks. My opinion here is that many many of these military guys had no respect for the country they lived in and just thought they could go about having sex with anything that moved and tearing up the place with their camaros. I know none of us are like this and that most of us Americans are kind and gentle people but you have to recognize that this is what the Spaniards see of our culture. That visible Go USA! attitude is always in their face and it spoils it for the good people. My .02$

Leche

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 10-05-2000).]

#50056 - 10/05/00 01:11 PM Re: Spaniards???
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Okay, here is a neutral viewpoint from a Canadian who spent 6 years living in the US. Most average Americans (in the Pittsburgh area anyway) don't know a heck of a lot about Spain. Hell, most average Americans don't know squat about Canada except that the huntin' and fishin' are good, and we're right next to them!

My girlfriend while in Pittsburgh was from Madrid, and constantly got the "You must love tacos, do you speak Mexican?" treatment. Blame a poor, inward looking educational system and little interest in the outside world (again, I can only speak for the Pittsburgh area).

However, I met some cool yankees from big cities that had been to Spain and were extremely open minded.

So my theory is: big city america=openminded, small town middle america=closedminded.

Now, it seems that MadridMan is from Ohio, which is about as middle america as you can get, so there goes my theory down the toilet. Or maybe there are just exceptions to the rule!!

#50057 - 10/05/00 02:59 PM Re: Spaniards???
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
i suppose that, in defence of the american "ideal," america was founded on an expand-and-conquer principle made up of many other european cultures. was it mainly british islanders?

i think a lot of italians, dutch, germans, french, and eastern europeans came too... america has always focused on becoming the best and having its way because of the intense scrutiny it faced in the early years... america was made up of "individuals" searching for the freedom of choice (in religeon as well as other things...) and then look at all the space these europeans (and asians and africans) found when they got here... enough for everyone to have their own space without intrusion from others.

these truisms had to take their toll on american culture too. americans fight with each other bitterly about many heart felt topics... and of course americans think they are right, america made a habit of always searching for "right." this is certainly not to say that america is always right, tho. right?

we all have to pave the way for the ugly ones, and i would still defend america for what it is... ugly can also be a subjective opinion.

#50058 - 10/05/00 05:06 PM Re: Spaniards???
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
When I mentioned the reaction to a passport issued in/from Hawaii - what I intended to get across was that people (in the US as well by the way) are fascinated - and sometimes uneducated - by and about Hawaii. Even in Boston, Chicago, and NY - I have been told I speak excellent English - especially as it had to have been a second language!!!

Years ago there was a general attitude of the "Ugly American" - mostly based on economics - the have/have nots. That role was transfered to the Japanese when their economy became a powerhouse. There was a
"Ugly Japanese" attitude - in the US as well as overseas. A lot of the stereotyping of nationalities is based on economics. Yeah, I do agree that some of the military kids can get out of hand - but so can non-military kids. And so can non-kids.

I have to disagree with your comment about all Spaniards feel disdain and/or disgust for Americans as a group - I am sure they feel disgust and disdain for poorly behaved VISITORS and for those who do not respect, at least on the surface, the traditions and sensabilities of the country they are in

#50059 - 10/05/00 06:14 PM Re: Spaniards???
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
No one said ALL SPANIARDS....just quite a few. It all depends. I think alot of it is the "have's and have not's" situation. The point is that the "poorly behaved VISITORS" are the most visible ones that they see.

Leche

#50060 - 10/05/00 09:29 PM Re: Spaniards???
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
HI, I agree with the points that Puna made. I grew up in Hawaii and when I came to California, I was asked if I lived in a grass hut! Every place has its own stereotypes. When I lived in Spain I would say I was from the U.S., the response was "Oh, that's nice", but then I would get more specific and say I was from California, this seemed to get a more positive reaction, often leading to interesting discussions. I don't know why, but to many, even "Americans", California is different.
My husband, a madrileño, while watching the Olympics, made comments about the way the U.S. team portrayed themselves and especially how egocentric the network broadcasting was. I mean, they barely showed the winning teams or events that other countries won. This is how "Americans" portray ourselves to the world, so it is easy to see where the stereotypes come from.
As far as what "Americans" think of Spaniards. Even some of our friends think my husband is from "south of the border". I find it my personal goal and duty to inform as many as I can about the richeness of Spain and all it has to offer!

#50061 - 05/04/02 08:58 PM Re: Spaniards???
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
The vosotros form is most definitely used in Sevilla. My professors in Sevilla constantly said "¿Habéis leído?" or "¿Habéis estudiado?".

My Spanish friends used vosotros, and I heard it on TV, radio, in my host family's house etc etc.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1500 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments